E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help with angel eye install

12-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335i RWD 6MT ST E85

Help with angel eye install

Hey! Bought these 3/4 DTM Angel Eyes from Ebay and wondering if anyone could help me with pictures showing how to install them. I have no stress getting my lights done as the car is not being driven until april again.

These are not the exact lights but the wiring is the same, which is the only important part. Also what would need to be coded? Is it possible getting a "plug and play adapter" so I can avoid splicing my cable?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

If it's the ones that have the angel eye as the signal you'd have to tap into wiring for the signal to the indicator?

If not then when I done mine I ordered these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222871440956 so you can connect the wires to them (heatshrink/solder) then plug it straight into the existing wiring, this is for the h8 which the e92 uses.

When I done mine mine didn't come with the correct stuff as you can see from pictures was just wires, so was pulsing and I ended up connecting the wires to the live and ground then a signal wire to he fuse box. Not sure about what coding you'd need if any
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibby1996 View Post
If it's the ones that have the angel eye as the signal you'd have to tap into wiring for the signal to the indicator?

If not then when I done mine I ordered these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222871440956 so you can connect the wires to them (heatshrink/solder) then plug it straight into the existing wiring, this is for the h8 which the e92 uses.

When I done mine mine didn't come with the correct stuff as you can see from pictures was just wires, so was pulsing and I ended up connecting the wires to the live and ground then a signal wire to he fuse box. Not sure about what coding you'd need if any
Thanks a lot. Didnt see this until now and earlier today I just sent it. Cut up my H8 (which is still on my E91 lci non ahl) and just went red to red and black to black. Maybe I will skip the turn signal one since I don't know what to tap into. To my LED blinkers there is 3 black cables going in, I suspect 1 is ground and 2 are power, problem is I think one of them is constant power for the 3 little corner lights.

I will defo buy this connector though and do that to my other light. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Another question, did you cut your shroud for the xenon and glue it to that shroud or did you use another method? I tried setting my aftwrmarket angel eye to the "leg" of the old one but it was wobbly.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah I see yes I'm not sure on the indicator wiring, and yes I had to cut my shroud at the bottom in a D shape for the flat bottom part to sit into and make sure it then all sits flush around the shroud and used an epoxy to set it to it, this video helped me a bit when I was doing mine
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see yes I'm not sure on the indicator wiring, and yes I had to cut my shroud at the bottom in a D shape for the flat bottom part to sit into and make sure it then all sits flush around the shroud and used an epoxy to set it to it, this video helped me a bit when I was doing mine
Yeah watched like every video out there times 10 lol.
I've cut on the shroud so it should be fine, seated pretty nicely. Was just worried that it would brake or go loose when xenon bulb adapts, at least that was what someone was saying in the youtube comment section lmao.

Might just skip the switchback/blinkers light, kind of a pain in the ass, I think I am gonna need to tap into the blinkers with some kind of T connector.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #7
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Today I tried the headlights, only one angel eye since the outer ones cable broke off but still, just wanted to check functionality and see that I get no fault codes. Success!
No fault codes, angel eye is working properly since I tapped into the wires correctly.

When I have done the other light and mounted both of them should I will use bavgruppe's guide regarding changing the voltage and coding some changes? When I have the light switch att off/0 it lights up well, when I set it to right so what I think is only angel eyes, it's bright, when I go to low beam or auto it will lower the output of the LED. Is it fine?

Last edited by Swedish Salmon; 01-05-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:13 AM   #8
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Salmon View Post
Today I tried the headlights, only one angel eye since the outer ones cable broke off but still, just wanted to check functionality and see that I get no fault codes. Success!
No fault codes, angel eye is working properly since I tapped into the wires correctly.

When I have done the other light and mounted both of them should I will use bavgruppe's guide regarding changing the voltage and coding some changes? When I have the light switch att off/0 it lights up well, when I set it to right so what I think is only angel eyes, it's bright, when I go to low beam or auto it will lower the output of the LED. Is it fine?
Yes that's fine unless your happy with the brightness of them as they are? And I'm pretty sure it's normal for the angel eyes to dim when the low beam is turned on does it on my stock headlight f32
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #9
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For comparison too, in this photo the left rings are connected straight to battery and the right side were connected to the original angel eye plug
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For comparison too, in this photo the left rings are connected straight to battery and the right side were connected to the original angel eye plug
Mine are almost as bright as the left one LOL. I tapped it into the wires, so not the battery.
Problem right now is that the outer angel eye, it's connector broke off from the LED strip meaning I can't use it, have to wait for the ebay vendor to send me a new one. Also they sent me 2 thick and 2 thin angel eyes cause they thought E91 has same lights as E92... When they are the same as E90.

Here's some pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Salmon View Post
Quote:
Mine are almost as bright as the left one LOL. I tapped it into the wires, so not the battery.
Problem right now is that the outer angel eye, it's connector broke off from the LED strip meaning I can't use it, have to wait for the ebay vendor to send me a new one. Also they sent me 2 thick and 2 thin angel eyes cause they thought E91 has same lights as E92... When they are the same as E90.

Here's some pictures.
Looking good mate, make sure they are definetly straight before setting as it'll look tacky and drive you mad if ones even slightly wonky😂 could you not solder it back on to save waiting again?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:15 PM   #12
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Looking good mate, make sure they are definetly straight before setting as it'll look tacky and drive you mad if ones even slightly wonky😂 could you not solder it back on to save waiting again?
Nah, he also sent me the 2 outer ones as thin ones... Had me paying 20$ extra for 2 new thicker outer rings... Yeah inner was a bit crooked so took it off, paint also fell off lol... Oh well, hopefully you can't see it when the angel eye is on. I will put the headlights on the car, then line it up, tape the spots and then glue the angel eyes on.
Appreciate 0