E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Renewing Roof Strings on convertible to avoid damage

04-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

Renewing Roof Strings on convertible to avoid damage

Hi All. I used the video at the end of this post to see how to change the chords on the roof. These were starting to fray and there were various posts saying that this was a sign they would soon snap and that interior damage was the likely result. So I order the parts from BMW online. Part no is 54377277475. I would have sourced locally but this was under Covid 19 lock down so local dealer was shut. The part was £15 which was maybe more than local price but not expensive considering what damage can be done if they snap whilst in operation. By the way, you only need to order x1 of that part number and you will get x2 string/cords. The job was relatively easy thanks to the video. All was straight forward. The most difficultly I had was with the rubber that covers the spring on one side, it took ages to roll it down sufficiently. But that apart it was easy and I am posting to let others know that this preventative piece of maintenance is really worth considering doing.

04-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
eugenecp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Convertible

Garage List
Did this a few months ago, my string already snapped and did not realize it. If your string is the old style, better replace it sooner especially if you see fraying.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #3
guig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Lost bracket

Hi. This video was very helpful and the first cord took no more than 5 mins to replace. I was just about done with the second when I dropped the little bracket into the pits of the trunk, never to be found again. It was the lower one that is at a right angle.

Does anyone know what that part number is?

Thanks!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:19 PM   #4
eaglephin
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Thanks. Helpful post and video. The string on my passenger side just snapped. I ordered the part and will be referring back to this post/video to do the install.
Appreciate 0