E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

05-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #265
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRedE93 View Post
I had my 320i next to a wall and started it up, could have been mistaken for a diesel sounded like a bag of bolts
Oh God, yeah, mine is noisy, although you can't really hear it when you're sitting inside. I queried this when it was in at teh dealers and they read me a statement from BMW - "..which we are not allowed to give you a copy of..." that basically said 'that is the way these high-speed injection engines sound'.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 04:06 AM   #266
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

320i is indeed noisy at tickover but still not as bad as 320d.....and once running there is no comparison...

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #267
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I would take a little issue with that comment. At least inside the car, above tickover there is no discernable "diesel" sound and there is nothing raucous about the engine even when travelling a bit. This is my first diesel in over 35 years of driving and I have been pleasantly surprised by it's overall refinement.
Sitting at around 80 it is much the quietest engine I have ever had and leaves your ears free to enjoy the road rumble and less than airtight window seals.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #268
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I would take a little issue with that comment. At least inside the car, above tickover there is no discernable "diesel" sound and there is nothing raucous about the engine even when travelling a bit. This is my first diesel in over 35 years of driving and I have been pleasantly surprised by it's overall refinement.
Sitting at around 80 it is much the quietest engine I have ever had and leaves your ears free to enjoy the road rumble and less than airtight window seals.
Fair enough - your opinion.....however I had an E90 320d for 2 years prior to the 320i which I have now....so feel that I am qualified to comment....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #269
macka
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
As remembered by chris:
Macka, did you ever get back to this thread to let us know if the EGR valve replacement did the trick?
Yeah hey. I wrote in other thread that it did the trick and no more idle rev "weaveing" and i did almost 3k km from repair. Car feels like it has its "power" back. Thats why i did dyno to see if engine produce expected power after EGR replacement.

Anyway today my car is in service again ... now theres something wrong with the clutch i think ... ill report more when dealer call me what they found.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #270
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macka View Post
Yeah hey. I wrote in other thread that it did the trick and no more idle rev "weaveing" and i did almost 3k km from repair. Car feels like it has its "power" back. Thats why i did dyno to see if engine produce expected power after EGR replacement.

Anyway today my car is in service again ... now theres something wrong with the clutch i think ... ill report more when dealer call me what they found.
Thanks for getting back to us Macka. Finngers crossed, I have not suffered 'the limp' since picking my car up on Friday. Maybe an EGR valve replacement actually is a genuine important step on the road to recovery? Or is it just something BMW technicians are instructed to try, without any real confidence that it will do teh trick?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #271
macka
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Coupe E92

Just got back my car from dealer and f@#$% shit i had clutch replaced. This is first time in my life whan i have clutch replaced befor 80k - 100k km. I have my car from january and did 14k km so far and the clutch f**ked up totaly.

I must say im starting to dubt in quality of nowaday BMW cars.

Anyway still no limp or rev waveing from EGR replacement - personally i think this can be right solution.

Good luck with your cars guys, we are all driving the same shit
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #272
de lukke
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E 93 320i A

Help!
Yesterday my engine suddenly turned very irregular.
Got error with flashing orange engine icon on my screen.
Also, almost no power anymore.
What do you think what shall be the problem?
Monday newly diagnosed with my review dealer

E93 320I ,2008, 7500 km

Grts, de lukke
      05-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #273
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Well, having had the car for just over a week now since the dealer 'fixed' it by replacing an EGR valve, I really had mu fingers crossed.... but just had an incident which, if it had happened in other circumstances, could be extremely dangerous: I was going up a slight slope on an A road, in 4th gear, and went over a slight bump, suddenly I was plunged into what I thought was the worst limp mode I've ever experienced... could not get the car to do anything at all, in any gear.

Then I notcied that the circle/arrow with the big 'A' in it was showing on the dash - ie. the car's 'auto stop-start' had kicked in while I was moving (probably doing close to 40mph). Sh1t! I thought it was 'auto' stop, not 'impromptu' stop. I pulled quickly into a side street and, once the car actually came to rest, it restarted itself. No engine warning signs or anything like that showing. But what if this had happened on teh motorway? Freaks me out.

So, looks like I'm going back to teh dealer yet again. F'sake. I think I'm going to get in touch with BMW UK and see what they have to say, thi sis a dangerous problem......

Happy Bankholiday weekending folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #274
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Right, email sent to the dealer this morning, asking for written confirmation of what BMW's official position is on this issue/range of issues. If they cannot definitively identify and fix the problem this time, I am going to escalate the matter.

But, what can I realistically expect BMW to do? And, if I could pick & choose what I would like them, ideally, to do, what would that even be? Some obvious options:

1. Give me a replacement car. But another 318i (or 320i) would be highly likely to have these same problems. So not an attractive option.

2. Give me a full cash refund. Normally this would be the preferred outcome when returning faulty goods, but then what?

3. Make a cash contribution which allows me to switch to a 6 cylinder BMW and therefore (?) avoid these engine problems?

Well, number three would be the obvious pick for me, even if a 325i would cause a serious hike in my insurance premiums. But are BMW likely to do ths, at no extra cost to me? Because if they want *yet more money*, even if it is to get into a superior car, I don't think I want to do that.

Anybody got any better guesses/advice? Obviously there is still the opssibility that they will stick with this option:

4. Continue to try a series of measures - install new software, change this or that part, etc. - which they hope (but don't really believe) might 'fix' it.....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #275
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Not good reading - sorry to hear of your problems chaps...

As far as I am concerned I have been advised that a Technical Manager is going to examine/test my car.......however its now 10 days since that was promised and I have no more news yet....I'm sure the likely result of that, when it happens, will be that he says its within tolerances or some such crap......

So....I will be back to square one and in the same position as FM above - what do I want to try and get?

Personally I have come to the conclusion that the only realistic solution is to try and get a 320d replacement, or get out of BMW's and trade in against an A5......

Oh, 3rd possible option is if we rejig our "fleet" and get rid of the Touareg for a 5series Touring......

On Friday, having waited a week for a response, I was told by Customer Services to be patient...........I told them that since the faults started in November I had no reason to be patient!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #276
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Not good reading - sorry to hear of your problems chaps...

On Friday, having waited a week for a response, I was told by Customer Services to be patient...........I told them that since the faults started in November I had no reason to be patient!!!!!!!
Ooof! Not very encouraging! So if my dealer doesn't get back to me with some sort of solution, escalating the matter to BMW won't guarantee me a much better response?

I wonder where we, collectively, stand on this, in terms of consumer rights? I wonder, also, what we might be able to do which could rouse BMW to action? Maybe contacting Watchdog or something like that? Can BMW really get away with seeling cars which are prone to suddenly cutting out, leaving the motorist to handle the potentially fatal situation?

It really is maddening. If the BMW 3 Series (petrol) range begins at 318i, then the lowest car a customer needs to buy to get a decent engine should be 318i, not 325i. If BMW are selling 4 cylinder engines then they surely have just as much of a responsibility to ensure those engines function correctly as they do for the 335i.

I await my dealer's response.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #277
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

Follow up from my post 8th May.

Although the car appeared much better after the software update, it soon became apparent it was still not right, so I booked it in again. Luckily the day before it went in the Engine Low power light came on briefly, so I had some positive proof something is wrong, {I get the impression they were just humouring me when I booked it in}.

Anyway, they diagnosed it needed a new Camshaft Sensor, which was ordered and fitted the next day.

Amazingly after two days it seems back to normal, still not much power under 2000rpm, but it does pull up hills a little bit better now.

Fingers crossed it stays that way, the mpg seems a bit better since the software update, I got about 35mpg touring round north wales last week.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #278
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Update Pending...

My car is now in the dealer's, again, and they are keeping it until "at least Monday, but probably longer". This time, I did actually get to speak directly to an engineer, rather than having to pass everything through the servicing department.

They said they will not give me my car back until they are satisfied that they have fixed it, which could be taken as either reassuring or ominous depending on your level of optimism!

I have told them that I regard this as the last chance for the car to be fixed, if I get it back and it cuts out again, I am going to do all I can to push for either a full refund, or a payment from BMW which allows me to get out of the 4 cylinder engine and into a 6.

The engineer I spoke to did say that BMW will always be reluctant to admit they have a general problem, and they won't let an engineer just put a new ECU in the car just because that engineer reckons a new ECU is required, he has to go through certain procedures, or jump through certain hoops, first.

Lets see what happens now. A lot depends on whether he can get my car to exhibit 'limp mode' (or cut out), which could take some time since the problem is intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #279
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

At BMW's suggestions I have just had a day in the dealer's 320i demonstrator. Although it was a manual so not directly comparable, it didnt seem to exhibit the issues I have with mine. So they are going away to think what to do next..........

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #280
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
At BMW's suggestions I have just had a day in the dealer's 320i demonstrator. Although it was a manual so not directly comparable, it didnt seem to exhibit the issues I have with mine. So they are going away to think what to do next..........
Hi Chris. Interesting idea. As usual, my dealer has me driving a 320d SE, which I find about as much fun to drive as a bus. It would certainly be interesting to try another equivalent car to my own for a while, but I doubt they have one handy. I'll maybe suggest this to them and see what they say...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #281
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I've had a E90 320i SE for two weeks and now I have a E93 325i MSport for the past two weeks. There is no sign of my car coming back soon. It went in on the 28th and so far it is getting a new cylinder head & pistons.

I have no reason to complain other than the E93 vert has a smaller boot - but with some juggling of my kit I can get the hood down.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #282
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
I've had a E90 320i SE for two weeks and now I have a E93 325i MSport for the past two weeks. There is no sign of my car coming back soon. It went in on the 28th and so far it is getting a new cylinder head & pistons.

I have no reason to complain other than the E93 vert has a smaller boot - but with some juggling of my kit I can get the hood down.
How is the performance difference with the 325? Good? Spectacular? Just ok?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #283
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
How is the performance difference with the 325? Good? Spectacular? Just ok?
The autobox drags it a bit. It has the paddles which are a bit of fun.
But the acceleration is only a bit better than mine. The sound of the V6 is great though. It sound like a diesel at tick over just like the 2.0.

If I had to choose a 320 or 325 i'd choose a 325 though! Too many engine probs for 2.0 engine plus the 325 is actually a 3.0 just retuned.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #284
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I've just read this whole thread as I picked up a brand-new 320i M-Sport Coupe a couple of weeks ago, having owned many BMWs previously. On the 19" M-Sport wheels it looks great, although a bit firm on the iffy roads around Coventry. The bluetooth integration is very good too.

Anyway, my car has a build-date of March 08 and I think I might have this problem too. I had put it down to the car being new (about 500 miles now) and 'getting used to it'.

The things I've noticed are:

1) Occasional dipping of the revs whilst stationary. I put this down to the ED auto-restart deciding to stop the engine and then thinking better of it.

2) I haven't really revved the engine yet or used full throttle, but there is a hesitency on a light throttle, especially if you're in the gear suggested by the OBC.

It's not too bad - I didn't think I had a problem until I read this thread, but perhaps I have.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #285
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

So that suggests even the new build have same issues.....

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #286
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Well I just spoke with the engineer who has been driving my car since Thursday, trying to get it to exhibit 'limp mode', and he said the car performed perfectly, there were no inconsistencies of power delivery, and it certainly didn't cut out.

Not a big surprise, since the problem is so intermittent, and I have certainly taken the car out a number of times, being on the lookout for limp mode, and it hasn't happened. It's just when you least expect it.....

Anyway I told them ok, I will take the car back and hope that it's fine from here on in, but if it cuts out or limps once more I will seek to reject the car.

Either way, nobody is going to feel 100% confident or happy driving a car which - whether the BMW engineers can get it to happen or not - occassionally suffers such a serious problem. So I'll basically always be subconsciously worrying about it, and gearing up to buy something else in the not too distant future.
Appreciate 0