E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost gauge placement

01-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I'd love a boost read out, but only if it was part of the stock computer display on the cluster. That and water temp could have been added with a few lines of code if BMW desired. I'm sure that the lack of turbo guage, analog or digital, was part of their desire to distance the design from traditional turbos, just like not adding any model designation like "tt' and going so far with the design in terms of avoiding lag at cost of maximum boost and all but quashing turbo whine. I think they really wanted us to forget that the turbos were there, and for all but the enthusiast crowd, I'm betting that they succeded. I was actually a bit disappointed by the lack of 'turboishness' when I first drove it.. My friend and I rollde down the windows and silenced the interior noise just to catch a whisper of the snails, and it was just that. From what I've read about the boost, it would make for a pretty boring guage at this point, but it would at least be as entertaining as the classic MPG-meter and I'd probably choose it as the digital output if it were part of the cluster selection.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

True a small boost leak can affect performance rob you of horsepower. But in reallity, even a boost gauge will not let you know if you have a boost leak. Our car only run 8-9 psi of boost which is whimsical. Until you running 20+ psi should you start to worry about boost leak and heavy duty hose clamp.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #25
BayernMuenchen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

So if you are worried about leaks, wouldnt you require two seperate gauges, one per turbo?
      01-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #26
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
why cant anyone just put positive comments on the original statement!!!
BOOST GAUGE PLACEMENT!!! what boost gauge are u using and and where did u put it???
NOTHING ELSE>>
      01-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #27
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernMuenchen
So if you are worried about leaks, wouldnt you require two seperate gauges, one per turbo?
No, a boost gauge works off of intake manifold pressure, where you "T" off of one of the vac lines. Since both of your turbo's are feeding into the same charge pipes that go to your intercooler, there is no need for two boost gauges. You are only interested in how much boost the engine is being fed.

BTW, I love the comments about boost gauges being rice , but those kind of people must have never turned a wrench in their lives so knowing how much boost their car was making wouldn't mean anything to them anyway since they probably have no idea how a turbo setup works in the first place.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #28
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW
No, a boost gauge works off of intake manifold pressure, where you "T" off of one of the vac lines. Since both of your turbo's are feeding into the same charge pipes that go to your intercooler, there is no need for two boost gauges. You are only interested in how much boost the engine is being fed.

BTW, I love the comments about boost gauges being rice , but those kind of people must have never turned a wrench in their lives so knowing how much boost their car was making wouldn't mean anything to them anyway since they probably have no idea how a turbo setup works in the first place.
+1 on everything you said, BoostedBMW. As good as BMW is, they can not defy the laws of physics. Heat expands metal, which is the material the clamps are made of...
I think a lot of these guys own the 335i as their first turbo'd car. You'd be suprised at what an unsecured clamp can do to the car. I once had a BOV popped out of the socket on the highway, at that point, I couldn't even gas up, had to cruise to the shoulder and put it back in and secure it tightly again with a rachet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashero
True a small boost leak can affect performance rob you of horsepower. But in reallity, even a boost gauge will not let you know if you have a boost leak. Our car only run 8-9 psi of boost which is whimsical. Until you running 20+ psi should you start to worry about boost leak and heavy duty hose clamp.
It doesn't matter how much boost are you running, that depends on your compression ratio. How can a boost gauge not tell you when you have a boost leak? My current car is running 24psi and I was able to tell the difference when it had a small boost leak at the intercooler piping, the car doesnt feel as fast as it did. And with a quality gauge, like Defi's, you are able to record the movement so you can floor the car, record boost behavior, and replay it back when you're parked.

The ideal way to tell if you have a boost leak is to perform a boost leak test.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #29
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW
A little harsh but anyone who calls a boost gauge "rice" probably deserves it.

The first rule of turbo cars, whether you plan to mod or not, is "Always know thy boost". A boost gauge should be the first mod and I'm a little surprised that Shiv hasn't brought this subject up...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #30
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Wow finally some posititve comments!!! thanks
so whats the "DEFI" can someone throw a link
WJ4 and boosted you guys are full of great info THANKS
      01-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #31
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Wow finally some posititve comments!!! thanks
WJ4 and boosted you guys are full of great info THANKS
Defi is a brand, distributed by TEIN (the japanese suspension company), that makes gauges. For the price they are very accurate, and they have a whole range of gauges for just about any budget. They range from mechanical (not sure if this is the correct term for a boost gauge) where you simply "T" off a vac line and run it into the cabin of your car to the back of the gauge, to electrical where you hook up a vac line to a pressure sensor under the hood and simply run back a few wires to the gauge inside the car. The more expensive electrical gauges (~$200-250 each) can also be used with a control unit that can record, store, and playback data, while the cheaper (~$95) gauges do not have fancy functions like this but they are just as accurate. I have a Defi D series boost gauge, which I think they have stopped making, but you can still find them, and its very accurate. Its also good to get a gauge that can measure vac pressure, and not just boost like some of the crappy autometer gauges out there. Also, here is an excellent vendor to purchase gauges from, I know him from S2ki and he is a great guy. http://automotivespeed.com/index.php?cPath=22_47

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Boosted beat me to it again, Tein is the mother company of Defi, like stated.

I would highly recommend the Defi BF gauges...a little pricey, but if totally worth it.

I had another set of cheaper gauges before, and they suck frankly. They were a pain to wire up, because you have to manually do everything, while the Defi's are basically plug and play, on the back has connections like USB cables, but a lot smaller.

Defi offers a wide range of gauges...but the BF is their best imo. Here are some pix of the gauges in my Evo. I chose the amber ones, and they black out when the car is off.

The gauges are linked to the control unit, which is this...

It allows you to see how much you peak, record, and set warning

This was captured when I hit the peak button..it shows the maximum amount I'm boosting...

I bought all of my parts from a local vendor in SoCal that doesn't charge tax or shipping if you pick up. I don't want to advertise on here since he is not a vendor so if anyone is interested, PM me I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #33
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

Here how i instaled my guage temporarlly.
Autometer sport comp 2, in a carbon pod.

I Didn't know where to put it without drilling holes. Witch I don't want to do.
So i have it holding very well between the sterring colum and the gauge cluster.

I got my signal from a tee i did at the diverter valves.And routed the line thru the rubber gromet next to the clutch. The lne route clean into the master cylinder box.
See pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #34
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
DAMB your AWESOM WJ4...

Ok im looking at the DEFI BF meter the boost gauge is 230$ alone plus the 110$ unit!! damb thats more like 350 not 250 but either way I can see its top notch. I think ill be getting em soon..
thanks

also im honestly thinking whats the best location for 3 guages!!! what do u think wj4? I may just mount em on the pillar i could care less what peeps say!
      01-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #35
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Quote:
DAMB your AWESOM WJ4...

Ok im looking at the DEFI BF meter the boost gauge is 230$ alone plus the 110$ unit!! damb thats more like 350 not 250 but either way I can see its top notch. I think ill be getting em soon..
thanks

also im honestly thinking whats the best location for 3 guages!!! what do u think wj4? I may just mount em on the pillar i could care less what peeps say!
I would like to get it as well
but wondering where to put them to make it looks good *since i am getting the navi*
and i dun wanna make it too japan style@_@
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #36
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Edman-just a quick question bro. Where did you tap into to get the gauges to light up? I assume they only light up at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #37
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

wj4, I too are running 24psi on my car. Believe me, Eventhough the gauge said 24 I still have a boost leak. AMS could not figure out the power loss and when they did Did a boost leak and it show a small leak around certain connection.
PS my track car is an evo also. Ever read some of smokemustang post? He had the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #38
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashero
wj4, I too are running 24psi on my car. Believe me, Eventhough the gauge said 24 I still have a boost leak. AMS could not figure out the power loss and when they did Did a boost leak and it show a small leak around certain connection.
PS my track car is an evo also. Ever read some of smokemustang post? He had the same issues.
Smokemustang was the reason why I got the same coilover he did
Are you still on the oem turbo? I know a few folks that had the unfortunate luck of a turbo leak But they were on bigger GT series models.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #39
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

I ended up taping the power off the LED in the ashtray.
It was the easyest that i could find,and that lights up with the dashlight at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #40
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523
I would like to get it as well
but wondering where to put them to make it looks good *since i am getting the navi*
and i dun wanna make it too japan style@_@
either way im going to order the DEFI..Ill get creative once it gets here and find a good spot for it! we need a fabricator to make us a nice custom fit for one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman951
I ended up taping the power off the LED in the ashtray.
It was the easyest that i could find,and that lights up with the dashlight at night.
i think u need to look at some of the hardwire for V1 and theres a better power source! im not sure ill look
      01-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #41
FarriSti
Registered
Rep
Drives: 540i6

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...78ecf150cb.htm
defis in an m3 at the beggining
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #42
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarriSti
ya VERY nice find!!! shit i may go that route
      01-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #43
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Quote:
either way im going to order the DEFI..Ill get creative once it gets here and find a good spot for it! we need a fabricator to make us a nice custom fit for one!

i think u need to look at some of the hardwire for V1 and theres a better power source! im not sure ill look
excited that u will get this done!!!
once you get the gauge and install it
if it looks nice i will get it right away
please keep us update!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #44
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

The Defi's in the M3 video looks awesome! I forgot to say that they have a special dancing sequence upon turning on and off. It is easy to hook it up like how the M3 has it as the Defi comes with a cup you can use for the gauges. All you need after that is to go buy suction circles and stick them on.
Appreciate 0