E90Post
 


Coby Wheel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS, brake, 4x4, service engine lights all came on!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

ABS, brake, 4x4, service engine lights all came on!

Hey everyone,

I've enjoyed reading posts on here for years, but this is my first post.

My 2009 328i xDrive has relatively low miles (about 91k). Unfortunately, living in upstate NY with the ugly weather and salt, she's been accumulating issues over the past few years. I was lucky enough to have the leaking valve cover gasket repaired free under the SULEV warranty about a year ago. Unfortunately, I now have an oil pan gasket leak. Since the axle shaft bolts are completely rusted, BMW (and my local guy) quoted over $5,000. Not worth it for a fairly minor leak.

I've already ordered a new iX but sadly it won't arrive until summer.

Yesterday, when I pulled out of my driveway, most of my dash lights suddenly came on. I'll include a photo. Incidentally, my cruise control stopped working once they came on. (also the tire light is just because I don't have TPMS on my snow tires)

When I restart the car after a few hours, all the lights (except service engine) are off. It takes between 1 and 10 minutes for them all to come back on again.

Any thoughts? I have an old diagnostic tool I plan to plug in when I get home.

Thanks very much!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
cliffschum
Private
6
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2006 330
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Upstate South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Could be steering angle sensor, which some diagnostics are able to correct…at least in the short term.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
219
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Out of the Office

iTrader: (0)

As mentioned above the lights other than the SES typically point to the steering angle sensor. This also happens when ever you remove power from the vehicle. To correct that you can turn the wheel in park full left to the stops and then right to the stops. If that doesn't work, there is a calibration routine in ISTA. If neither one of those work, you'll need to identify the fault with a DTC and probably replace the SAS. As for the SES, you'll need a readout to see what fault is causing that as there are several possibilities.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffschum View Post
Could be steering angle sensor, which some diagnostics are able to correct…at least in the short term.
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
As mentioned above the lights other than the SES typically point to the steering angle sensor. This also happens when ever you remove power from the vehicle. To correct that you can turn the wheel in park full left to the stops and then right to the stops. If that doesn't work, there is a calibration routine in ISTA. If neither one of those work, you'll need to identify the fault with a DTC and probably replace the SAS. As for the SES, you'll need a readout to see what fault is causing that as there are several possibilities.
Thanks very much for the info! I'll see if I can tell what error messages are coming up. Hopefully my local shop can deal with the SAS if that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
As mentioned above the lights other than the SES typically point to the steering angle sensor. This also happens when ever you remove power from the vehicle. To correct that you can turn the wheel in park full left to the stops and then right to the stops. If that doesn't work, there is a calibration routine in ISTA. If neither one of those work, you'll need to identify the fault with a DTC and probably replace the SAS. As for the SES, you'll need a readout to see what fault is causing that as there are several possibilities.
So I have a very old CarMD diagnostic tool that I figured I'd try out. The SES light is the only one on right now (since the ABS, DTC, 4x4 lights only come on while driving). The only error that comes up in the report is P1775:
CAN Wheel Speed Rear Wheel Right No Signal.

It suggests the ABS Control module (expensive repair) or possibly the ABS wheel speed sensor.

Can the steering angle sensor give these issues? Or would a dead ABS wheel speed sensor cause all the lights to come on?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
55
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

A bad wheel sensor would cause all the lights. As these are cheap and easy to replace -- I'd replace the wheel sensor first. Note that you also should clean up the reluctor ring, as rusts on it can damage the sensor or make it malfunction.

I had similar symptoms and replacing the bad sensor fixed it
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
POBEP
First Lieutenant
POBEP's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: E70 E90 E91
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Christmas Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
A bad wheel sensor would cause all the lights. As these are cheap and easy to replace -- I'd replace the wheel sensor first. Note that you also should clean up the reluctor ring, as rusts on it can damage the sensor or make it malfunction.

I had similar symptoms and replacing the bad sensor fixed it
IthacaMD - as andy_06xi noted, start with a speed sensor sensor. You can get ATE (OE supplier for this part) - it is super cheap and identical to one installed at the factory. It should take you 30min to replace the sensor, out of which 15 min is removing and putting back on rear right wheel

The speed sensor triggers all above lights as its data used for ABS, traction control (e.g. your 4x4 light)

Once sensor is replaced, lights will go off.

I had exact same experience last year on my E91.
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
219
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Out of the Office

iTrader: (0)

3rd on the wheel speed sensor. It's a super easy DIY.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
A bad wheel sensor would cause all the lights. As these are cheap and easy to replace -- I'd replace the wheel sensor first. Note that you also should clean up the reluctor ring, as rusts on it can damage the sensor or make it malfunction.

I had similar symptoms and replacing the bad sensor fixed it
andy_06xi, Thanks! Never even heard of a reluctor ring until now, so I'll check that out too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
IthacaMD - as andy_06xi noted, start with a speed sensor sensor. You can get ATE (OE supplier for this part) - it is super cheap and identical to one installed at the factory. It should take you 30min to replace the sensor, out of which 15 min is removing and putting back on rear right wheel

The speed sensor triggers all above lights as its data used for ABS, traction control (e.g. your 4x4 light)

Once sensor is replaced, lights will go off.

I had exact same experience last year on my E91.
I had been thinking I'd need to remove the brakes to do this, but after checking out a couple videos, it looks much easier than that. I doubt I can get the part locally, but I can probably live a few days while it's getting shipped. Thanks for the advice!
I'll post when I get the part installed. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:00 AM   #12
plmbst
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2009 x drive touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: L.I., N.Y.

iTrader: (0)

So how did you make out?
Did a replacement speed sensor solve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #13
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbst View Post
So how did you make out?
Did a replacement speed sensor solve the issue?
Sorry for the delay. For some reason, I don't get an email notification when there's a question.
As it happens, a) my lights all stopped coming on and b) I hit a deer somebody had just whacked into my lane, so I was distracted with that.
Also, it's been super cold here (upstate NY) so I haven't gotten around to installing it, but I do have the part and plan to do it...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
CRAJ2011
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i 2011
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

2011 BMW 328i ABS, speedometer, and brake light going crazy

https://youtube.com/shorts/zS0Di09pUec?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/zS0Di09pUec?feature=share

Hey guy,

I have a 2011 328i and was driving and experienced this issue the other day. Any idea on what the problem is?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAJ2011 View Post
https://youtube.com/shorts/zS0Di09pUec?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/zS0Di09pUec?feature=share

Hey guy,

I have a 2011 328i and was driving and experienced this issue the other day. Any idea on what the problem is?

I'd run the diagnostic to see what it says. I never ended up replacing my speed sensor because a) the lights all stopped going on b) it was really cold so I was waiting for spring and now c) I'm getting a new car in the next couple months anyway. Sorry I can't really help here, but I'd try the speed sensor if you get a similar report as I had. Actually if you decide to do it, I could sell you a brand new one at a nice discount. I was stupid and it just sat in the box. Might be the same model since we're only 2 yrs apart.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #16
Suvorovo
Private
Suvorovo's Avatar
15
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW e90 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Some people on the forum were able to replace their xdrive oil pan gasket without removing the axles and differential components. Overall, job looks pretty sketchy, but with a helper maybe you can give it ago.

You can remove the front driveshaft to make the whole piece slightly lighter.

Also, confirm if the oil pan gasket is covered under sulev warranty. I've seen mixed results for people when I was briefly entertaining a SULEV e90.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451912
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
IthacaMD
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Some people on the forum were able to replace their xdrive oil pan gasket without removing the axles and differential components. Overall, job looks pretty sketchy, but with a helper maybe you can give it ago.

You can remove the front driveshaft to make the whole piece slightly lighter.

Also, confirm if the oil pan gasket is covered under sulev warranty. I've seen mixed results for people when I was briefly entertaining a SULEV e90.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451912
Yeah I've had three separate mechanics say it's definitely not worth the cost of the job since most of the parts are rusted and need to be cut off. And I'm just not that handy under the car to try to do it myself. New iX coming in a couple months so it won't be my problem anymore.

It did get looked at by my dealership but they said it wasn't covered the SULEV warranty, unfortunately. The valve cover gasket was covered last year, and I think that did get me an extra year with this girl...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #18
Suvorovo
Private
Suvorovo's Avatar
15
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW e90 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

What "parts" were rusted other than the axle nuts? Asking because I might have to do an oil pan job myself in the future. I couldn't imagine there being that kind of rust on the various suspension pieces. Most of the secondary bolts and nuts (i.e. the skid plate bolts/oil pan bolts) are all aluminum.

1. Control arms/tie rod nuts?
2. Subframe bolts?
3. Engine mount bolts/nuts?
4. Drive shaft bolts?

That's pretty much it for an oil pan job. Sounds like the shop didn't want to deal with the axle nuts. I've watched some people doing jobs on heavily rusted nuts and grinding out the nuts destroys the steering knuckle and CV axle.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST