E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Power steering pump whining

12-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
calswan7145
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, 2009 328xi

Garage List
Power steering pump whining

Ever since ive had my car the ps pump has whined. Recently I was parallel parking and it seemed like the pump just failed while i was reversing into the spot. But as soon as i start the car its fine again. Like i said the pump has always whined at low rpm. Fluid is topped off and It doesnt look like its leaking. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswan7145 View Post
Ever since ive had my car the ps pump has whined. Recently I was parallel parking and it seemed like the pump just failed while i was reversing into the spot. But as soon as i start the car its fine again. Like i said the pump has always whined at low rpm. Fluid is topped off and It doesnt look like its leaking. Any ideas?
How old is the fluid ?

Might need to vac & replace the fluid a couple times ? This should be done every 50k.

If fluid is good, might be a sign your power steering pump is going.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswan7145 View Post
Ever since ive had my car the ps pump has whined. Recently I was parallel parking and it seemed like the pump just failed while i was reversing into the spot. But as soon as i start the car its fine again. Like i said the pump has always whined at low rpm. Fluid is topped off and It doesn't look like its leaking. Any ideas?
I agree how many miles on the car and when was the last time the PS was changed. There are several methods to swapping out the old. The easiest but most expensive is to suck and replace several times. Takes about 3 quarts this way. Also if you have a lot of miles on your car and dont know if it's been done you might want to swap out the reservoir it contains a new filter. If the fluid is very old it could clog up the filter and prevent proper flow which would cause issues. This is the route I'm taking. Mine doesnt whine but judders when you turn it left or right. I'm hoping I dont have a PS pump or PS Rack issue.
Appreciate 0