E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger Restraint System Fault

05-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
rshaffer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 335xi

Passenger Restraint System Fault

Gents,

Let's start with the basics:
2011 E90 BMW 335XI sedan with sport package
No engine mods, only cosmetic angel eye upgrade
61,500 miles - out of warranty, opted in for maintenance program upgrade

Over the weekend I had someone in the passenger seat when I got the following warning - "Restraint system malfunction. Fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center."

So today I took the car in for an oil change, talked to the serviceman, and unfortunately there are no active recalls for this issue on my year, make, model, and VIN number. I've done a lot of looking around on this forum and others but can't find a DIY or trouble shooting guide for this issue. I've seen on earlier models (2006?) there was a recall for the passenger occupancy mat so maybe I have the same issue here? BMW advised if an accident were to occur the airbag would deploy "standard" and not "staged" in relation to the weight of the occupant in that seat. This obviously could be dangerous but I'm not one of those people that puts their kids in the front seat. I know there are some aftermarket bypass plug in units I can get on eBay for $60 that would indicate the seat is occupied, bypass the seat belt light and chime, and deploy the airbag in the event of a crash in some way, shape, or form. There is no way the airbag could have a staged deployment due to not knowing the weight of the occupant.

What are your thoughts? I expect BMW will come back this afternoon with a four figure number to replace the occupancy mat. To trouble shoot the issue they want to charge $116+tax.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
rshaffer
United_States
Rep

Here's a couple pictures including the fault message on i-drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

based on some quick googling, it seems the only thing that has an electronic plug on it that relates to the seatbelt is the Seat Belt Buckle Pretensioner.

theres a couple on ebay for ~ $50
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
rshaffer
United_States
Rep

i saw that as well. although nothing is for certain unless there's a way to trouble shoot the issue and determine what component is bad. i wonder if i could scan the system using an appropriate BMW tool beyond the standard ODBII tool to find out exactly where the fault occurred? i'd probably just need the appropriate cable and software for my PC.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

you will be able to scan for what that code is with the right tools. Even the BMWhat App i think will be able to scan for it with the right adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
rshaffer
United_States
Rep

got the BMWhat scanner version 2 in the mail today, hooked it up and came back with 3 codes. Engine was on while scanning so it picked up the maximum amount of ECUs.

0. Airbag
Safety battery terminal 0093B2

0. Instrument cluster/Kombiinstrument
Shutdown 00A559

1. Central Control / Zentrale Bedieneinheit
Errors, logic errors / Bus communication error 00E2C7

I'm going to do some googling now to see if I come back with anything before I reset the codes.

Any thoughts guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
rshaffer
United_States
Rep

Checked battery safety terminal, nothing wrong, pyrotechnic still intact and positive battery cable is in good condition. Cleared faults, restarted the car and drive 65 miles, no issues. Fingers crossed it was a low voltage fault on the battery. Battery voltage is steady at 14.0 volts.
Appreciate 0