E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 No start issue. Troubleshooting

09-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #1
fox1486
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i XDrive

N55 No start issue. Troubleshooting

I've been doing some reading up on my issue, and it seems that alot of people have experienced something similar. Let me run through my diagnosing so far, and see if anyone can add some input.

- Car had an instance of starting hard two days ago. Drove for about 15 mins, parked it, then it wouldn't crank. Attempted to start twice, no crank. Third attempt, it fires right up and runs like a top. Threw a ohm meter on battery while car was shut off: 12.7V. While running: 13.8V

- Yesterday car started 3 times during the morning with no issues. Drove 15 mins, stopped to get gas, slow crank but no start. Several other attempts lead to no cranking at all. Hearing just one "click" under the hood while attempting to start. Tried jumping but didn't crank. Car towed to my garage.

- Troubleshooted a few things other things before going for starter. Battery still at around 12.7 while car was off. Tried jumping with jump pack, then with battery. Nothing changed.

- Tore car down to remove starter. Bench tested starter, and wouldn't spin first few times I touched positive lead. On third try, starter spun like a top.

- Threw ohm meter on positive cable from passenger side, across motor that feeds the starter/alternator. Doesn't seem to be broken cable as others have eluded to. And since there is also continuity from battery to that post, would assume the long cable running to trunk is still good.

- Next steps: Tomorrow I want to throw the starter back on the car, and try to jump it through it's positive feed cable. I believe the starter may have been at a "flat spot" and that's why it wouldn't crank. Also thinking about reconnecting battery and trying ignition to see if cranks, but not sure if that would harm anything with many sensors disconnected and intake manifold off.

Questions I have:
- Anything else I should try before buying a new starter and calling it a day?
- After reinstalling starter and jumping, should I attempt to reconnect the battery and try with the ignition or will I harm something?

I appreciate any info or opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
fox1486
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i XDrive

More info today

Starter reinstalled. Here’s the following tests:

- Jump box attached to starter and jumping the solenoid with alligator clips. Box grounded to engine block: starter cranks fine.✅

- Jump box attached still attached to starter and jumping solenoid. This time though, jumper box grounded to lower engine mount ground strap: starter cranks fine ✅

- Jump box attached to Positive + Feed cable to starter that comes across top of motor. Box grounded to engine block: starter cranks fine ✅

- Jump box attached to Positive + Feed cable to starter. Box grounded to random ground point on chassis (strut bar bolt, then strut bolt, then lower bolt by headlight that goes into chassis). : starter clicks and headlights flicker on/off ❌

Am I missing something? Is there a bad ground somewhere? Or is my ground a bad spot to try. I wouldn’t think the headlights would flicker as negative battery terminal is off battery. Unless I’m somehow powering the system through my ground?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 11:08 AM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

What does your ground strap look like? Common failure, especially if you’re in an area which salts roads.
Appreciate 0