E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS, brake, 4x4, service engine lights all came on!

12-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
IthacaMD
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

ABS, brake, 4x4, service engine lights all came on!

Hey everyone,

I've enjoyed reading posts on here for years, but this is my first post.

My 2009 328i xDrive has relatively low miles (about 91k). Unfortunately, living in upstate NY with the ugly weather and salt, she's been accumulating issues over the past few years. I was lucky enough to have the leaking valve cover gasket repaired free under the SULEV warranty about a year ago. Unfortunately, I now have an oil pan gasket leak. Since the axle shaft bolts are completely rusted, BMW (and my local guy) quoted over $5,000. Not worth it for a fairly minor leak.

I've already ordered a new iX but sadly it won't arrive until summer.

Yesterday, when I pulled out of my driveway, most of my dash lights suddenly came on. I'll include a photo. Incidentally, my cruise control stopped working once they came on. (also the tire light is just because I don't have TPMS on my snow tires)

When I restart the car after a few hours, all the lights (except service engine) are off. It takes between 1 and 10 minutes for them all to come back on again.

Any thoughts? I have an old diagnostic tool I plan to plug in when I get home.

Thanks very much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Could be steering angle sensor, which some diagnostics are able to correct…at least in the short term.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

As mentioned above the lights other than the SES typically point to the steering angle sensor. This also happens when ever you remove power from the vehicle. To correct that you can turn the wheel in park full left to the stops and then right to the stops. If that doesn't work, there is a calibration routine in ISTA. If neither one of those work, you'll need to identify the fault with a DTC and probably replace the SAS. As for the SES, you'll need a readout to see what fault is causing that as there are several possibilities.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffschum View Post
Could be steering angle sensor, which some diagnostics are able to correct…at least in the short term.
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
As mentioned above the lights other than the SES typically point to the steering angle sensor. This also happens when ever you remove power from the vehicle. To correct that you can turn the wheel in park full left to the stops and then right to the stops. If that doesn't work, there is a calibration routine in ISTA. If neither one of those work, you'll need to identify the fault with a DTC and probably replace the SAS. As for the SES, you'll need a readout to see what fault is causing that as there are several possibilities.
Thanks very much for the info! I'll see if I can tell what error messages are coming up. Hopefully my local shop can deal with the SAS if that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
So I have a very old CarMD diagnostic tool that I figured I'd try out. The SES light is the only one on right now (since the ABS, DTC, 4x4 lights only come on while driving). The only error that comes up in the report is P1775:
CAN Wheel Speed Rear Wheel Right No Signal.

It suggests the ABS Control module (expensive repair) or possibly the ABS wheel speed sensor.

Can the steering angle sensor give these issues? Or would a dead ABS wheel speed sensor cause all the lights to come on?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

A bad wheel sensor would cause all the lights. As these are cheap and easy to replace -- I'd replace the wheel sensor first. Note that you also should clean up the reluctor ring, as rusts on it can damage the sensor or make it malfunction.

I had similar symptoms and replacing the bad sensor fixed it
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
A bad wheel sensor would cause all the lights. As these are cheap and easy to replace -- I'd replace the wheel sensor first. Note that you also should clean up the reluctor ring, as rusts on it can damage the sensor or make it malfunction.

IthacaMD - as andy_06xi noted, start with a speed sensor sensor. You can get ATE (OE supplier for this part) - it is super cheap and identical to one installed at the factory. It should take you 30min to replace the sensor, out of which 15 min is removing and putting back on rear right wheel

The speed sensor triggers all above lights as its data used for ABS, traction control (e.g. your 4x4 light)

Once sensor is replaced, lights will go off.

I had exact same experience last year on my E91.
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

3rd on the wheel speed sensor. It's a super easy DIY.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post

andy_06xi, Thanks! Never even heard of a reluctor ring until now, so I'll check that out too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
IthacaMD - as andy_06xi noted, start with a speed sensor sensor. You can get ATE (OE supplier for this part) - it is super cheap and identical to one installed at the factory. It should take you 30min to replace the sensor, out of which 15 min is removing and putting back on rear right wheel

The speed sensor triggers all above lights as its data used for ABS, traction control (e.g. your 4x4 light)

Once sensor is replaced, lights will go off.

I had exact same experience last year on my E91.
I had been thinking I'd need to remove the brakes to do this, but after checking out a couple videos, it looks much easier than that. I doubt I can get the part locally, but I can probably live a few days while it's getting shipped. Thanks for the advice!
I'll post when I get the part installed. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:00 AM   #12
plmbst
Rep
Drives: 2009 x drive touring

So how did you make out?
Did a replacement speed sensor solve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #13
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbst View Post
So how did you make out?
Did a replacement speed sensor solve the issue?
Sorry for the delay. For some reason, I don't get an email notification when there's a question.
As it happens, a) my lights all stopped coming on and b) I hit a deer somebody had just whacked into my lane, so I was distracted with that.
Also, it's been super cold here (upstate NY) so I haven't gotten around to installing it, but I do have the part and plan to do it...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
CRAJ2011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

2011 BMW 328i ABS, speedometer, and brake light going crazy

https://youtube.com/shorts/zS0Di09pUec?feature=share

Hey guy,

I have a 2011 328i and was driving and experienced this issue the other day. Any idea on what the problem is?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAJ2011 View Post

Hey guy,

I have a 2011 328i and was driving and experienced this issue the other day. Any idea on what the problem is?

I'd run the diagnostic to see what it says. I never ended up replacing my speed sensor because a) the lights all stopped going on b) it was really cold so I was waiting for spring and now c) I'm getting a new car in the next couple months anyway. Sorry I can't really help here, but I'd try the speed sensor if you get a similar report as I had. Actually if you decide to do it, I could sell you a brand new one at a nice discount. I was stupid and it just sat in the box. Might be the same model since we're only 2 yrs apart.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #16
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Some people on the forum were able to replace their xdrive oil pan gasket without removing the axles and differential components. Overall, job looks pretty sketchy, but with a helper maybe you can give it ago.

You can remove the front driveshaft to make the whole piece slightly lighter.

Also, confirm if the oil pan gasket is covered under sulev warranty. I've seen mixed results for people when I was briefly entertaining a SULEV e90.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451912
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
IthacaMD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Some people on the forum were able to replace their xdrive oil pan gasket without removing the axles and differential components. Overall, job looks pretty sketchy, but with a helper maybe you can give it ago.

You can remove the front driveshaft to make the whole piece slightly lighter.

Also, confirm if the oil pan gasket is covered under sulev warranty. I've seen mixed results for people when I was briefly entertaining a SULEV e90.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451912
Yeah I've had three separate mechanics say it's definitely not worth the cost of the job since most of the parts are rusted and need to be cut off. And I'm just not that handy under the car to try to do it myself. New iX coming in a couple months so it won't be my problem anymore.

It did get looked at by my dealership but they said it wasn't covered the SULEV warranty, unfortunately. The valve cover gasket was covered last year, and I think that did get me an extra year with this girl...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #18
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

What "parts" were rusted other than the axle nuts? Asking because I might have to do an oil pan job myself in the future. I couldn't imagine there being that kind of rust on the various suspension pieces. Most of the secondary bolts and nuts (i.e. the skid plate bolts/oil pan bolts) are all aluminum.

1. Control arms/tie rod nuts?
2. Subframe bolts?
3. Engine mount bolts/nuts?
4. Drive shaft bolts?

That's pretty much it for an oil pan job. Sounds like the shop didn't want to deal with the axle nuts. I've watched some people doing jobs on heavily rusted nuts and grinding out the nuts destroys the steering knuckle and CV axle.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 12:27 PM   #19
ysudhakar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthacaMD View Post
Sorry for the delay. For some reason, I don't get an email notification when there's a question.
As it happens, a) my lights all stopped coming on and b) I hit a deer somebody had just whacked into my lane, so I was distracted with that.
Also, it's been super cold here (upstate NY) so I haven't gotten around to installing it, but I do have the part and plan to do it...

I have same problem, what parts need to buy and where?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #20
Obamanator9000
Jackson
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Pre-LCI n52k

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Same Lights, DTC codes changing though?

2007 328xi Pre-LCI
I recently bought a 328xi off an auction, and when it arrived, it had these three lights with warnings: AWD, ABS, 4x4, Emerg EBV on the iDrive.
I used a scan tool on one day, and got these codes:
CF19 - No messages from DSC
CF1D - No messages from DSC
581D - Signal fault, wheel centrifugal velocity rear right from DSC
581C - Signal fault, wheel centrifugal velocity rear left from DSC

But, I scanned again, on a different day and got only these two codes again.
CF19
CF1D

Car drives great, just some squeaking when I turn on cold mornings (I'm guessing front strut mounts)
Kinda lost, and don't know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Appreciate 0