E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing Order for Scratches

08-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
LORDD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d M Sport

Detailing Order for Scratches

Hi ,
I want to detail my car it will be first time I have done this since I got my new to me car it's a Lemans blue bmw E91 . The paint is in ok condition I will be getting some bits repainted next year bumper, roof spoiler and door . But I have noticed there are various things in the paint so I want to detail the car but unsure on a couple of things the order to do it in .
So wash first then clay bar . Next will it be colour polish/scratch remover . On all panels or just on scratches ? Then go over with a normal polish after ? Then seal it with wax ?
What is the difference between these two ? Just the size ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203178087...AAAOSw7b9frRZ3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224380822...#38;media=COPY
I was thinking of bmw shampoo as have lots.
My clay bar and quick wax I have . One of the above colour polishes/scratch removers . Then autoglym resin polish and finished off by autoglym extra gloss protection to seal it in . Is this right ?
      08-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I've been learning more about detailing and understand that you'd do the following. First, wash your car, dry it, clay bar, compound, polish and seal it with wax. I've been dealing with heavy scratches and swirl marks on my black E92 and if I cannot eliminate them, I will have to resort to repainting the hood and roof.
      09-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #3
MidWillamette335d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I've been learning more about detailing and understand that you'd do the following. First, wash your car, dry it, clay bar, compound, polish and seal it with wax. I've been dealing with heavy scratches and swirl marks on my black E92 and if I cannot eliminate them, I will have to resort to repainting the hood and roof.
Yep, that's the process I've always done minus the clay bar. Meguiar's products have always been good to me, lots of options for cutting/polishing/waxing and readily available. Check out Ammo NYC on youtube for some knowledgeable vids on the subject, he puts out great stuff
      01-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
Alekss
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

I suggest you watch a lot of YT videos and educate yourself. Check out AMMO ANY channel on YT, but look at his early videos from a few years ago. They are very informative.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWillamette335d View Post
Yep, that's the process I've always done minus the clay bar. Meguiar's products have always been good to me, lots of options for cutting/polishing/waxing and readily available. Check out Ammo NYC on youtube for some knowledgeable vids on the subject, he puts out great stuff
I'm a fan of Larry's channel and like that he's buying cars and saving them. You do realize that clay bar picks up contaminates that might otherwise create more swirl marks, right? If you're going to invest all that time in trying to save the paint, what's one more step in achieving the best results?
      02-08-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91,E36

Certified ceramic pro and ppf installer here. If you want to know exactly what products I use and in what orders based on levels of damage feel free to ask.