E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > certified Ceramic Pro and PPF Installer. let me help you maintain on your own!

02-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91,E36

certified Ceramic Pro and PPF Installer. let me help you maintain on your own!

Too many times I see BMW’s driving out looking haggard!!! Let’s talk detail and maintenance! Let me help you stay beautiful on your own! I know many who let it go due to cost so if we can keep it pocket friendly why not.

Page is here to post all questions and I will share my tricks and suggestions.
335i54n293.50
      02-09-2023, 01:30 AM   #2
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
OK, I'll start.

Detail: This winter I put over 5K mi on my E70 in wintery weather, another 3-5K expected

After recent car wash I noticed some "un-washable" residue/film on the clear coat and windshield (outside of wiper coverage area).

Questions:
1) what it best way to remove whatever it is (salt, dirt, whatever Caltrans used to thaw snow/ice)?
2) Any advice on ceramic coating as "paint protection" for winter months going forward?
      02-09-2023, 01:47 AM   #3
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
OK, I'll start.

Detail: This winter I put over 5K mi on my E70 in wintery weather, another 3-5K expected

After recent car wash I noticed some "un-washable" residue/film on the clear coat and windshield (outside of wiper coverage area).

Questions:
1) what it best way to remove whatever it is (salt, dirt, whatever Caltrans used to thaw snow/ice)?
2) Any advice on ceramic coating as "paint protection" for winter months going forward?
1)light acids. White vinegar on a microfiber towel and lightly buff in circular motions. If you decide that you want to do some form of coating, I would skip the vinegar and jump straight into a stage 1 correction (medium cut/polish compound "griots fast correct" is my favorite)

2)I highly recommend coating for winter protection, just remember it isn't bulletproof, but for many like us who put just that effort into car care it makes a world of difference. Remember if you get minor scratches it's affecting the coating first not factory paint. Each product out there does virtually the same main difference is curing hardness which equates to longevity of the coating. To get a feel for coating get yourself a spray bottle of Nexgen Ceramic. Personally I install CeramicPro but only shops can order product and it's applied with small applicator.
      02-19-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
casdm9901
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi Touring

Garage List
Couple questions:
  1. I have a black 06 E91. As you can imagine the paint has lots of miles on it but honestly I don’t think it looks too bad for the most part. The worst is what looks like some clear coat issues on the hood. I’d like to refinish the cars paint instead of repainting but that’s outside my skill set. Any thoughts on the best approach?
  2. What’s the best way to clean dust/pollen etc off the paint without having to wash it constantly but not damage the finish? The car rarely sees rain but it’s kept in a partially open air garage. I may just need to cover it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

1. As far as the chips go, if all you see is paint and no primer I would mask off the area 1 inch larger circumference around the affected spot then start with 80 grit till the bevels are knocked down then move to 1000 until the major scratches are knocked down, finish with 1500 or 2000 just to get a smooth feel. (All with water) don’t be afraid of this part. Once you have it wet sanded start your cutting process with a Meguiars 105 cut compound on a blue pad and hit the entire car. Finish with Meguiars 205 and a black pad speed setting around 4. You will have a mirror black once again.

2. My car is black and we can’t take any short cuts like others as far as dusting and pollen, if we wipe we scratch. I would suggest a nice liquid spray on style ceramic as it with help with keep the dust/pollen from even sticking, and if it does then a nice hit from a leave blower or air compressor will shoot it right off then proceed to light wipe in one direction only with an ultra plush towel.
      11-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #6
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Do you have any recommendation for easy to use kit for chip repair? I have chips on my Monaco Blue E91, some are starting to show little rusting that I know I'd need to sand out.

And could I attempt paint correction after filling in the chips?

And finally, I would like to apply ceramic coating - any recommendation for a DIY garage application?

I have newly painted front and rear bumpers that I am thinking of ceramic coating know to protect that new finish (paint is over 2 months old by now) and then work on the rest of the car later.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #7
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Do you have any recommendation for easy to use kit for chip repair? I have chips on my Monaco Blue E91, some are starting to show little rusting that I know I'd need to sand out.

And could I attempt paint correction after filling in the chips?

And finally, I would like to apply ceramic coating - any recommendation for a DIY garage application?

I have newly painted front and rear bumpers that I am thinking of ceramic coating know to protect that new finish (paint is over 2 months old by now) and then work on the rest of the car later.

Thank you!
Good morning,
There really isn't anything designed as a kit for repairs such as a chip. I would go ahead and pick up a Paint match bottle at your local dealer if your paint code and thar should knock out the primer, paint and clear portion of the to do list. Go ahead and start your light sanding if that's necessary (if you literally mean chips like the image from the poster above us), then I would try picking at the rust with a needle or pick tool to avoid sanding. Proceed with the primer then paint and clear from your dealer paint kit.

I would wait at least a week to attempt correction as to ensure paint stays put.

The Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat is a pretty good diy coating if you aren't familiar with using professional grade products.

If you do plan on doing the entire car at some point soon I would hold off on just coating the front and rear and do it all at once. As you will need to correct the front and rear if you haven't done so after the repaint.
      11-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91_AKD View Post
Good morning,
There really isn't anything designed as a kit for repairs such as a chip. I would go ahead and pick up a Paint match bottle at your local dealer if your paint code and thar should knock out the primer, paint and clear portion of the to do list. Go ahead and start your light sanding if that's necessary (if you literally mean chips like the image from the poster above us), then I would try picking at the rust with a needle or pick tool to avoid sanding. Proceed with the primer then paint and clear from your dealer paint kit.

I would wait at least a week to attempt correction as to ensure paint stays put.

The Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat is a pretty good diy coating if you aren't familiar with using professional grade products.

If you do plan on doing the entire car at some point soon I would hold off on just coating the front and rear and do it all at once. As you will need to correct the front and rear if you haven't done so after the repaint.
Thank you so much for the quick guidance!
Here are pics of the typical chips I have in a few places.

Forgive the dirty car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
E91_AKD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Thank you so much for the quick guidance!
Here are pics of the typical chips I have in a few places.

Forgive the dirty car.
Start with a white vinegar soak on those to bring up the rust and see how much that takes off. If necessary you can go ahead and add a bit of engine degreaser to really get the rest out. Then clean it out with highest ISO alcohol you can get. Then go ahead and start your paint fill process. Once you get it nice and filled go ahead and wet sand the high spots with 1500 grit sand paper finish with 3000 then start your cut and polish on the car. (Note you will not start sanding the high spots down until after the drying wait week).