E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Red Turbo boost pipe

01-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I would say that the garage that you entrusted to change the seals the first time round never did then? Unless of course the seal you purchased was before the new style were released.
There also looks to be more locating tabs on the bottom of the new hose, although it still locates in the same place as the old one would. Maybe it's just the photo.
My old top seal was a creamy colour rather than dark green as yours was.
Glad you got it sorted though fella. My car actually felt more responsive from standing and at a low rpm.
Or was it all in my head?? I hope not!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

That garage never changed them in the first place, I would go as far to say they never removed the pipe on both occasions - I am so furious with the garage. I cannot prove it due to the time, but the seals that came off on the old pipe are not the ones I supplied them with. I have the reciept from BMW to prove the seals I bought. btw I have held off naming and shaming but avoid the garage in bilston which has simliar trading name as Bavirian Motor Works (just replace the first word out of them with the town) avoid them if you dont want them to use the parts you have supplied.

Yes i too noticed there where more tabs on the new pipe but it still fitted fine.

Anyway I think the top seal may be green or cream like yours (will have a closer look when I clean the old pipe up) but they dont look like the new rubber seal. I have noticed from the lower rev range slightly better pull but again it may just be in my head, but will see how it goes this week.

I have now got to replace the lower seal on the other side of the intercooler as it was very oily. I think rather than replace the pipe just use a new seal and lots of gasket sealent as the fittiing is not very good.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

I done a quick inspection of the other side and all seemed ok. There was also oil on the undertray on that side. So fingers crossed for me. I hope the other side goes well for you
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I took the metal retaining clip as its held same on the red pipe but I couldnt pull the pipe out fully as the top end had to come out so will leave for another day. But I did see even with the clip in place there was 1/2mm gap and I could push the pipe in with my hand but would spring back out. I personally think these are bad connections (unless seals under pressure) and a simple jubilee clip would provide a better fit.

So my plan of attack is to remove the pipe, fit new seal and apply a load of high temp gasket sealent around.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_255217#tab1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Just to update this thread further, driving to work this morning I did feel the car moving up through the gears a lot smoother and at lower revs. Whereas before the car would change just above 2k revs and sometimes be quite jerky/jolt. I dont know if this is just psychological but the car does feel a lot smoother to drive (I havent changed my driving style/fuel etc)

The mpg I cant say as I have not driven enough miles to note the difference. I have decided to replace the air filter earlier on as the old one was black.

Took it for a quick spin and it just feels a different car to drive, whereas before I would plant my foot and therewould be a slight hesitant and its no longer there. Overall I am a happy chappy.

Just need to sort out the slight leak on the other pipe and have a quick check over the vac hoses
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #28
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just had a look at my pipe and it appears to still be leaking!!!!! Not happy!
Gonna take it off again and have another look. Before i order the new pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #29
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

if you do order a new pipe and if there is a sytner dealer near you order it through Anneka off here as you will get a discount.

Ive been checking for the past few days and touch wood no leak - I think a part of it leaking is due to the design of the pipe as well
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #30
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gonna remove it compare to your pictures. As there was no obvious way to tell what way the seal went in.
So am gonna remove it and check seal against your pictures.
I have pm'ed anneka
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I may have some further close up's of the new pipe/seals at home, let me know if you need them?

Last edited by mistryn; 02-02-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
daveleach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes if you could post a close up of the seal fitment that would be appreciated. Gonna try and look at it in the morning! Looking forward to laying in the snow!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I thought I took some more pics but unfortunatly I didnt, the only ones I have are on page 1. I hope you get it sorted but I think it will result in a new pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #34
Stringbag
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Just to update this thread further, driving to work this morning I did feel the car moving up through the gears a lot smoother and at lower revs. Whereas before the car would change just above 2k revs and sometimes be quite jerky/jolt. I dont know if this is just psychological but the car does feel a lot smoother to drive (I havent changed my driving style/fuel etc)

The mpg I cant say as I have not driven enough miles to note the difference. I have decided to replace the air filter earlier on as the old one was black.

Took it for a quick spin and it just feels a different car to drive, whereas before I would plant my foot and therewould be a slight hesitant and its no longer there. Overall I am a happy chappy.
Had my red charge pipe replaced this week and I have to say I agree. noticeably Smoother. Also increased my mpg from 38 to 42 (actually saw 44 at one point but back to 42 by the time I had parked). Very happy.
It was totally covered in oil though so might be an extreme case...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Is there an up to date part number and price for this assembly ?

I'm out of warranty and due to the issues I have http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695977 am going to get this done myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #36
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

If you go onto realoem it should give you the updated part number as the old one has been superceded - I got my part number off there and the pipe design was different as seen in my earlier post
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #37
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Thanks to your advice I managed to change mine today, wasnt to bad as I thought it be. I was more worried about breaking the clip but like you say the first time I took it off it was a (insert rude word)

Got the under tray off and it looked pretty bad with oil under neath the pipe which had dripped onto the under tray.

I took a couple of pics side by side, the upper seal on the turbo has definatly been amended as the old one is dark green in colour and the new seal is black. The bottom seal looks still the same. I used a couple of drops of fairt liquid on the seals to help them ease on, I dont think there will be too much of an issue of using fairy liquid

Now I need to replace the seals on the other boost pipe on the opppiste side of the intercooler as thats leaking slightly but I dont think it should be too much of an issue

As you can see from the first picture they have changed the pipe design, as my car is an 2008 (old pipe stamped made 2007) the metal rings dont go all the way around. The new pipe stamped made 2011 shows metal rings going all the way around. I would presume they have changed the diameter of the pipe perhaps by a few mm to overcome this issue

I didnt manage to take any measurements as I was working in 1 degree temp outside and wanted to crack on

Looking at mine last night, I could just about make out 4 rings around the pipe so will have to assume mine is the NEW pipe. It's a May 2010 car, so just turned 2 years old this month. Either it was fitted at the factory or it was changed by the previous owner. I did see 1 very small dot of oil on the undertray but the pipe looks really clean. Is it the top or the bottom seal that usually goes first ?
      05-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #38
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I think in my case was the top seal, the bottom seal was ok but have known both to go at the same time
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #39
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I had another, closer look last night and I definately have the newer pipe fitted on my car already.
      10-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #40
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but is this issue also applicable to the 330d? I have a pre-LCI E92 (M57N2) and have exactly what is pictured here with the oily red boost pipe.

Funnily enough, from the schematic diagrams I've seen of my engine (see below), I should have a totally different boost pipe, but it's definitely the red sucker with the steel spiral.

I'm hoping this may be contributing to my main issue, which is a diesel-smelling smoke on idle - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889610

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #41
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

I am not to sure if the pipe is the same as the 30d and 35d, pm me your vin code and I will have a look tonight ( Ipresumed it would be slightly different)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #42
Exxie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

Thanks mis, will do.

It's not exactly the same as yours since my turbo configuration is different, but the red bit connects to the intercooler and a long steel section bolts onto the turbo. You can see a bit of this steel pipe in the photo I posted in the other thread quoted above.

Either way, it's nothing like the diagram. Scratch scratch...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #43
Batts335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

nice right up I will be trying this at the weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #44
BMW_Erwan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330D or 335D

Hi,

By reading this post, I tried to change my red boost hose. I have the same problem, I found oil on this hose.
Today, I succeeded in disassemble the bottom of the pipe but I had lot of trouble with the top.

Can you tell me how to remove the clip? In the attach file, in what direction does it push the plastic clip?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Erwan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0