E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF Removal ??

01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #45
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Reset this prior to setting off, to get a decent reading of what the average would be.

Not sure what my MPG was before but I don't remember it saying this too much !!!

(Yep it is high Mileage, and the triangle error - was the lack of screenwash ....lol)

It was a 2 hour drive, consisting of village roads for a small part, dual carrigeway and motorway work ...... average drive I suppose.

I was in the fast lane all the time, and stuck at around 80 - 90 mph on dual carrigeway and motorway.

Like I say not sure what others are, or what mine was really, but its never hung around that mark very long I am sure !!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #46
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Interesting. I'm going to try out Shell V-Power I think. People report smoother/quieter running. Seeing as I'm in warranty I'm reluctant to use additives because I think BMW specifically stiplulate that additives are not to be used.
V-Power makes my 535d hesitate on light throttle at low rpms, just where it sits on a busy A-road or motorway. It's really unpleasant, repeatable and goes away every time I refill with regular diesel. I think it's down to the lower calorific content of the fuel, but others don't seem to notice it so it could just be my car doing something weird.

You should just use Fuelsave diesel though as it's more energy dense and has a greater typical cetane rating than V-Power according to Shell. Not to mention being 6p/litre cheaper and fresher / more likely to be blended to the current weather conditions.

I also wouldn't lose any sleep over adding Millers to a supermarket fuel. It's Euro4 compliant and intended for use with DPFs, can only improve the lubricity and detergent quality of whatever fuel you use and BMW could never determine that you'd added it. The stipulation not to use additives is sound advice in general as the cars are designed to run on regular fuel and it stops most people adding any random snake oil to their tanks which might not be suitable and cause more harm than good. Millers is not snake oil though and it will run better on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #47
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Fuel save is what I currently run. I was going to give the posh stuff a go, you reckon not worth it then?

What about BP Ultimate?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #48
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Thread, I command thee to arise from the dead!

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life as just read through it after a chance meeting with Stan at ecotune during my lunch break. Went to a local place, C&C custom exhausts to see about getting my droopy tailpipe replaced and it turns out they share a workshop. So, went in to get a cheap cosmetic mod and have now left with plans for DPF removal pipe and a remap along with said new tailpipe. The guys at both companies were great.

The price offered was amazing going on what I've read here but I guess it may be cheaper for a humble 318d.

If anyone wants to know about the issue of whether or not there is more smoke then have a wee read at this thread where it gets explained. I don't actually understand the explanation to be honest.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417009
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #49
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

i have couple questions...

1) dpf = catalysator?
2) what if i wont edit the ECU? only the engine light will be on?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #50
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

Craig - Are you still happy with the results of having the DPF removed? How's the smoke from the exhaust an issue or not?
Thinking of having my DPF removed along with re-map as judging by how often the thing is regenerating it must be getting close to knackered.

Thanks
Ian
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #51
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Have had no issues or regrets at all, I just wish I had done it sooner if I am honest.

MPG - Better
Performance/Responsive - WAY Better
DPF - Gone, so no worries of an expensive repair
Smoke - Never Noticed any real difference (But I do have to clean up my tail pipes a bit more as they are a bit sootier these days, but its a quick wipe)

I am still really impressed
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #52
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

Craig - Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is well.

Thanks
Ian
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #53
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Still feel a DPF delete is the wrong thing to do (emissions and particles in the local area) and it should fail the MOT. (i know it will not, but it should)

Quote:
Fuel save is what I currently run. I was going to give the posh stuff a go, you reckon not worth it then?

What about BP Ultimate?
BP Ultimate Diesel is my preference- both cars do seem to run better on it, but its is very subjective....slighter smoother, less vibration, more feel good factor as its cleaning the engine.
BUT it is what, 5-7p more expensive....at least BP post scientific facts behind their claims.

FuelSave is my second choice.
      05-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #54
Pwalo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 118d m sport Le Mans blue 2009

Here is a question - have you been using the engine oil specified by BMW? The oil specifed is a low ash grade - what this means is that any blow by (engine oil getting through the rings and into the combustion chamber) will inevitably end up going through the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter. If its a normal grade and not low ash then the DOC will become coated or plugged and will not regen - the DOC changes the N02 into O2 to assist in the regen or a temperature increase - the DPF will have Delta P sensors (pressure sensors) for and aft the DOC/DPF bricks to detect any increase in back pressure and will induce an Engine ECM forced regen through a fuel dump (in cylinder hydro carbon injection) that will assist when the duty cycle (or driving patterns) never gives an optimum passive regen. If the DOC has been masked with engine oil ash the forced regen will not occur and a strip and clean will probably be necessary. A jet wash with water might do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #55
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesr3 View Post
V-Power makes my 535d hesitate on light throttle at low rpms, just where it sits on a busy A-road or motorway. It's really unpleasant, repeatable and goes away every time I refill with regular diesel. I think it's down to the lower calorific content of the fuel, but others don't seem to notice it so it could just be my car doing something weird.

You should just use Fuelsave diesel though as it's more energy dense and has a greater typical cetane rating than V-Power according to Shell. Not to mention being 6p/litre cheaper and fresher / more likely to be blended to the current weather conditions.

I also wouldn't lose any sleep over adding Millers to a supermarket fuel. It's Euro4 compliant and intended for use with DPFs, can only improve the lubricity and detergent quality of whatever fuel you use and BMW could never determine that you'd added it. The stipulation not to use additives is sound advice in general as the cars are designed to run on regular fuel and it stops most people adding any random snake oil to their tanks which might not be suitable and cause more harm than good. Millers is not snake oil though and it will run better on it.
Just to piss on your parade quickly... V-Power absolutely has a HIGHER calorific value than fuelsave diesel, and a HIGHER cetane rating. Somewhere on another forum, a couple of years back, I posted the data sheet from Shell with all the figures on.

My pre-LCI 330d runs quieter and smoother on V Power, but no noticeable change in performance - which I have had in previous 4-pot cars.

Millers is good though. Stinks to high heaven, don't ever spill it on your clothes or in the boot because you'll never get rid of the smell - trust me, I know

Edit: linky

Last edited by parapaul; 05-30-2011 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #56
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Just to piss on your parade quickly... V-Power absolutely has a HIGHER calorific value than fuelsave diesel, and a HIGHER cetane rating. Somewhere on another forum, a couple of years back, I posted the data sheet from Shell with all the figures on. linky
Dont confuse vpower diesel with petrol

The diesel is a GTL fuel blend which has a lower density than the a crude alternative. Slightly less energy per unit but initially a higher ignition point.

However fuelsave came along with a higher average cetane rating and higher energy per unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #57
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I also find V-Power causes hesitation at low revs.

Fuelsave is what i use 90% of the time due it costing the least. No point owning a frugal car and pissing all the savings away on 'premium' fuels.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #58
Trout Mask Replica
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325d touring

325d -07 DPF-removal, or....

Hello,

I have just had some messages from OBC, that my DPF is at the end of it's lifetime... So, two options, removal or having new one assembled....

New one is quite expensive, if you buy it from official BMW dealer...

So, if there is available cheaper ones from the other manufacturers, I'm ready to buy one... By now I haven't seen any web dealers selling DPF-catalyzer combo for my type of BMW yet... 325d -07...
(For example Remus got DPFs for some models of BMW, but not for E90/91
http://www.remus.eu/shop-partikelfilter/)

Is there any. .? Links, please...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #59
picoto
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hello there,

I now that my car was remapped but I don´t know if the mapp still on the car.
Could be an indicative if i don´t found in the service menu the miles left for the DPF?

Is the any visual way to check it?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylad View Post
had dpf removed about 2 months ago (56 reg, 85k - e92 335d)

I never really intended for this to happen but I do mainly short journeys & had a few probs that I ended up at the Stealers (very true expression). After the 2nd time of being fleeced by the B'stards the DPF light started coming on & I couldn't get a regeneration to happen to stop the light coming on so not fancying a 3rd trip to the dealers I made the decision to buy a replacement pipe from eco tune, fit it with the help of my mate & get Simon at emaps to reprog it out of the system.

The replacement part was excellent quality & had all the relevant holes for the various sensors to be re connected back in.

On removal of the DPF ( a right b'satd to remove as it needs lots of things to be moved for the DPF to drop away) we noticed that the dealers had left an electrical connection off the dpf from the recent trip to the garage so on hindsight the replacement part wasnt needed !!!!

Finally got the DPF out (big heavy thing) & was surprised to see that it was actually quite clean. Sooty but not clogged. The new one went back in easily as it is a third of the girth of the DPF.

Car now sounds way more sporty even on tick over which I quite like & the exhaust tips are now black where as before they were spotless & would stay that way for weeks after a quick wipe.

Economy has deffo improved & can get high 40's with ease on the motorway at 70. Seen a high of 53mpg on one trip but thats not really why I bought the car. Makes me wonder what must be wrong with some of these 320d's that cant get over 40mpg.

Cant really say one way or the other wether the car is quicker with it on as it did nothing but snow the day after it was fitted & I have got winter tyres on so not really been in performance mode for quite a while but on the one ocassion I did give it the full monty it did surprise me.

One of the original probs I had with the car was it needed a new ecu (according to the stealers ) so my remap was lost so once I had the dpf removed & I had time I popped over to Cannock to see Simon (Emaps) and he remapped it again & removed all the DPF relevent parts of the software. We took the car for a run after the remap so he could check all the settings & he was surprised just how much cooler the exhaust gas was.

Am I happy so far ? Yes. no regrets so far

I'm finding recently that I can be doing over a ton pulling onto the local dual carridgeway without meaning too & what seems like so little acelleration. I put this down to the "constant" power delivery of the remap, low back pressure due to the DFP off ( just one very smooth delivery from 1.5k ) & the very quiet winter tyres.

Can't think of any other car that combines the performance with economy in the way that this does.

edit - meant to say it still doesnt smoke.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

to visually check is virtually impossible without taking it out. I helped my mate do mine (he's a mechanic with his own garage) & it was a right struggle getting it out.

If the dealers hadn't left mine unplugged I would probably still have my dpf fitted & if it blocked I would have a go at cleaning it 1st before buying a new one. Mine is in the garage & can either go to the next owner or I will save if the MOT's change.

Would rather have left it on to be honest didnt want to give the dealers another £1500 after giving em £1500 for a new ecu & vacuum sensors,
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #61
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Quote:
Interesting. I'm going to try out Shell V-Power I think. People report smoother/quieter running. Seeing as I'm in warranty I'm reluctant to use additives because I think BMW specifically stiplulate that additives are not to be used.
I was about to order some Millers for my 335d when I read the additives may possibly damage the catalyst within the DPF, hence didn't bother. I certainly would use it without DPF though. My car has a 12 month used warranty, it is an 08 plate with 22K miles and the average speed when I received it from a London dealership last week was only 24.8mph! When I sold my previous 335d average speed was somewhere around 44mph by the time I sold it (basically no traffic where I live, especially when driving at night).

Fortunately for me, I drive quite good distances most weeks and the engine gets chance to breath.

Thanks for the post re the DPF, I've found it most interesting. I know it's not all about economy, though an increase in fuel economy would always be most welcome. The puff of diesel when accelerating hard is a like rubbing salt in the wound when overtaking some performance petrol engined cars, good fun. Nothing Autosol and fine grade steel wool won't fix on the tail pipes either!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #62
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

I put bg244 in mine to clean out the carbon in the engine & use it every 7,500 miles. Supposed to be very good by all accounts. I got mine from power enhancer but even with their coupon code it was still cheaper on Ebay.

Sorting out my crankcase filter & red charge pipe, may have a delve into the swirl flaps or at least have a look for them & clean out the egr & intake manifold.

I bought a wire wool brush attachment for my drill re the exhaust... son cleans em but there are dirty again 150 mile later though.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #63
Dunners75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post
I am thinking of taking it to Top Gear - Bridport to get the job done.
Hi Craig, I have read this post from start to finish and I am trying to work out where you had this work done? Was it completed by Top Gear in the end?

Really interested in this thread, some great info on here, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #64
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Yep it was Top Gear who carried out the work. Their remaps are done by a subcontractor - in-house.

http://www.topgear.co.uk/

Nearly a year now, and still she runs perfect and has not faltered once ..... still loving the performance and MPG too

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #65
Hartge
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330d Sport

Could this DPF cause the turbo to go faulty? Mine is not working and have been told it could be DPF is blocked?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #66
WEEZAR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Anybody else do the DPF removal yet on the 335d? Anyone use this place?
http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/pr...moval_Solution
Appreciate 0