E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC: Vehicle Status

11-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Michael Z.
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1, 2008 BMW X3

CIC: Vehicle Status

I recently replaced the CIC in my X1 as the previous unit failed. The donor vehicle was a 135. After virginizing the CIC and creating/signing my own certificates using FSTool, the nav and voice commands are working perfectly. The only area I'm struggling with is within the "Vehicle Status" tab on the CIC.

As you can see, the ghosted image of the vehicle still looks like a 1 series. Is there a way to change this? This is me just nerding out, it's not super necessary.

Secondary note, there is a TMP malfunction error. I'm guessing this is independent of the CIC swap. We bought the X1 with a failed CIC so I was never familiar with how it worked before.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Have you recoded the CIC with the VO in NCS expert yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
Michael Z.
Rep

I wouldn't know where to start...NCS Expert is a bit intimidating. Are there any resources available (instructions) on how to change the VO? There are references like ZCS or attributes that I have no idea what to do with. The last thing I want to do is brick this CIC. Is this the only route?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
evominati
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Here - http://blog.obdii365 dot com/2016/08/31/change-bmw-vo-vehicle-order-by-ncs-expert/ it's pretty nice explained. There is a VO/FA list here in the forum.
      11-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
Michael Z.
Rep

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. If you are referring to this list: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717103, can you point me in the direction of what to look for? Would it be "S102A CHASSIS, OFFICIALS UTILITY VEHICLE"?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

You aren't trying to change the vo.
Just align the config of your cic with the vo.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Michael Z.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
You aren't trying to change the vo.
Just align the config of your cic with the vo.
Thanks for this. But not sure how/where I would do this. I did get the software to work, just not confident in the steps.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

I don't have ncs infront of me to do this description perfectly. So forgive any errors and ask away if needed.

Open ncs
Load revtor's profile
Select the button (or use F1) [VIN/ZCS/FA]
Select the button (or use F3) [ZCS/FA f. ECU]
Select chassis code E89
Choose an ECU to read the VO from (this is stored in CAS and FRM/NFRM) - choose CAS for simplicity
Now NCS should read your VO from the CAS, this will take a moment, eventually the VIN, and other fields will be filled at the upper part of the window.

Now you can select the button (or use F6) [Back]
Select the button (or use F4) [Process ECU]
Select CIC from the list of modules

Now the CIC only is being targeted by NCS for the operation you want to perform.

Selecting button (or F2) [Change Job] will give you a list of commands you can execute on the ECU. Some are read operations some are write operations. Once selected any job will be immediately commenced by...

Pressing button (or F3) [execute job]

So in order to make your CIC automatically update its coding to that which is applicable to your vehicle you have to write a blank file to it. This is called colloquially a .MAN file (although it doesn't necessarily have to be blank in all cases).

In the NCS work folder (a windows folder located wherever your NCS installed it to) there are a number of files.

Find the NCS work folder and open it to view the files, which can be opened via notepad as code or via NCS Dummy (by browsing to it) for a graphical display of options.

The default .MAN file is blank anyway so for the purposes of sorting this out we'll not get to the details of coding.

You should open the .MAN file in notepad to be certain it is blank, if it isn't then overwrite it with a blank file created in notepad and saved with a .MAN extension. Or delete everything and save it blank.

NCS will automatically access and use this file to send to the selected ECU - CIC in our case - provided it is located in the NCS work folder.

So back to NCS

Select job SG Codieren this will instruct NCS to send the .MAN file to the ecu, forcing it to recode itself based on the options read from the CAS earlier.

Hit F3 and the job will execute.
Cic will switch off and reboot with its new configuration.

You should ideally have stable voltage at least 12v for the entire operation. Ignition on the whole time.

We could discuss coding at greater length but its done to death.

There are a few ways to make a .MAN
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Michael Z.
Rep

Thanks Andy, I will try this today.
Appreciate 0