E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A puzzle for diagnosticians

09-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
JCMcDougall
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 E91  [0.00]
A puzzle for diagnosticians

About a year ago I acquired a 2007 E91 with 112,000 miles on it. replaced plugs and coils and since it was coding for transfer case oil, the shop I am using for it (german -BMW,Mercedes and hi end sports cars - ferrari, lambo Mclarin, etc) did the transfer case oil change. Since then, I have put about 9k miles on it.
In late July, I noticed was seemed to be an occasional stutter when driving but felt just like rough road. Since then, I have been able to clearly feel a definite stutter after driving for a few miles. Only appears once there has been several miles of driving. Today when my significant other, brought the car to the shop (she works next door), after an hour commute once she was back on city roads, at 40 mph in top gear and 2000 rpm, it felt like the rear end was going to come apart. If you ease off the rpm slightly and then bring it back, the shaking(stutter) goes away. Upping the rpm reduces the issues and when in top gear at 2000 rpm is the worst. At 60 to 80 mph it does not seem to happen. The shop went through driveline from end to end and every part looked absolutely OK. Two of their techs went through it separately and cannot find a cause.
There are no error codes anywhere in the system either.

What is going on? The shop is nonplussed.

The only thing the shop can come up with next is to drain the transfer case and see if there are any metal bits in the oil to indicate that the transfer case is the problem. (Not cheap to have this done). Note that it was changed by them last year (9k miles ago) and there was no indication of a problem in the oil removed.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
JCMcDougall
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 E91  [0.00]
I am wondering if the transfer case was not properly filled, or they put the wrong oil in the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:59 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You are only suppose to use the BMW transfer case oil for the Transfer Case.
Also there is a BMW calibration procedure for the Transfer Case that is suppose
to be done after the Transfer Case fluid change.
If the problem is coming from the rear how are you sure it's the transfer box?
There is an xdrive subforum here.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-10-2023 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0