E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 'Play' in gear stick...

04-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
jester77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 2011

'Play' in gear stick...

Hi all, I've noticed on my 60k mile '05 330i that there is a little (about 1cm) sloppiness in the gear shift. When in neutral, you have to move through this looseness before feeling the stiffer movement of the actual gear selection. Means you can also wobble the stick slightly from side to side when in neutral with very little resistance.

I seem to remember having the same with my E30 318is a few years back, which was cured by replacing bushes in the linkage. Could that be the same thing here? If so, is it a big job to do?

Might of course be perfectly normal as it's not a major issue and doesn't affect the shift at all. It's just that there is something strangely satisfying about keeping everything nice and tight and as new (it's also a combination of these sort of things that make a car feel like it's a bit tired also).

Thoughts much appreciated!
Appreciate 0