E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Disappointing 13 Flat 1/4 Mile

06-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Disappointing 13 Flat 1/4 Mile

Hi all,

I just went to the track last Friday and the outcome was pretty bad. I am currently running Cobb stage 2+ (aggressive, ST) and the lowest time I got was 13.0**, basically 13 flat around 107 - 109 mph with a 0-60' around 2.0 - 2.1. I have searched and seen people getting around low to mid 12's. See links below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13589183

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617776

I tried many different lunching ways such as with DS shifting and manual shifting (I have the 6AT), once with DSC and DTC on and once with it off. The quickest 0 - 60' was 2.0* and I have seen 1.8. I know that it can be because of the tires as well. Summer performance tires would help a lot. I am currently on my stock RFT and they are almost bald. Can that be a major factor in my 60' time?

Can some help me with launching? I have read to turn off both DSC and DTC and saw that I should launch in 2nd or let DS mode shift for me abet I don't hit the "kick back." Any tips would help. I will include time slips later and maybe you guys can better help me if you guys saw the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

what tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
solow
Just to sweet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

hehe i had same problem i couldnt break 13 s for the life ofme everyone is stelling me its due to runflats but hard to belive it can effect it that much
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

This is what I got from your post:

1.) You had a below average 60' time- You said you're on bald tires that even in good shape perform poorly at the track. Plus, I assume you don't have a limited slip.

2.) It's mid June at this point. You're in Houston where the DA is about as good as anywhere, but this time of the year is horrible for the track. I just checked and the DA (Density Altitude) seems to be around the ~2500ft mark at this time of year. On a perfect night in Houston, I've heard of negative DAs.

3.) Were you hotlapping the car? Did you do any logs to see what kind of IATs you are seeing? Are you dead hooking or are you getting a bunch of wheel spin? Either way are you brake stalling the car and building any boost off the line?

.1 of a second off your 60' generally equals to .2 seconds off your E.T. Get that 60' down to a 1.80 and you're looking at mid 12s. Run your car when the temperature gets back below 70* and you'll probably see low 12s.

Hot air, crappy tires, and an open differential spell a disappointment for just about an forced induction car. Run a 35 shot of nitrous if you want to forget about weather issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am running the stock runflats. Here are my time slips. I'm 146.

Last edited by StealthFish; 06-12-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
This is what I got from your post:

1.) You had a below average 60' time- You said you're on bald tires that even in good shape perform poorly at the track. Plus, I assume you don't have a limited slip.
I do not have limited slip.

Quote:
2.) It's mid June at this point. You're in Houston where the DA is about as good as anywhere, but this time of the year is horrible for the track. I just checked and the DA (Density Altitude) seems to be around the ~2500ft mark at this time of year. On a perfect night in Houston, I've heard of negative DAs.
Quote:
3.) Were you hotlapping the car? Did you do any logs to see what kind of IATs you are seeing? Are you dead hooking or are you getting a bunch of wheel spin? Either way are you brake stalling the car and building any boost off the line?
I have videos that I will post as well. Maybe you can tell me.

Quote:
.1 of a second off your 60' generally equals to .2 seconds off your E.T. Get that 60' down to a 1.80 and you're looking at mid 12s. Run your car when the temperature gets back below 70* and you'll probably see low 12s.
I think with better tires, I'm able to make it there.

Quote:
Hot air, crappy tires, and an open differential spell a disappointment for just about an forced induction car. Run a 35 shot of nitrous if you want to forget about weather issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m54 View Post
hehe i had same problem i couldnt break 13 s for the life ofme everyone is stelling me its due to runflats but hard to belive it can effect it that much
You couldn't hit even 13s? What mods are you running?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m54 View Post
Traction is so underrated. I'm not sure why people think it's so hard to believe. Roughly 40% of your E.T. is spent in the first 330 feet of the track.

Look at Formula 1 racing, Nascar, Drag cars, or any high performance racing. What is one of the biggest things they're changing? Tires

It's not unheard of for a Formula 1 team to spend half a million dollars on tires over the course of a season. Think about that.

I'm not a run flat guru so take this for what it's worth, but tire pressure can also have a big effect on hooking with normal tires. On my old truck I ran Mickey Thompson Et Streets and even a 2psi difference was enough to lower my 60’ .1-.15 of a second.

Drag Racing is an art. It really is. You can’t expect to take your car to the track and have it run consistent times every day. In fact, people spend tons of money trying to do that and still fail (Bracket racing).

If you want to take drag racing seriously, I’d invest in a set of drag radials and buy a couple extra rims to put them on. I’ll be doing that very thing here soon. The Nitto 555r tires are a good in between point between a normal street tire and a drag radial. There are people cutting 1.6x 60’ times with those tires (in f-body camaros mostly), yet you can still get about 10k miles out of them. If you wanted a track only setup, I’d go with some Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials. Those are by far my favorite track tires, and they’re still street legal.

On another note: I’m not sure why there is such a huge fear of running a wider tire on a factory rim on here. It’s common place for people to run a 285 width tire on an 8” wide rim on the LSx based camaros. Heck, I ran a 305/50/20 tire on my truck for quite some time and had no issues. It may not be optimal for handling, but you’re certainly not going to hurt anything for a track only setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, deleted links.

Last edited by StealthFish; 06-12-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Acekid187
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E90 335i

Id be happy wirh a 13.0. Running a 13.4 at 106 right. My mods are JB+ at 80% and afternarket 19s with handkooks
Appreciate 0