E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dr. Colorchip experience?

12-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Dr. Colorchip experience?

I used Dr. Colorchip on my BSM E90 today, and here are my observations. Can someone with experience with this product please confirm if my findings are normal?

If I applied the paint by itself and let it dry, it would dry to a glossy finish much like the clear-coated paint on the car. It would be almost a perfect match in both color and finish (sheen).

HOWEVER, if I then use the SealAct to wipe away the excess paint, the paint remaining in the chip would lose its glossy finish. Also, the color would turn a bit lighter than the dark BSM (Black Sapphire Metallic) that I saw before applying the SealAct. As such, while the result was having the chip filled-in, the color/finish match didn't quite end up to be as perfect as I had hoped for.

Anyone noticed the same thing? I ended up just using the paint with a toothpick and filled in the chips as carefully as I could and didn't bother with the SealAct afterwards. It saved time and yielded a better result. But then that kinda misses the point of the product and I felt kind of dumb paying $50 for the kit just for the paint. That said though, the paint is thinner than OEM touch-up paint, so it was definitely easier to work with and control.

Thoughts guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
I used Dr. Colorchip on my BSM E90 today, and here are my observations. Can someone with experience with this product please confirm if my findings are normal?

If I applied the paint by itself and let it dry, it would dry to a glossy finish much like the clear-coated paint on the car. It would be almost a perfect match in both color and finish (sheen).

HOWEVER, if I then use the SealAct to wipe away the excess paint, the paint remaining in the chip would lose its glossy finish. Also, the color would turn a bit lighter than the dark BSM (Black Sapphire Metallic) that I saw before applying the SealAct. As such, while the result was having the chip filled-in, the color/finish match didn't quite end up to be as perfect as I had hoped for.

Anyone noticed the same thing? I ended up just using the paint with a toothpick and filled in the chips as carefully as I could and didn't bother with the SealAct afterwards. It saved time and yielded a better result. But then that kinda misses the point of the product and I felt kind of dumb paying $50 for the kit just for the paint. That said though, the paint is thinner than OEM touch-up paint, so it was definitely easier to work with and control.

Thoughts guys?
Let the filled chips dry and then apply factory clear coat
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Let the filled chips dry and then apply factory clear coat
In that case I might as well just use the OEM touch-up paint. That would totally defeat the purpose of the Dr. Colorchip kit. As well, if I want a finish that's level with the rest of the paint, I would have to sand the clear coat and then polish. Again, that would defeat the purpose of the kit.

So nobody else has experience using Dr. Colorchip?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

I had a similar experience with you on Monaco Blue paint. I had a ton of smaller chips on my bumper and a couple of large ones that I did with factory touch up paint first. There is definitely a difference between the two colors, OEM and Dr. Colorchip, and the Seal Act is to blame. I did the rest of the bumper without using Seal Act and all of the chips matched.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92 View Post
I had a similar experience with you on Monaco Blue paint. I had a ton of smaller chips on my bumper and a couple of large ones that I did with factory touch up paint first. There is definitely a difference between the two colors, OEM and Dr. Colorchip, and the Seal Act is to blame. I did the rest of the bumper without using Seal Act and all of the chips matched.
Thanks for corroborating my experience OzCoE92. At least I know it's not due to a fault of my own.

This is rather frustrating though. I really don't see how they can justify selling a product that behaves this way. I'm just going to use the paint as regular touch-up paint for conspicuous areas like the hood and use the SealAct on other less-visible areas like the lower front bumper...
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I’ve been using Dr. ColorChip for a rash of little chips on my bumper that I acquired driving cross country...I dont know that I really notice the difference in color on my sparkling gray metallic. The chips aren’t completely filled in and they’re not quite the same gloss as the undamaged paint. That said...my bumper had hundreds of little chips on it and it look hundreds of times better now. It’s not show quality, but I did the whole bumper in 2 hours for a $75 investment...to me it’s been well worth it...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Tried the factory paint the Dr Colorchip seemed to Match better
and was easier to work with . Doesn't glob as much and conforms
better . It is not as miraculous as the add but much better than the factory stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
LaynEE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335I

I have used dr color chip and have the same color as the op.. exact same problem. I think im going to have to pitch the seal act as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

I used it over an egg shell impact from the previous owner on platinum grey metallic.

A little tricky to do but looks a lot better. Not completely gone but hardly noticeable.

Color is spot on and the sealact works.
I waited a week before applying Optimum gloss coat
Appreciate 0