E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Review of the PROcede Rev3

03-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefreefive View Post
This was going to be my next question - is there an idiots guide to changing these settings? My car is completely stock. I have no tuning knowledge - having said that i am reasonably clever and pick things up quickly. Unfortunately i haven;t been able to find any guides online on how to modify these settings and the specifics - i get broad brush thoughts - higher boost, max 20 psi etc... but then i read that the std turbochargers are too small and at 20psi they are off efficiency or something like that...

If anyone has a link to any guides that are in depth would be much apprteciated.

also, re data logging - how do i do it? do i have to have the laptop connected whilst i do the runs or do i connect it after and download the info? dumb question but can't find that answer anywhere...
For an otherwise stock vehicle you just run the appropriate stage which would be Stage 1 Map 1. You dont need to touch the settings unless you run methanol injection.

Datalog while connected.
Hmmm

This is where the confusion first started when I didn't have it switched on . You mention map 1 stage 1 but I thought on the 11-25 maps for a stock car you load map 0 stage 1 or 2....

Adrian - can you chime in?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

So is this what I would purchase for my 335i MY09?

http://www.topgearsolutions.com/viprreprn54v.html
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
Did you follow the video?
Yeah i did is very very easy

Quote:
Hmmm

This is where the confusion first started when I didn't have it switched on . You mention map 1 stage 1 but I thought on the 11-25 maps for a stock car you load map 0 stage 1 or 2....

Adrian - can you chime in?
With the new maps you load either stage 0, 1, 2, 3 (depending on what mods/fuel you have).

With each stage there are map 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

As Jeff said just use map 1 as from memory map 2 is almost identical to map 1 but is the map used for the fall back with map (or something like that, hopefully adrian can chime in ).

Last edited by RaihaX; 03-14-2012 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So is this what I would purchase for my 335i MY09?

http://www.topgearsolutions.com/viprreprn54v.html
thats the one
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
It's faster since then
You're evil bro. You had to go timyoyo and wot it until 4th.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
holo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport coupe DCT

hmm, I thought my 2011 335i was nice as is, you lot are making me itchy with this sort of talk
Sounds like it is a lot of fun !

I like the fact it can be returned to stock for services etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #29
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
hmm, I thought my 2011 335i was nice as is, you lot are making me itchy with this sort of talk
Sounds like it is a lot of fun !

I like the fact it can be returned to stock for services etc.
do it install are slightly harder on the N55 though!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #30
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ok so basically to datalog I hook up the laptop, set it to log and then floor it until I can get to redline in 3rd or 4th?

How many time do I do this? I assume outside temp is a factor? If so, what's the hottest it can be outside for the numbers to mean something? I'm going to give it a go and post the pics up.

Any more info or places people can point me to?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #31
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Hi guys

Along with my review of the 335i Coupe which you can see here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660378

I deciede to do a quick review of the PROcede Rev3 from Vishnu Tuning.

I got it from Adrian Vos rather than from Vishnu Directly - Vishnu is a bit cheaper but i prefered to deal with someone local that understood our cars / fuel / conditions etc rather than someone in the USA. Also, i didn't want to wait a few weeks to get it - Adrian posted it to me within a day.

Overall i'm very happy with his service and he answered all my questions quickly and patiently - but more on that later.

So how easy is it to install a PROcede? As easy as a phone call to Stu @ BMR!

Stu installed my PROcede in about 20 mins on Flinders lane at 2am - if that isn't service i don't know what is.

I also met Suj and Alan who had a wealth of car knowledge - i really liked the BMR guys and will definitely do business with them again.

So how does it drive?

First impressions - rubbish.

Stu installed it, i let the car warm up and took it for a spin.

Nothing.

Felt like stock.

I was quite disappointed as it's always difficult to tell. It didn't feel any different but maybe i'm just not able to sense it...maybe it's faster but i don't know the car well enough (i had only bought it 2 weeks ago).

So i e-mailed Stu and Adrian. This is where the local knowedge and contacts pay for themselves....

After several dumb questions by me and a bit of problem solving, it turns out i didn't have the darn thing turned on!

Adrian preloaded the v11-25 maps for me - these are in beta so no autotuning available. Also, it's not like other maps - there are now stages and maps. I had stage 0 installed as my car is completely stock - each stage has different maps - if i'm worng someone please correct me.

For stage 0, you have the option of:

map 0: procede is off - car runs like stock and is what you'd have if you were taking it in for service

map 1: moderatly aggressive map

map 2: very agressive map

map 3: NA map - shuts down the turbos so the car runs like an NA car

so what happened after i made the minor adjustment?

map 0: same as before - der

map 1: wow! this thing flew. I was in another world of awesome. It pulls so hard and midrange is awesome.

map 2: what traction? double wow. absolutely gob smacked by the torque and the speed this thing gathers.

map 3: works but nothing to write home about - wouldn't use it more than as a party trick

2 things -

1. i don't think i'd be able to enjoy the car stock now knowing what i'd be missing so if you do own a x35i and don;t want a tune or cant because of warranty or whatever do yourself a favour and dont ride in a car with one. you will hate your car afterward - trust me.

2. If you want traction press the DTC button - so it shows DTC on the cluster. This is essential on map 2 - without it the car just bogs and cuts power in more or less any gear at full throttle. obviously there is an element of danger here but i won't discuss that - do what you will. I'm not in the mood to nanny anyone on a forum.

So overall what do i think?

Who cares....

But seriously... WOW! My car was great before, it really is just awesome now. To spend $1,100 and get c30% more power is just unparalelled.

It feels strong / meaty in the mid revs and just feels great to drive. Traction can be an issue but with the DTC in it still allows the power but doesn;t cut it out.

All in all i'm a VERY happy customer and would definitely recommend Adrian and the team at BMR.

Sorry for my lack of understanding, but are you saying you need to have the car's traction control off when running map 1 or map2? How does the traction control button work in conjunction with the Procede?
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #32
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok so basically to datalog I hook up the laptop, set it to log and then floor it until I can get to redline in 3rd or 4th?

How many time do I do this? I assume outside temp is a factor? If so, what's the hottest it can be outside for the numbers to mean something? I'm going to give it a go and post the pics up.

Any more info or places people can point me to?
I usually turn on my log while i am doing about 60km/h on 3rd gear. then floor it all the way to fourth

I do about 2-3 runs, I do it on any temperature, I like doing it on a hot day anyway just to see how my car runs.

Do the log and post here or send it to Adrian and he will let you know if your car is running ok or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham999au View Post
Sorry for my lack of understanding, but are you saying you need to have the car's traction control off when running map 1 or map2? How does the traction control button work in conjunction with the Procede?
What he meant is that with traction control fully on, all the car does is cut off power as you have too much power and not enough traction
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #33
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Agreed, traction control and Procede is a no-no...

TIMYOYO ftw*

*at your own risk
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #34
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Agreed, traction control and Procede is a no-no...

TIMYOYO ftw*

*at your own risk
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #35
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ok it's settled. I'll do some runs tonight and post back. If anyone can recommend a place in Melbourne south east would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #36
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok it's settled. I'll do some runs tonight and post back. If anyone can recommend a place in Melbourne south east would be much appreciated.
Try the following roads:

McMahons Rd, Riverend rd and Pillars Rd in Bangholme. All fairly quiet.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #37
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

ok so i'd done a few runs and logged them. These were not done properly as per the above advice as it was just too wet tonight. However, i did try a few different scenarios so would be keen to see if anyone can glean anything from the info and provide some insight - just want to learn really.

I have no idea how to get anything useful from the info in the maps - it's not very clear what means what and how to post them up in image form from the procede software. If anyone would be kind enough to PM me their e-mail address i will send you the CSV files and if you could have a look that would be most appreciated. Below i've noted what each file covers and what i did on each run.

If the below is really silly or n00b etc please feel free to enjoy a chuckle at my expense - just wanted to try a few things

Basically what i did was:

All these were done with the DTC button pressed on the dashboard and unless otherwise stated were WOT but without kickdown

data file 3 - 3rd gear 60 - 100kms - map 0 (proceed off)
data file 4 - 3rd gear 60 - 100kms - map 1
data file 7 - 3rd gear 60 - 100kms - map 2

data file - 8 - 4th gear 60 - 100kms - map 0 (proceed off)
data file - 10 - 4th gear 60 - 100kms - map 1
data file - 11 - 4th gear 60 - 100kms - map 2

data file - 13 - Full throttle inc kickdown to 100 - map 1 (starts around 20kms in 2nd)

data file - 15 - Full throttle to begin with (got some wheelsipn) then WOT without kickdown 80-100kms in 6th gear, 5th gear, 4th gear, 3rd gear - in that order
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #38
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog
Quote:
Try the following roads:

McMahons Rd, Riverend rd and Pillars Rd in Bangholme. All fairly quiet.
Thanks for the tips mate. I went tonight but to be honest I pulled out as the road especially on mcmahons rd ha lots of potholes and whilst little traffic it where cops may wait as I doubt anyone drives to the limit there.

I might find a friendly onramp which may give me a bit of a runnup so I can only be over for a couple of secs.

I got to 120 in 3rd and was still 3000rpm from redline so just couldn't risk 160kms or so - my license is too valuable!

Will post back when I grow some balls or find an appropriate place o do it :
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Track?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #40
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

I wouldn't discuss what speeds I reached on the road in detail on a publicly viewable forum. May bite you in the ass.

I always drive below the speed limit. Always.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #41
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post

As Jeff said just use map 1 as from memory map 2 is almost identical to map 1 but is the map used for the fall back with map (or something like that, hopefully adrian can chime in ).
You can make map 1 and map 2 into anything you want. On my PROcede, Map 1 is my wet weather map while Map 2 is the real deal.

It's essentially 2 settings you can toggle between. Without changes, IIRC, Map 1 has a 13.5psi autotune target while Map 2 has 14.5psi.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can make map 1 and map 2 into anything you want. On my PROcede, Map 1 is my wet weather map while Map 2 is the real deal.

It's essentially 2 settings you can toggle between. Without changes, IIRC, Map 1 has a 13.5psi autotune target while Map 2 has 14.5psi.
Yeah I know - by default the new aggressive firmware they are almost identical.

From memory there are some differences on map 2 which has something to do with meth or something.

ps. when I said Jeff I was referring to Jeff@TopGearsSolution
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #43
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

NOOB question - I presume you can change while you are driving, ie one map to the other?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #44
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
NOOB question - I presume you can change while you are driving, ie one map to the other?
Yeah double tap the DCT button.
Appreciate 0