E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > No Front Fogs output from FRM

07-31-2022, 06:21 AM   #1
JumpMaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: G12

No Front Fogs output from FRM

Hi guys. Hope you all doing fine.

I have E90 with no power output to front fog lights, from FRM (checked straight at FRM pins).
When the fog button is pressed FRM reads it correctly and sends data to the cluster, so the instrument cluster illuminates that little green led. Like if they were ON. Only front fogs not ON.
Pulled FRM out, turned out it is already a second-hand unit. Everything else FRM-related works fine.
I had another FRM (used one) that has been laying around for ages, so I decided to try using it.
First time using VVDI Prog... anyways, thanks to YouTube I somehow had Read and Written everything from one FRM to another (flash, eee, pflash, pof), basically cloned it (maybe I shouldn't have done it. eh, tew late.
Now, I have two FRMs for that car, and they behave exactly identical, - all works but front fogs. That got me into thinking I need to code fogs or, enable them somehow.

Day two:

Today I tried to disconnect the connector from the fog light to see if FRM will set a fault code (open circuit), and it surely did (and an out fog bulb warning on the dash)! So FRM monitors that circuit but for some reason does not activate front fogs.
Then I checked all the coding setup (using NCS Dummy) and all the coding looks right. I even compared it with another good e90 - all coded parameters in FRM (related to front fogs) look the same as in my car.
Any Ideas? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 03:54 AM   #2
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Try coding it back to factory settings in NCS Expert. Use expert mode profile, read your FA from the CAS (in case the one in your FRM is incorrect), then SG code to the FRM.

To be honest I don't think I've ever switched on my fog lights so I couldn't tell you whether they work!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
JumpMaster
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorg4 View Post
Try coding it back to factory settings in NCS Expert. Use expert mode profile, read your FA from the CAS (in case the one in your FRM is incorrect), then SG code to the FRM.

To be honest I don't think I've ever switched on my fog lights so I couldn't tell you whether they work!
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow and report back. Just did some digging and reading on that topic too.
Is there an instruction on how to properly read FA from the CAS? e.g. step by step instruction or PDF?
after reading VO from CAS, should I write it (VO with added $520 code) into FRM and CAS, or FRM only?

Last edited by JumpMaster; 08-07-2022 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpMaster View Post
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow and report back. Just did some digging and reading on that topic too.
Is there an instruction on how to properly read FA from the CAS? e.g. step by step instruction or PDF?
after reading VO from CAS, should I write it (VO with added $520 code) into FRM and CAS, or FRM only?
I write VO to both
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 05:40 AM   #5
JumpMaster
Registered
Rep

Today I tried to add $520 to CAS and FRM, and still no luck. Please take a look at the video (above). Maybe you'll spot me doing something wrong.
Is there a way to see (read and interpret) VO so I can make sure that $520 option is there?
I also tried to code it (SG_Coderen) and all interior illumination flashes during the coding and seems like it accepts it, but still the same, - no front fogs, even though that green indicator turns ON on the dash.
Car has FRM3 but NCS says (when selecting ECU) "FRM2_C89.C08", you can see it on the vid. Is that normal?
Should I code it after FA_WRITE? Do I have to use the same NCS profile? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #6
sam9116
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

you can also try activating the foglight directly from INPA, fog light should power on regardless if you coded the FRM/CAS modules
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #7
JumpMaster
Registered
Rep

Hi all, just to let you know, despite all my best attempts I could not do anything with that FRM. So I gave up and fitted the new one. Now it's all good. Thanks for your support and advice. Cheers
Appreciate 0