E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Yet Another (Sport) Steering Wheel Leather Wrap…

01-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #23
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Just got my kit today from Aliexpress. Looks like real leather so fingers crossed it is!. I didnt go for a centre stripe at the top, so hopefully it wont trigger my OCD by showing the wheel isnt 100% central when Ive finished.

TBH I am abit worried about making a mess of it. Im not sure what pattern I have to sew in as the instructions are abit vague as you can guess. Will watch a couple of videos and see if I can get my head round it abit more before I start.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #24
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
Just got my kit today from Aliexpress. Looks like real leather so fingers crossed it is!. I didnt go for a centre stripe at the top, so hopefully it wont trigger my OCD by showing the wheel isnt 100% central when Ive finished.

TBH I am abit worried about making a mess of it. Im not sure what pattern I have to sew in as the instructions are abit vague as you can guess. Will watch a couple of videos and see if I can get my head round it abit more before I start.
Zero to 60 does a pretty good explanation for it. Just take your time. Use as much tape as you like and keep it tight as you continue along. You got this

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:40 AM   #25
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I watched a few vids last night and it has set my mind at ease. The only thing that I keep questioning is the tape... Mewant's vids he only uses a tab here and there, but my instructions and others have covered the inside of theirs with tape.. I want it tought with no wrinkles so I am thinking I will use the plenty of tape method.
Gonna attempt it today. 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #26
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Tape is not 1000% necessary on every part, but the more you have, the better it will stick. Pulling the thread tight is what ensures it has no wrinkles.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #27
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is the kit I received... Went for Grey Stitching as my car is Silver and has the Aluminium trim inside. My wheel is an SE version so not Leather finish to begin with.

After a good few hrs today I have ended with this!...

Very happy with it overall, just need to tidy up behind the 3 spokes a little, as I feel the finish here lets it down. Want to sort that before I mount it back in the car. 😎
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #28
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/4yqSZyK7/20220120_112742.jpg[/img]

This is the kit I received... Went for Grey Stitching as my car is Silver and has the Aluminium trim inside. My wheel is an SE version so not Leather finish to begin with.

After a good few hrs today I have ended with this!...

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/02K4nY3p/20220120_164647.jpg[/img]

Very happy with it overall, just need to tidy up behind the 3 spokes a little, as I feel the finish here lets it down. Want to sort that before I mount it back in the car. 😎
Wow, very clean job. You really did do a good job of avoiding wrinkles. Good on you man. It should feel a lot softer now. Be careful what you treat it with though.

I use meguiars "ultimate" leather detailer product now. It cleans and conditions leather (plastic and vinyl too), and also leaves behind some UV protection. It doesn't leave a greasy/shiny residue so its good for steering wheels and seats. No slipperiness, and more of a satin vs a gloss finish. I wanted to keep the natural texture because my old new wheel became shiny really quickly after I used mink oil (like a year tops) which was kind of what I was trying to avoid. YMMV based on how you upkeep it though/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #29
Luper52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Not bad P14kle, looks good.

Instagram - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #30
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Back in place... Very happy with the results now I've trimmed and tidied up the rear of the wheel.

Feels brilliant and chunky now. 😎
Thanks for all the help/encouragement guys. 👍

Appreciate 2
fmc00039.00
      02-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #31
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Back in place... Very happy with the results now I've trimmed and tidied up the rear of the wheel.

Feels brilliant and chunky now. 😎
Thanks for all the help/encouragement guys. 👍

This looks great! any particular videos help the most? Did you use lots of tape
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #32
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I didnt use 'lots' as in one of the videos on youtube (I forget which one, but they literally plastered it in tape) Watch a few and make your own mind up which to follow.

I cant see any disadvantages to using lots of tape tbh, as long as its flat and doesnt show through the leather when tight.

It needs to be used around the 3 spokes mostly, on both sides to keep it tight when starting off.

The hardest bit was tidying up the back side of the wheel. I used some Gorilla Glue in the end (as my cover is never coming off) and then trimmed the excess leather with a sharp knife to give a clean edge where it meets the rubbery rear part of the wheel.

It makes a huge difference to driving experience, 1 of the best mods I've done id say..
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00
      02-19-2022, 01:13 AM   #33
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Custom wheel wrap with matching saddle brown leather strip, matches the rest of the saddle brown in the car.
I have 3 sport wheels w/paddles and 1 base wheel I will be wrapping and posting forsale here.
Pm me if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 03:59 AM   #34
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaosKid View Post
Yes. Honesty I thought about it and, if you don't have something to practice on at least a little, I think it may be worth it to simply pay someone to do it. This was my 2nd attempt, 1st one was on my old wheel and it wasn't that good. I used black thread because I knew it was going to look uneven so wanted to hide the thread as much as possible lol.

Lots of little things involved to get it to look right. How tight to pull the thread, remembering to go back after the leather relaxed/stretched and tighten again so it doesn't get loose later, constantly checking if the wrap is still centred in the correct position, etc.
If you pay someone, you know you're going to get good quality. And you can ask them for any stitch pattern and types of material for the wheel. If they mess up they can deal with it not you. Not a bad choice tbh.

And since you're always in contact with the wheel, it's a good mod because you will always notice it. I dislike the leather they use on all but the m-sport and m3 wheel (personal opinion). The leather on stock sport/non sport wheels to me feels too rubbery/plasticky. Maybe it's just the LCI models bc BMW cheaped out hard on them. or maybe its just due to the age of the wheel. Either way its not grippy enough. With how heavy BMW tuned the power steering, the increase in grip from a new softer wrap is noticeable.

One thing i'm regretting is not modding my wheel to have heated steering. I wonder if anyone has done their own heated steering by wrapping a thin heating element around the wheel and then covering it with a leather wrap..
Yea I think if you're someone with a good patience and surgical hands this could be okay, but for most people it's very frustrating. I suspect it would be easier to buy a used wheel with a heater, rewrap it and retrofit it to the car. I have a heated wheel and end up using gloves anyway. I find the heater element does not do the whole wheel.
I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. With how much people on ebay are asking for heated sport wheels, if I do want one eventually, I will do a custom one, and then cover the element with a leather wrap.
Appreciate 0