E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > thermostat 2ae4 "stuck open"...can it lead to mixture control faults?

06-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
thermostat 2ae4 "stuck open"...can it lead to mixture control faults?

My car is a 2007 e90 N52 with 143k miles.

I've been getting thermostat CELs from time to time, maybe every month or two, fault code 2ae4. This has been going on for roughly a year. I've thought about replacing the thermostat but figured no real issue here other than clearing the code occasionally....maybe wait until the water pump blows before doing the replacement.

About three months ago, got a fuel mixture control fault. Cleaned the MAF, check the airbox and silencer connections, cleared code, everything was fine for about a month. Since then, two other incidences of fuel mixture faults.

Today, I read some general car commentary (not BMW specific) saying that stuck open thermostats can cause the mixture to run rich and cause odb faults.

So, my question, for those of you who had the thermostat stuck open for awhile, did you experience fuel mixture issues?

thanks in advance for comments.
Appreciate 0