E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone here have Swift Springs and care to share their thoughts?

06-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Anyone here have Swift Springs and care to share their thoughts?

I'm planning on refreshing my suspension soon and so far I have a pretty good idea of the route i'm going to go with. Right now the car is sitting on original ZSP suspension with 18x9 ET30 235/40/18 front and 18x9.5 ET35 265/35/18 rear Apex Arc-8s. The car is daily driven around 18k miles a year and sees mainly freeway and country back roads. Considering the mileage I drive, I wanted to stick with a traditional spring/shock combo as I do not want to have to replace/revalve coilovers after 2-3 years.

The setup i'm looking at currently is this: FCP Euro M3 control arms, Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, and Swift Springs. I do not mind a stiffer ride, hence why I am leaning towards the Swift springs, though I am a bit worried about the ride height. Typically the backroads that I drive on aren't exactly the smoothest, so I don't want a setup that will constantly rub or bottom out while driving spiritedly.

Does anyone here have a similar setup or any experience with Swift Springs? I am curious to hear any and all thoughts on them. Pics would be sweet too.

My other option was the Eibach springs, but i'm all ears if someone has another suggestion.

Thanks!
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Instead of Eibach get the BMW PS yellow springs or Dinan springs, same drop as Eibach but a bit stiffer spring rate which is comparable to m3 rates.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Instead of Eibach get the BMW PS yellow springs or Dinan springs, same drop as Eibach but a bit stiffer spring rate which is comparable to m3 rates.
I was under the impression that the Eibach springs were a bit more aggressive in their spring rates and the amount they lower compared to the Dinan/BMW springs. If I went with the BMW PS I would probably just get the whole performance refresh kit from BMW as I can get a pretty serious discount on it.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I was under the impression that the Eibach springs were a bit more aggressive in their spring rates and the amount they lower compared to the Dinan/BMW springs. If I went with the BMW PS I would probably just get the whole performance refresh kit from BMW as I can get a pretty serious discount on it.
No the spring rates are exactly the same as stock m-sport, the rears may have a .25" lowering to them compared to either BMW or Dinan's but more or less the exact same front drop. BMW and Dinan both will give that classic 'bmw' raked look where eibach will look more street tuned/dropped if that makes sense. Least that's how I picture them when I was researching.

Hmm well if you can get a pretty good discount on the BMW PS then I would totally purchase it... and sell everything else off but the springs . The shocks/struts are universally perceived by all on here that the damping is way to soft for them and the FSB is not anything to write home about either, hell an M3 fsb would be a better option.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      06-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Concur. BMW performance shocks are only slight upgrade from factory sport shocks. Its good choice for some, but with koni yellows the same price, its a hard sell IMHO. For same price, you can get this:

Attachment 1844114
Chris, I know you have helped me in my final decision making process for this refresh but I wanted to verify a few more things. I am really leaning towards the Swift springs for the linear/stiffer rates, but the only hesitation I have is the ride height with my wheel/tire setup. If I went with one of your prebuilt kits with the new spring pads, perches, etc, I assume it won't be as low as some of the cars on here with the springs on OEM ZSP shocks?

Also, to verify, the Eibach springs are the same rates as ZSP springs, but they're just lower?

Are the Dinan springs the same as the BMW yellow perf springs? or are they different rates/ride heights?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries...
1. Our kits come with all new springs pads, strut mounts, etc. so ride height will be as high as it can be, but lower than with Eibachs.
2. Eibach and ZSP have close to same spring rates.
3. Dinan and BMWPS are almost the same in every way.
I haven't been able to find much specific information on the Dinan/BMW PS springs. How much would you say they would lower from OEM ZSP suspension?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I haven't been able to find much specific information on the Dinan springs. How much would you say they would lower from OEM ZSP suspension?
?

The Dinan information is easily found on the specific product page of their website.

PS: Please give Chris the business and allow him to put this kit together for you. Gathering the parts yourself to make this happen sounds like it would be a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
?

The Dinan information is easily found on the specific product page of their website.

PS: Please give Chris the business and allow him to put this kit together for you. Gathering the parts yourself to make this happen sounds like it would be a nightmare.
The dinan website says .5" lower in the front and no lowering in the rear. They do not state if that is from non-sport or sport suspension though. I have also read on here that some people see no drop at all.

I am very much so planning on going through chris for the setup. Even if I could save a few bucks matching the parts myself, I have no issue spending a few more $$$ to be 100% sure that everything will be correct and plug and play. Expertise is worth the premium in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sport
Just got off the phone with one of the Dinan sales reps... He mentioned that the .5" lowering is from "normal" suspension and not sport. I feel as if that doesn't make sense as ZSP is lower in both the front and rear than the non-sport suspension. That would mean that Dinan is higher in the rear than ZSP?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No...countless peeps have posted pics of going from Sport to Dinan springs. ~0.5" shorter up front, 'bout the same as stock in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No...countless peeps have posted pics of going from Sport to Dinan springs. ~0.5" shorter up front, 'bout the same as stock in the rear.
Thats what I figured, as .5 drop from non-sport wouldn't make too much sense. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yup, def...especially up front; at least until the upper strut mount wears in.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Remember, a worn suspension is already "sagging" about a half inch. So when you add Dinan springs but also refresh your shocks, strut mounts, and spring pads, you will likely see no additional drop. It might even be a little bit higher until the springs settle. Bottom line: If you have a worn suspension, but still want a little more of a drop, get Eibach springs.
Quote:
Yup, def...especially up front; at least until the upper strut mount wears in.
My car is currently at 86k miles and as far as I know the suspension is still all original. Here are some pictures as it sits currently. Would you say there is some sag as it sits?

View post on imgur.com

I'm really set on the swift/koni kit, but I am just a bit worried that the rear might end up too low or I might rub in the front on the fender liner. I have no problem with driving a low car, as I have had plenty before, but I don't want to compromise spirited drivability if the setup causes rubbing in certain driving situations. I like the rear ride height the eibachs offer, but the stiffer, linear rates of the swifts are what keep bringing me back.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You can always "shim" the rear to whatever height you want. Also easy to "raise" the front using different spring perches and/or clevis height adjustments...check some previous threads on the topic within this sub-forum.
Appreciate 0