E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > What does this Error Symbol Mean ?

02-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
zkhi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i Sedan

Been having this problem on and off for the last couple of months, for couple of times the heat fan would not come on. Talked to the service manager at Open Road BMW, he said it sounds like the battery. From some comments here it could also be the alternator.

I am scheduling time to drop of the car to get it checked out (second time). My problem is that I live in the west end of Toronto and the its about 45 min drive to the BMW dealership.

I have also read that I should stay away from BMW of Miss and BUDDS BMW for service. The service manager at Open Road sounds pretty accomodating, should I just take it to Open Road or find a dealership closer to home.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
zkhi
Private
Canada
Rep

Had this issue come up again, talked to the service manager, he wants to keep the car while they check it. On the coldest day this year, there was no heat fan. Manager said it looks like the battery as it is shutting down services because it is low in charge.

Now that I have an appointment to take the car in tomorrow, the error message is gone. WTF.

Not sure if I should still go in.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
f0rd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkhi View Post
Been having this problem on and off for the last couple of months, for couple of times the heat fan would not come on.
Having the same problem with my E90 when the temps get below -20C. Stopped by the dealer and they said this is a common issue caused by a low battery condition. It is more pronounced if you typically drive very short trips (like I do). As the voltage gets lower the computer starts to cut services to conserve power -- heater fan, stereo, etc. It's pretty annoying to have no heat when it's that cold out!!

My SA said that the best fix is to install a small battery charger that you plug in just like a block heater. Apparently this is a standard dealer add-on for all cars sold by Birchwood BMW in Winnipeg.

I haven't done anything with it yet. As soon as the weather warms up (or I go for a nice long drive) the light goes away and the heater starts working again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #26
zkhi
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you, this is helpfull. The dealer also suggested that I purchase a battery charger for $71.00. Not a bad price considering, this would help solve my issue when it gets colder. I hope they had given me this information the last time I was here. Would have saved me a trip.

Thanks again for the informtion.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0