E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

08-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #441
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i N53

ptpending
Great, that is what I thought. For e90 modules from e60/61 are not compatible.
So I have to look for X1, x5, x6 and z4 (and 3er e90).

Thx a lot for your time
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #442
BurtDiesel
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Racer View Post
Retrofitting E90 Seats into a Hot Rod or other car without a computer (KCAN).

Just wanted to add to this great discussion. I have been reading this for over a year while I build a 1968 Mustang Fastback. I have a set of 2008 M3 seats in dark red that matches the cars Shelby strips.

Obviously, the car does not have a KCAN signal or feed to keep the Driver's seat activated. I have been searching for a solution for quite a while and I think I found one...

I started with a 5v source @ 1-2 amps to trigger the KCAN feeds into the seat.

1st test included simply touching the wire to the feeds in the seat...result: seat worked for about 30secs to 1 min. By disconnecting and reconnecting, I was able to get another 30secs to 1 min.

2nd test, I found a common LED power source for retrofit automotive tail lights. It dropped the 12v feed to 5v - LEDs dont need full power. So by using an early mustang retrofit module where the LEDs sequenced to turn on each individual light bulb as the turn signal is activated, (the new mustangs, this feature is built in) I created a pulsing 5v signal. Low and behold, I found / created a signal that the seat saw as a KCAN Signal.

Result... the seat worked continuously while the ignition was active. All the other functions work when wired as others here have described.

For the Heated Seat function, I found a 10min timed relay. When a 12v signal was applied (via momentary switch), it would trigger the relay sending power to the heating element for 10mins then disconnect. If you wanted more time, hit the momentary trigger switch and the cycle started again. FYI... these relays come in many different times, 1 min, 2mins, 5mins... etc.

Just wanted to share my 2 solutions...
Do you have a link to the led source you used? I tried a low voltage pulse generator off of Amazon. Could not get to work and instead made an on/off button built into the set that you have to flip each time you want to move the seat. Kind of annoying. Same thing on the heated seats. Do you have a link for the parts you used?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #443
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Hello boys. That's an old post however I want to ask for some info. I'm going to install full adjustment electric sport seats (seats have all options inc heat) into my e90. The car has stock basic seats (non electric) with heat. You know there are many VO codes for seats. So, which VO code or multiple codes should I add to cas unit to work those ones? I think to code them also for seat memory. Thanks for help.

Last edited by bmw-extreme; 11-03-2021 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #444
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

Quote:
Retrofitting E90 Seats into a Hot Rod or other car without a computer (KCAN).

Just wanted to add to this great discussion. I have been reading this for over a year while I build a 1968 Mustang Fastback. I have a set of 2008 M3 seats in dark red that matches the cars Shelby strips.

Obviously, the car does not have a KCAN signal or feed to keep the Driver's seat activated. I have been searching for a solution for quite a while and I think I found one...

I started with a 5v source @ 1-2 amps to trigger the KCAN feeds into the seat.

1st test included simply touching the wire to the feeds in the seat...result: seat worked for about 30secs to 1 min. By disconnecting and reconnecting, I was able to get another 30secs to 1 min.

2nd test, I found a common LED power source for retrofit automotive tail lights. It dropped the 12v feed to 5v - LEDs dont need full power. So by using an early mustang retrofit module where the LEDs sequenced to turn on each individual light bulb as the turn signal is activated, (the new mustangs, this feature is built in) I created a pulsing 5v signal. Low and behold, I found / created a signal that the seat saw as a KCAN Signal.

Result... the seat worked continuously while the ignition was active. All the other functions work when wired as others here have described.

For the Heated Seat function, I found a 10min timed relay. When a 12v signal was applied (via momentary switch), it would trigger the relay sending power to the heating element for 10mins then disconnect. If you wanted more time, hit the momentary trigger switch and the cycle started again. FYI... these relays come in many different times, 1 min, 2mins, 5mins... etc.

Just wanted to share my 2 solutions...
Just to add: I discovered by myself another solution:
By grounding he CAN signal every 10 seconds, the powered seats keep working
I will do a simple arduino program (similar to blink a led) that will turn a PIN low every 5 seconds.
I measured and there is hardly any power draw (less than 1mA), so no relay should be required
      11-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #445
blackshark
Rep
Drives: E36 X5e70

Hello,

Hello

First of all thanks for doing this thread, it is very helpful for users of different BMW series ...

I have read the thread carefully several times and for my car x5 e70 3.0D from 2008 (235) I cannot decipher pins 6 and 7 of the X279. from pin 7 I can't find anything.

Now I am trying to find out the following:

for entries that are not active, it is necessary that the SMFA and SMFB module be connected to the K_CAN?

I suppose that if they have memory and we want to make use of it, the answer will be Yes.

then the following question comes to me:

pins 2 and 3 of X279 are from K_CAN so where do I connect them to enable minorities? to two pins whatever the sea. K_CAN because it is a network and it doesn't matter? Should they be free or can I weld them to ones that are already occupied?

So he learned the memories, say the keypads with memory, when using the memory, they work with the BZM module and this communicates with the CAS through K_CAN S and this in turn with the module under the seat through K_CAN P.

I also know that you have to feed the keypad by pulling a line to a fuse from the rear fuse box on the right side of the trunk to a 30G 5A fuse. since pin 4 or 9 that powers the module is 30G and 30A.

To save us from throwing out the line, it can be connected to another pin that is already connected to a 5A and will never be used at the same time .... I can get the mass by screwing to the base of the seat with a simple ring socket. although I think it is better to go to pin 8.

thanks for reading

@woodpecka @dasammy

Last edited by blackshark; 11-26-2021 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: name the authors of the thread
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #446
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #447
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #448
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #449
blackshark
Rep

I have read the thread several times and I am left with the following doubt:

passenger seat. is it necessary to connect to the K-CAN? I do not need or want to heat the seats or memory in the passenger.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #450
blackshark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
hey guys, it's nice to see that this thread is still useful 10 years after it started.

I still run my retrofited seats without any issue.

good luck!

I have read the thread several times and I am left with the following doubt:

passenger seat. is it necessary to connect to the K-CAN? I do not need or want to heat the seats or memory in the passenger.

It is also not clear to me where to connect pins 2 and 3 of the K-CAN. I say that for example to the i-drive (in WDS it is called CON of controller) I suppose it will be to the pins 4K-CAN-L and 3K-CAN-H of the X10387 soldering the cable that comes from the seat in the following way:
Seat pin 2 (K-CAN-H) with Idrive pin 3 (K-CAN-L)

y Pin 3 of the seat (K-CAN-H) with pin 4 of the idrive (K-CAN-L)

The question is: do I solder the cable coming from the seat (pin 2) to the idrive pin 3 and the cable coming from the seat (pin3) to the idrive pin 4?

then in pin 3 of the idrive will enter 2 cables and in pin 4 of the idrive another two .... will the system work? Is the answer because it is a CAN network? .... I have some doubts on this topic please help.

Last edited by blackshark; 11-30-2021 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Pictures add
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:44 PM   #451
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #452
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #453
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #454
blackshark
Rep

Reflecting this issue ... if you only have the driver module and install seats with driver and passenger modules. I have to wire the two CAN cables from the passenger as far as the idrive catches for example ... that has become clear to me. But should you code?

Are there pictures of how you connect the K-CAN H and K-CAN L cables to the idriver or another site? where do you get the cables and connectors?

a greeting
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #455
Red Racer
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5, 1991 E31 V12 6sp

BurtDiesel / 4EST...

The LED module I originally used started to give me issues. So, I went back and re-worked the solution. I started with a timed relay module...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3KCQZB...roduct_details

This allowed me to program the relay to turn on for 3 sec and turn off for 3 sec. I found that at 5 sec, then 4 sec intervals didn't re-activate the seat module. 3 sec seems to work continuously. It also gave me a higher amp rating which is where LED relay was failing.

Keep in mind this relay module is for 12v options and the seat only likes 5v. So, after the relay, I reduced the voltage to 5v by using a common Buck regulator set for 12v to 5v. There are many options out there... This is the one I picked.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Electric...758521&sr=8-17

Now the seat works continuously without any issues. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #456
Red Racer
Rep

blackshark

My passenger seat works without the K-Can signal. Use the wiring diagrams here and add power ( + and - ) to the seat and you should be good.

Keep in mind, I installed these seats in my '68 Mustang Fastback. Well before computers!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #457
Red Racer
Rep

blackshark

Re-reading your post, my seat does not have memory in the passenger seat. FYI though, both seats have the same control modules. So, the computer signal might something programmed in the memory seat switches. Driver - memory buttons / Passenger - no memory buttons.

These seats came from a 2008 M3 E92 and the modules in both seats are 9-148-265.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #458
blackshark
Rep

Quote:
blackshark

Re-reading your post, my seat does not have memory in the passenger seat. FYI though, both seats have the same control modules. So, the computer signal might something programmed in the memory seat switches. Driver - memory buttons / Passenger - no memory buttons.

These seats came from a 2008 M3 E92 and the modules in both seats are 9-148-265.
Hello! Thanks for answering!
in the original seats, the driver has the SMFA module (and thus the K-CAN cables), but the passenger does not. The ones I have new are the sports that both the passenger and the confuctor have a module (SMFA and SMBF), so the passenger pins 2 and 3 remain in the seat without connection. Do they need to be connected for the seat to work? Or is it only necessary if I want to make use of memory also for the passenger, also the question of whether this passenger seat must be encoded or not for it to work? Or you just need to code it for the memory to work!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:52 AM   #459
blackshark
Rep

Quote:
blackshark

My passenger seat works without the K-Can signal. Use the wiring diagrams here and add power ( + and - ) to the seat and you should be good.

Keep in mind, I installed these seats in my '68 Mustang Fastback. Well before computers!
Last but not least, the '68 Mustang Fastback! Simply a brutal beauty! It is one of my favorites!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #460
blackshark
Rep

Where do you buy the K-CAN cable from? I can't find it anywhere, thank you.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #461
blackshark
Rep

Up
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #462
blackshark
Rep

Up