E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

03-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #529
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwill View Post
Thanks for the great write-up, really helpful. About this part, are you saying if we do not want to continue supplying GPS signal to the ccc, we don't have to buy the adapter? Or is this needed in any case?

Thanks
Eventually boils down to following choices:

1. Use supplied black box for android GPS (depending on antenna location signal may not be best - definitely worse compared to OEM sharkfin placement).

2. Don't use GPS at all because car supplied GPS connector will not reach.

3. Splice car OEM GPS wire and solder with supplied (black box) connector.

4. Buy splitter cable (and some soldering) to retain OEM connector (reversible) and have GPS.

There was some issue with fitting GPS to the CCC idrive unit. (With the splitter i bought).

So the LVDS connector in the CCC unit (screen signal cable) has L shaped bend that is over the GPS connector.

Splitter GPS (i bought) does not have L bend and i going straight out from the socket. If you can try find splitter cable with metal connector on the other side (i bought wrong connector which is why needed to solder).

This would mean only one connector can be used at once for CCC unit. (LVDS - screen signal or GPS signal).

Thus i made decision not to supply GPS to the CCC idrive unit.

If you don't use CCC side navigation then don't really need to supply GPS signal there

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 03-13-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #530
Ron ///Man
Chief Mambo
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I'm considering one of these units because they are such a great technology upswing but was wondering how significant the glare is on the screen? I had a similar unit in my E46 and just normal daytime glare from light coming thru the back window made it difficult to read the screen, and full sun made it impossible. I put the glare reducer on and it was distorted and still had too much glare. The E90 has a nice eyebrow to shield some of the light, but still would like to know how people really feel about glare. It was so bad on my E46, I was about to remove the unit, but wound up selling the car.

Last edited by Ron ///Man; 03-24-2020 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:37 AM   #531
ahewitt76
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92 2008

What is the consensus on the best Android Auto (wireless?) unit to install into a 2008 e92 with idrive? I was looking at the avinusa units but somewhere in the middle of this thread there was suggestions that there are essentially the same units being sold on AliExpress for much cheaper? Can I please get a current recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #532
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

How do Android 10 ones compare to CIC to upgrade from CCC?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #533
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #534
Joxerdaly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Hi I'm hoping someone may be able to help me, I have tried the search function here but haven't been able to find the information. Has anyone here got details of the aux audio connection on their 9.0 unit? If I open an app such as Audiotool and play a test tone (left side audio only) then only my right side speakers play audio, but if I play a right side only test tone; then both left and right side speakers play but at a reduced level. My unit is a 64g 4gb 4g andream unit with android 9.0. I have never been fully happy with the audio quality from it so I stripped the supplied harness to trace the wires. The Audio output from the android unit patches directly into the AUX wiring on the BMW loom. If anyone would like pinouts for all the connectors just let me know and I will post

Has anyone tried this before and do they get the same results? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #535
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
just installed mine (not a AVIN unit) and i wonder why i wanted a CIC.. this really beats CIC and i still get my CCC still working and can switch to it when i want to

plus now CCC is in higher resolution (1280 x 480 )
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #536
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky82 View Post
Quote:
just installed mine (not a AVIN unit) and i wonder why i wanted a CIC.. this really beats CIC and i still get my CCC still working and can switch to it when i want to

It might beat it in looks but it's still lacking in the sound department..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #537
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

i think audio can be improved by using a dac from most accounts. It will be better than oem.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #538
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky82 View Post
Quote:

It might beat it in looks but it's still lacking in the sound department..
Very slightly

It wasn't bad at all in audio

Definitely was not bang on loke stock. But using the aux in from the head unit. I'll live and if I really want to get back stock... I'll run a Y cable to the aux and get my phone to connect directly with another 3.5 or bluetooth adaptor i have

Easy to get around it and much rather the android with all its features over ccc which is dated
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #539
AlsoBoris
Rep
Drives: 09 335i OEM M3 Clone

Skimmed through all 25 pages of this thread. Looks like at first they weren't great but there's some hope for the new snapdragon ones (with bluetooth 4.0). I'd like for this to be able to work with JB4 & MHD Backend flash. Do these snapdragon ones still only support datalogging? Sounds to me like the sound has improved slightly but still not that great.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #540
AviatorBimmerFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92

Hey guys, I finally installed the new Android 10 CCC version that has the new Qualcomm processor with 4G LTE.

Has anyone been able to get this to connect with a Verizon LTE sim card?

Every time I start it up, it will connect and the 4G symbol lights up. I am able to open a browser and even load YouTube BUT it will disconnect after 30 seconds or so.

It will not reconnect and when checking the sim card status in settings, it says it's in Emergency 911 mode.

I do notice that when it does connect after a reboot, it will not register a phone number even when it's connected to 4G.

Could it be that there is a wrong setting or something?

Of course I called Verizon and after giving them the unit's IMEI number, they said it's not in there database and not compatible. Even though it connects just fine albeit for 30 seconds.
      05-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #541
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxerdaly View Post
Hi I'm hoping someone may be able to help me, I have tried the search function here but haven't been able to find the information. Has anyone here got details of the aux audio connection on their 9.0 unit? If I open an app such as Audiotool and play a test tone (left side audio only) then only my right side speakers play audio, but if I play a right side only test tone; then both left and right side speakers play but at a reduced level. My unit is a 64g 4gb 4g andream unit with android 9.0. I have never been fully happy with the audio quality from it so I stripped the supplied harness to trace the wires. The Audio output from the android unit patches directly into the AUX wiring on the BMW loom. If anyone would like pinouts for all the connectors just let me know and I will post

Has anyone tried this before and do they get the same results? Thanks
Wonder if we're going that far, if turning that signal into a RCA pigtail split then running direct to an amp might not be a better option. My understanding is the unit currently displays only AUX-in on the stock radio unit. Basically this unit is the audio quality of a WMA3000B but without the data (though data on screen).

Hows the phone connection and sound? Heard the mic setup was questionable. They also say all the buttons on the steering wheel work...but does that still include the phone and vocal command?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #542
Zodiam
Registered
Rep
Drives: B8 A4, E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post
Hey guys, I finally installed the new Android 10 CCC version that has the new Qualcomm processor with 4G LTE.

Every time I start it up, it will connect and the 4G symbol lights up. I am able to open a browser and even load YouTube BUT it will disconnect after 30 seconds or so.

It will not reconnect and when checking the sim card status in settings, it says it's in Emergency 911 mode.

I do notice that when it does connect after a reboot, it will not register a phone number even when it's connected to 4G.

Of course I called Verizon and after giving them the unit's IMEI number, they said it's not in there database and not compatible. Even though it connects just fine albeit for 30 seconds.

Sorry to hijack your post, but i was wondering how the sound quality is on this newer unit? The old ones seem to have been not so good according to this thread.. Possibly buying an E92 without BT or USB and i would get this device to get proper bluetooth/spotify, etc usage. Is it comparable to stock?

Last edited by Zodiam; 06-05-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #543
Jstever8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 E90

New PX6 Installation

Purchased and installed a PX6 unit in my 2011 E90 Logic7. My car did not have an existing screen, so I had to cut out the dash. During the installation, I found that the AUX jumper on the back of the harness did not work, so I had to run an aux cable to the center console.

Audio wise, I noticed initially that the bass was very muffled. After some adjustments to volume and EQ, it sounds nearly identical to having my phone connected via USB from what I can tell.

In hindsight, I wish I would have went ahead and purchased the Snapdragon variant.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #544
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorBimmerFL View Post

I think it is Verizon disconnecting the connection because they sense that it is not a "phone". Your new screen acts like an Android tablet, and some carriers only allow Data only SIM to connect those devices.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #545
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
Hi

I discovered you can have one of the 1...8 buttons set as AUX input (in my case set 8 as Aux input).
1...7 are set as radio stations.
Are you referring to the 6 radio station buttons in the attached pictures? How do you set 1 of them to be the AUX input? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #546
mckwong
Private
Rep

Harness Wiring Questions

I am trying to install a 10.25" Snapdragon 625 4+64GB LTE in my E90 with no screen, base radio (not logic 7) and basic bluetooth (BT phone only, no streaming), and I have some questions on the wiring of the main harness.

1. The main harness has a Audio In plug and it is connected to the Audio Out jack. However, there is no sound when I select AUX on my factory radio. I had to disconnect them and connect the Audio Out to the AUX IN in the armrest. Is this the only way to get sound?

2. There are two wires that are not connected to anything. ACC and LIN. What are these wires for?

3. The round buzzer does not make any sound when I tested the unit. What is it for? Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by mckwong; 06-14-2020 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: add pictures
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #547
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
I am trying to install a 10.25" Snapdragon 625 4+64GB LTE in my E90 with no screen, base radio (not logic 7) and basic bluetooth (BT phone only, no streaming), and I have some questions on the wiring of the main harness.

1. The main harness has a Audio In plug and it is connected to the Audio Out jack. However, there is no sound when I select AUX on my factory radio. I had to disconnect them and connect the Audio Out to the AUX IN in the armrest. Is this the only way to get sound?

2. There are two wires that are not connected to anything. ACC and LIN. What are these wires for?

3. The round buzzer does not make any sound when I tested the unit. What is it for? Thanks.
Having same question, but in a e93 m3 with individual...

Can uou try this... in the factory settings there is an option for “auto aux switching”. Enable that and see if audio passes through. I watched a video on youtube where a guy says that fixed his issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #548
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
Having same question, but in a e93 m3 with individual...

Can uou try this... in the factory settings there is an option for “auto aux switching”. Enable that and see if audio passes through. I watched a video on youtube where a guy says that fixed his issue.
I went into the factory settings and the AUX is already in AUTO. I switched it to Manual and back to AUTO, and it does not do anything. I asked the seller about this and they said I need to use the AUX in from the armrest. I think the main harness Audio In is made for E90 that has an original screen, so it can take audio from the screen. For those of us without an original screen, we need to use the AUX in from the armrest. The seller also said I don't need to connect the red ACC wire, but did not answer what to do with the pink LIN wire. The round thing is a speaker. I think I will leave it on the harness to test it, and if it does not make any sound, I will remove it.

I notice in factory settings, there is a settings to choose if it is Harman/Alpine/Other. Do you know if I should choose Other since I have the base system (HiFi)?

Last edited by mckwong; 06-18-2020 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #549
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

The speaker is probably your reverse beeper.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #550
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Man this is a pita to get the radio back in in an e93. The harness is so short and blocking the back. I cant get the glovebox out either. Seems different from e90 and e92 gloveboxes
Appreciate 0