E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

06-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #551
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Guys, for those who don't already have idrive there is a a better unit IMO without cutting your dash that's a way bigger value. I installed it last night. I'm going to do a diy on it. Its a joying 10.25" universal unit. I'll post soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #552
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hey Guys, this is the diy I did. Will put a more in depth review in soon.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...6#post26341566

I put it up on youtube.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #553
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
Hey Guys, this is the diy I did. Will put a more in depth review in soon.
Your setup came out better than I thought. I think if one plans to use the GPS, then it makes sense to have the unit on the dash, so he does not need to stare down to the screen. Cutting the dash takes some work, but at the end, I personally think it looks more factory stock, but I understand not everyone is comfortable cutting the dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #554
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
Man this is a pita to get the radio back in in an e93. The harness is so short and blocking the back. I cant get the glovebox out either. Seems different from e90 and e92 gloveboxes
On e90, there is a cavity on the left side behind the radio, and it connects to the bottom cavity behind the A/C control. I was able to tuck the big piles of wires there. There is a back plate covering the fuse box in the glove box. It is secured by two plastic fasteners. You turn the fasteners 90 degree, and can remove the back plate, giving you access to the fuse box. There is no need to take off the glove box. I am not sure if e93 is different.

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/2004-...-chart-diagram
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #555
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
Your setup came out better than I thought. I think if one plans to use the GPS, then it makes sense to have the unit on the dash, so he does not need to stare down to the screen. Cutting the dash takes some work, but at the end, I personally think it looks more factory stock, but I understand not everyone is comfortable cutting the dash.
I agree 100%. The least dangerous place to have a screen is higher up on the dash. Its the most ergonomic and keeps your vision closer to the road. Someone should develop an android based universal HUD to help with this issue for GPS.

Honestly, it's not just the dash cutting. These joying units have a digital output and from most accounts the sound quality on the CIC/NBT android units is quite poor as it uses the aux connection on the head unit. I have heard of work arounds using a DAC but I am not too inclined to cut the dash and the costs on the avin type units are usually a fair bit higher. Then you need carplay dongles etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:12 AM   #556
mckwong
Private
Rep

I installed my 10.25" Android screen, and I want to share some installation tips to help DIYers who do the installation themselves:

1. The dash has 3 layers. The top thin leather-like skin, the middle form, and the bottom hard plastic. A sharp cutter will cut the top 2 layers clean. I then drilled a hole at each bottom corner and used a jigsaw to cut the bottom edge. Then I used a 6" hacksaw to cut the top curve. I am not good with jigsaw so I played it safe and used a hacksaw. Jigsaw is cleaner and faster than a dremel. The template is a bit conservative, and I had to cut an additional 5mm on the bottom to make the unit sit flush.

2. I stuck the LTE (4G models only) antenna on top of the bracket mounting holes, perfect fit. See picture. And the GPS antenna upside down to the plastic in the middle of the center vent. Being upside down, the GPS antenna is not at the optimal position, but it sees the birds just fine.

3. There are 2 holes for the mounting bracket, but only 1 hole has a torx screw installed. Apparently 2 screws are more secure than 1. I found a 10 x 3/4 trim screw at Lowes that fits the empty hole. I took a picture of the original torx screw with a penny, so you can resize the picture and get a screw that is close to it.
Attached Images

Last edited by mckwong; 06-27-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #557
preppyr6
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

For those installing the CCC version (or maybe also the CIC), how are you getting the nav unit reinstalled? With the wire harness pigtail plug, I cant seem to get enough clearance to to get the nav unit flush. Ive tried tucking it to the bottom right and bottom left and for some reason am just really struggling with this thing.

EDIT: Sorted it out via this link. Super tight fit, but it worked.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688046

Last edited by preppyr6; 08-05-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #558
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I remember it was difficult. It does fit though, I think i had to remove the glove box or the liner and pull the plug to that side. It was one side or the other, but I seem to remember glove box side. 2011 E93 M3. Avin unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #559
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky82 View Post
just installed mine (not a AVIN unit) and i wonder why i wanted a CIC.. this really beats CIC and i still get my CCC still working and can switch to it when i want to

plus now CCC is in higher resolution (1280 x 480 )
How do you switch back and forth between android and CCC? I don’t want to lose the OEM warnings, TPMS and such, but want CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #560
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i/2014 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Quote:
just installed mine (not a AVIN unit) and i wonder why i wanted a CIC.. this really beats CIC and i still get my CCC still working and can switch to it when i want to

How do you switch back and forth between android and CCC? I don’t want to lose the OEM warnings, TPMS and such, but want CarPlay.
Press and hold the menu button for 3 seconds and it toggles back and forth
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #561
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you switch back and forth between android and CCC? I don't want to lose the OEM warnings, TPMS and such, but want CarPlay.
Thanks!

Do you feel like the sound quality is any worse? I'm currently streaming Bluetooth via aux in the center console using Tune2air. I'd imagine it's not.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #562
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you switch back and forth between android and CCC? I don't want to lose the OEM warnings, TPMS and such, but want CarPlay.
Thanks!

Do you feel like the sound quality is any worse? I'm currently streaming Bluetooth via aux in the center console using Tune2air. I'd imagine it's not.
Honestly I don't hear a sound difference. Others might argue they do tho but I do not.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #563
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Quote:

Where did you get yours from as I'm in the GTA as well.

Looking into getting one as I'm tired of having wires dangling all over, using a BT dongle and using the dated CCC nav when needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #564
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink15 View Post
Quote:

Where did you get yours from as I'm in the GTA as well.

Looking into getting one as I'm tired of having wires dangling all over, using a BT dongle and using the dated CCC nav when needed.
Aliexpress
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #565
BayAreaE93
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hello everyone, new here. Does anyone know of a unit on AliExpress that is identical to the $399 AVIN USA 8.8" E90/E92 CCC module? I'm pretty sure almost everything they sell is AliExpress sourced with an upcharge. I believe I could get an identical one from Ali for $50-$100 less than Avin, just can't weed through all the terrible English. I also plan on getting a wireless carplay adapter. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #566
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Honestly I don't hear a sound difference. Others might argue they do tho but I do not.
I thought the AVIN utilized the aux connection for its main signal?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #567
jbuchan83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

I have just purchased an Avin head unit for my e90 and installed it myself. It was realatively easy.

My feedback - If you are (like myself) thinking about paying extra for an avin product thinking you'll get tech support, you won't. You're better off going with one of the better aliexpress products, they're probably the same thing.

Question for everyone on here - has anyone had an success with the splash page/boot logo with an Avin unit? I can't get my to work. I've tried to upload different files etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #568
sky82
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I thought the AVIN utilized the aux connection for its main signal?
No idea. Not using avin
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #569
1st2nd8th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i

hey y'all. have you tried your sound system if you have reverse audio output? like right sounds goes to left stereo?

just go to YouTube app and try one of those left and right audio test and then try if you have similar problem to mine.

i found the fix to that. just find the aux cable for the sound(if you're using the logic7) then switch the red and white wire and do exactly what I did in the picture below.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #570
Lazardm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Interlagos Blue M3

Hey guys, I'm thinking of grabbing one of these units off Aliexpress.

Question, are these units capable of streaming bluetooth output?

I recently did combox and love the BT sound quality. I'd love to be able to use this as a bt output device to pair with the combox. Has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #571
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

What about those of us who use MOST fiber optic Locic7? How is the audio quality? I don't want to go through a 3.5mm phono jack for audio if I can help it. Also, what about Bluetooth? I already upgraded to a CIC with Bluetooth module that works great but I would like to just have a modern Android system for mapping, etc. Also, will the stock microphone for the phone, still work as good through the aftermarket unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #572
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Different BMW systems

If anyone else just like me who just bought an E90 and doesn't follow all the different stereos offered, here is the breakdown:

https://musicarnw.com/bmw-sound-syst...us-model-year/

For the answer to the number 1 question I see asked in this thread, "will I or won't I be able to avoid using the AUX in". You have to know what system you have, I see lots of people with non-Logic-7 calling it the "base" but there is also the HiFi which is prolly what they meant. Base = no amp, HiFi = Amp, Logic-7 = Amp plus extra speakers.

No one has taken the time to figure it out. The trends I'm seeing are Logic-7 (which also has 5 other names like Harman) = Use Aux. If you do a VIN options lookup online and have the below HiFi system with "S6VC Control, Combox" you can use optical MOST and it won't use AUX, you may or may not still need to plug in the cable and you may or may not have to enter the system settings and toggle through the different AUX options but you shouldn't need AUX. Someone even said if you have both AUX and MOST hooked up it defaults to AUX and sound quality sucks so unplug it.

S639 Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S663 Radio BMW Professional
S676 HiFi Speaker System
S693 Preparation BMW Satellite Radio
S697 Area-Code 1 For DVD
S6AA BMW TeleServices
S6AB Control, Teleservices
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S6VC Control, Combox

Last edited by toy4two; 12-02-2020 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0