E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Metallic Noise Coming From Transmission Area

08-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #23
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Have you tried running the car up to certain speeds? Mine does it at 35ish and more. And is especially audible when it's cold.

Not sure what to do yet. The tranny works fine, no issues other than the noise. May leave it till later...

No, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a shot and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #24
jmkranz
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Did you ever get this fixed? Did it turn out to need a whole new trans? I have same noise :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:40 AM   #25
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkranz View Post
Did you ever get this fixed? Did it turn out to need a whole new trans? I have same noise :-(
didn't get it fixed and it's still making the same noise, maybe a bit more audible all these years after. transmission shifting just as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 07:54 PM   #26
mym3isslow
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Thank you for your input. I have limited technical knowledge so I am trying to learn as much as possible while waiting for the service to have time so that I can come over with the car which should happen next week or the week after.

To further elaborate on the issues I am having:

Yesterday, I put it on the lift again and while I couldn't see much because of the heat shield and undertray, I did try turning the drive shaft and there is some play. I've got it on video just in case. Again, I don't know what is normal behavior.

Then I went for a short drive while the car was still cold and I paid extra special attention and even turned off the vent, etc. Here are my observations:

The noise described earlier begins to be really noticeable inside the cabin from around 30 mph and now I can surely say that it is speed-dependent because it makes the noise in 3rd, 4th and 5th (I usually use 4th and 5th at these speeds). Probably in a lower gear, too, but then all I can hear is just the engine.

I can feel slight vibrations through the shifter knob AND the vibrations are in sync with the rattling if you know what I mean.

And, lastly, there's some rattling & vibrations going on even if I push the clutch in while driving. Less noticeable, but still they are there.

There was no noise to be heard when revving the engine, even when I was under the car listening to it.

I am not sure if you or Jdub679 know about the recall on CV Joints for 2011-2012 1 and 3 Series. Mine was built in 2012 so apparently not included in the recall. A guy had it done and they actually replaced the flex disk. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V067-8683.PDF

As I said, I have contacted an indy shop that's performed a DMFW and timing chain replacement in the past on our other BMW and I am waiting for them to have free time. Maybe I'll try the BMW dealer, too, afterward but I kinda don't want to go there for the seventh time this year, lol. The car is out of warranty, does not get regularly serviced at their place and they have rejected my request for a goodwill repair in the past...
I also have this noise around 30-40 mph. I only notice it when the radio and climate control are off. There is no noise when standing still at idle.
Appreciate 0