E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > UPDATED - Engine Swap - 335D Crankshaft Main Bearings and Bolts Question

01-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #133
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Damn this is even more weird. A few 2011 N55s seems to be having rod bearing issues aswell. There are some posts on it.

Nothing is confirmed but from looking at it it's weird and points to 2011 bearings issues. I hope 2011 N54s are not affected although they probably are...

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 01-29-2019 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #134
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Damn this is even more weird. A few 2011 N55s seems to be having rod bearing issues aswell. There are some posts on it.

Nothing is confirmed but from looking at it it's weird and points to 2011 bearings issues. I hope 2011 N54s are not affected although they probably are...
Hmmm, thats an interesting observation. I wonder if there are any similarities between the two engines/crankshafts/bearings/etc and/or the types of failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #135
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Hmmm, thats an interesting observation. I wonder if there are any similarities between the two engines/crankshafts/bearings/etc and/or the types of failure.
Yeah nothing is confirmed and I don't want to spread rumors or anything just found it odd this thread of 335d rod bearing failures it's basically all 2011 model years.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #136
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

The so-called "bearing issue" is likely nothing to do with the bearings themselves. Regen-induced fuel dilution in the oil kills the bearings. If your're running stock at 10k OCIs with added fuel like a JB or something, the engine simply will not last.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      01-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #137
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
The so-called "bearing issue" is likely nothing to do with the bearings themselves. Regen-induced fuel dilution in the oil kills the bearings. If your're running stock at 10k OCIs with added fuel like a JB or something, the engine simply will not last.
I encountered my bearing issue's before I did any modifications with 7k OCI and still had the issue. Oil analysis report didnt show any abnormal levels of fuel in the oil either.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #138
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
I dont' think running stock has anything to do with it. Tuned and deleted motors have also had same issue. Now an injector out of spec that may be over fueling...that I can get behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #139
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
I dont' think running stock has anything to do with it. Tuned and deleted motors have also had same issue. Now an injector out of spec that may be over fueling...that I can get behind.
Not saying that tuned and deleted motors don't have issues, just providing a counter point to the previous statement.

To your point about the injector, I'd imagine one that was out of spec would throw a code considering how many sensors these cars have and how sensitive they are to small changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #140
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To your point about the injector, I'd imagine one that was out of spec would throw a code considering how many sensors these cars have and how sensitive they are to small changes.
Excellent point! However there is one tuner that has a history of not showing injector codes. The car I am thinking of was JR tuned and definitely did not have injector codes tuned out, so there goes my thinking on that particular failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:10 AM   #141
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
The N55 issues mostly occur shortly after someone (other than the dealer) changing the oil filter housing gasket. Initial theories are priming issues or debris from gasket removal falling in the block and clogging small passages.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #142
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
The N55 issues mostly occur shortly after someone (other than the dealer) changing the oil filter housing gasket. Initial theories are priming issues or debris from gasket removal falling in the block and clogging small passages.
Is there a documented priming procedure that should be performed after replacing the oil filter housing gasket?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #143
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Excellent point! However there is one tuner that has a history of not showing injector codes. The car I am thinking of was JR tuned and definitely did not have injector codes tuned out, so there goes my thinking on that particular failure.
It's still a good point to make and worth remembering though. A lot of people tend to defer maintenance if the car still runs, often not realizing that a faulty component can have other consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #144
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Of course there's more than one thing that can will cause fuel dilution, but excessive regens is the biggie. Your point deleted cars with bad bearings is spurious until you come up with the data showing when the cars you speak of were deleted and how they were run up until that point.

Once the bearings begin to wear out added power just finishes them off quicker.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 01-30-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #145
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Of course there's more than one thing that can will cause fuel dilution, but excessive regens is the biggie. Your point deleted cars with bad bearings is spurious until you come up with the data showing when the cars you speak of were deleted and how they were run up until that point.

I dont think he was making the argument that deleted cars have more excessive wear. I think what he meant is that fuel diluting the oil can happen regardless of whether you have a tune or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #146
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I dont think he was making the argument that deleted cars have more excessive wear.
Right - he was making a point about stock cars: "I dont' think running stock has anything to do with it."

It has EVERYTHING to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #147
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:

So the one car I am speaking of as an example was stock until 58K and had the front main bearing fail at 68K (tuned for 10K). While I understand you may feel my point may be spurious, the same can be said of your statement. I'd like to see the data you have showing excessive regens on a M57 are the "biggie" leading to bearing failure.

Sticking with your theory....there are plenty of stock cars in this group with high mileage...if regens caused worrisome fuel dilution, they'd all have excessive oil dilution issues (as they regen every few hundred miles) and burning through bearings. Now a regen coupled with a bad injector or other mechanical issue, such as a failed oil pump or even a bad batch of bearings...maybe
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #148
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Sticking with your theory....there are plenty of stock cars in this group with high mileage...if regens caused worrisome fuel dilution, they'd all have excessive oil dilution issues (as they regen every few hundred miles) and burning through bearings. Now a regen coupled with a bad injector or other mechanical issue, such as a failed oil pump or even a bad batch of bearings...maybe
Nadir makes a good, ahem, Point about fuel dilution being caused by regens. But by that same token, I find it hard to believe that fuel-dilution-caused-by-regen wasn't taken into account by BMW when developing the motor (they're not exactly new to the diesel game.)

Something else seems to be at play regarding these bearing failures other than just BMW's design. A bad injector or oil pump are certainly possibilities. We know that the cooler an engine runs, the greater the fuel dilution that occurs. We also know that our thermostats have a penchant for failing open thereby letting the engine run cool and that some folks don't notice it until other systems fail (like the DPF or glow plug system.) Mightn't this also be a contributing factor?

Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #149
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

You guys are so far down in the weeds with this you can't see the forest for the trees.
Quote:
there are plenty of stock cars in this group with high mileage...if regens caused worrisome fuel dilution, they'd all have excessive oil dilution issues (as they regen every few hundred miles) and burning through bearings.
That a good-running car doesn't have problems is no newsflash. What cars are "they'd all" be with reference to "all stock cars?" Even just in this group? There's a long trail of interrelated issues that leads to the failures we see in the emissions systems and they certainly don't all follow the same path. But if you're lucky enough to get into a regen situation from short tripping or get a stuck injector or whatever, you get fuel dilution right along with it. The injectors are pretty good, from what I've seen and heard, but almost EVERYONE to-a-tee gets into the emissions crap, one way or another.

That's why I say it's the primary source. Just a wild-assed guess.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      01-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #150
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a documented priming procedure that should be performed after replacing the oil filter housing gasket?
Not that I am aware of.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #151
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Right - he was making a point about stock cars: "I dont' think running stock has anything to do with it."

It has EVERYTHING to do with it.
If you are going to quote me, please do so fully:
Quote:
Quote:
You guys are so far down in the weeds with this you can't see the forest for the trees.

That a good-running car doesn't have problems is no newsflash. What cars are "they'd all" be with reference to "all stock cars?" Even just in this group? There's a long trail of interrelated issues that leads to the failures we see in the emissions systems and they certainly don't all follow the same path. But if you're lucky enough to get into a regen situation from short tripping or get a stuck injector or whatever, you get fuel dilution right along with it. The injectors are pretty good, from what I've seen and heard, but almost EVERYONE to-a-tee gets into the emissions crap, one way or another.

That's why I say it's the primary source. Just a wild-assed guess.
Same can be said for you my friend. You are so focused on debating my words that I think you could care less about the point I was trying to make. Injectors fail on deleted cars too and BMW is no stranger to having bearing issues in their engines. Yet you are asking me to back up statements with data and yet you have provided none....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #152
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
Not yet, shop ordered the main bearing through a dealer but it came from Germany and today I found out it has been on customs hold since last Tuesday.

Iv been trying to get some info from FedEx as to exactly what the hold up is but haven't heard anything back yet. Will try calling tomorrow.

I'm in the industry and "bearings" are kind of a delicate item as far as US Customs is concerned. They may be thinking it's ball bearings and of course since the govt was shut down I'm sure this got pushed to the back of line.
I had the same issue with getting bearings and having them clear customs. It took almost 3 weeks between the time we ordered a set and when they finally arrived. I was amazed that there were so few in the country. At the time we placed the order we couldnt even source a complete set from anywhere in the country. Wonder if they will stock more in the US now that there is an uptick in bearing issues on some of these engines....
Customs cleared today! I actually think FedEx dropped the ball on this because over the last 3 days I have been calling and emailing them and hadn't heard anything back. Earlier today I got through to someone at FedEx who sent out an email to the account rep for the BMW account with me in copy and within a few hours it was released.

Now showing scheduled deliver to the dealers tomorrow morning then hopefully at some point same day the shop gets in in.

If all goes well, I hope to have my car back no later than Friday.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      02-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #153
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Customs cleared today! I actually think FedEx dropped the ball on this because over the last 3 days I have been calling and emailing them and hadn't heard anything back. Earlier today I got through to someone at FedEx who sent out an email to the account rep for the BMW account with me in copy and within a few hours it was released.

Now showing scheduled deliver to the dealers tomorrow morning then hopefully at some point same day the shop gets in in.

Any updates on progress or has there been another snag in getting those bearings in?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #154
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Any updates on progress or has there been another snag in getting those bearings in?
The nightmare continues!

The tolerance is too tight with the bearing that was ordered. They (the shop) apparently polished/cleaned the crankshaft but still didn't work.

Now the shop is looking to get an undersized (thinner) bearing. This was yesterday. As of today I don't know if they have found anything.

I can't believe they didn't check the main bearings in the first place even though that's the reason I took the car there in. I told them the dealer thought the issue was either a rod or main bearing.

I'm getting very impatient with not only how this thing has gone down but also with the shop not being very proactive in their communications.
Appreciate 0