E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Driving on bad o2 sensors?

11-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
mirracobmx40
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Driving on bad o2 sensors?

Im throwing o2 codes pretty much every time I turn the car on, multiple times per day. My afrs were frozen during tuning so we replaced two with a set from another project and that seemed to fix it so we could tune. I have been clearing the codes and driving as normal and haven't seen or noticed any issues. Someone told me bad o2s can damage cats and cause bad fuel economy but I have catless dps and straight pipe exhaust and could care less about fuel economy.

So is it really necessary to replace bad cats? Or are these codes being thrown due to the catless downpipes? Codes attached.
Attached Images

'08 e92 335i | 19t 25psi e54, ARM 1k fmic, 2 inch inlets/outlets, Catless Downpipes, Titanium Charge Pipe, Dual Cone Intakes, BMP stage 2 bucketless lpfp | dual? oil coolers | index 12 | TiAL Sport Blow Off Valve | 7 gal Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection w/ aem controller | BBS CH-R | 600whp | MHD | xHP
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
It can do so much worse than that. You could end up running too lean under boost, not good. Too rich and you risk diluting your oil, though i'd imagine that would take awhile.

Your codes indicate a damaged O2 heater which is common on install. Should just need a new O2. Did you buy them from FCP? If so just order a new set and get your money back.

Catless downpipe codes should be labeled as shadow codes and are codes: 29F4 & 29F5.

You may also find this useful: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623575
      11-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirracobmx40 View Post
Im throwing o2 codes pretty much every time I turn the car on, multiple times per day. My afrs were frozen during tuning so we replaced two with a set from another project and that seemed to fix it so we could tune. I have been clearing the codes and driving as normal and haven't seen or noticed any issues. Someone told me bad o2s can damage cats and cause bad fuel economy but I have catless dps and straight pipe exhaust and could care less about fuel economy.

So is it really necessary to replace bad cats? Or are these codes being thrown due to the catless downpipes? Codes attached.
Like Dave92N54 says, the code reports a bank 2, pre-cat O2 sensor heater failure. The heater is there to get the sensor up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. The sensor will eventually be warmed sufficiently by the exhaust so in theory, you don't need to address this as long as you avoid WOT until the sensors are fully operational. However, addressing the problem is the prudent course of action. And of course, is necessary to pass inspection in most if not all states

The shadow codes are caused by the absence of the catalytic converters - but you don't need to worry about those - they are only shadow codes.

Since you've already replaced the sensors once, my guess is that you don't have a problem with the sensor itself - you have a fuse, connector, ground or wiring problem.

Last edited by dpaul; 11-15-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00