E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N57 325d LCI CEL...

02-09-2021, 06:01 AM   #23
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo View Post
Think mine was stuck as well. The car wouldn't start until i tapped the EGR valve with a hammer. The car felt strange when accelerating prior to this so had a feeling something was up.

I'll do some research tonight about the adaptations, hopefully you are right.

Edit: I think ISTA software has guides for replacing parts? I downloaded it the other day so once i got it running i will check on there and let you know!
I think you are right, I don't have the ISTA software however but I do believe that is where I was hearing the adaptation reset stuff. My light has still not come back on which is the longest it's remained off since it decided to come back on a month after replacing the EGR. Not sure why? Could it have randomly sorted its own values out got itself happy?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #24
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
remember,if you get egr mapped out,make sure its done correctly so dpf still regens,,also it has to be physically closed if its stuck open then mapped out
Good point here, I was thinking of using BW chiptune for this as I believe they do it remotely from a place in Sunderland (I think it was Rasa who told me this on another thread...) and they seem to know what they are doing on both remaps and EGR deletes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:08 AM   #25
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Good point here, I was thinking of using BW chiptune for this as I believe they do it remotely from a place in Sunderland (I think it was Rasa who told me this on another thread...) and they seem to know what they are doing on both remaps and EGR deletes.
yep he sure does,,,or you can post him your ecu,,i know it aint on a dyno but next best thing as he is one of the only ones id ever use....https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threa.../#post-2821249
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 04:44 AM   #26
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
yep he sure does,,,or you can post him your ecu,,i know it aint on a dyno but next best thing as he is one of the only ones id ever use....https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threa.../#post-2821249
I didn't know posting was an option! Yeah I remember seeing that thread before or another similar. But it seems like a solid option. Tuned out without effecting the DPF.

I read the codes and reset the CEL again yesterday. The persisting codes are:

4A4F - glow control unit - I believe this is it's own problem and I need to buy and fit a new glow plug controller.

40D4 - EGR control position control
4501 - EGR control deviation
4B1C - Fuel filter heater, control - no idea what this is?!
40E9 - EGR position control

Driving me mad!! Car still running perfectly fine all codes and CEL aside
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 05:26 AM   #27
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
I didn't know posting was an option! Yeah I remember seeing that thread before or another similar. But it seems like a solid option. Tuned out without effecting the DPF.

I read the codes and reset the CEL again yesterday. The persisting codes are:

4A4F - glow control unit - I believe this is it's own problem and I need to buy and fit a new glow plug controller.

40D4 - EGR control position control
4501 - EGR control deviation
4B1C - Fuel filter heater, control - no idea what this is?!
40E9 - EGR position control

Driving me mad!! Car still running perfectly fine all codes and CEL aside
Yeh i've got exact same EGR codes hahaa. So annoying. I haven't yet been able to install ISTA and need a cable to connect the car to my laptop anyway.

Regarding fuel filter heater, sounds like you need a new fuel filter. I think the diesel fuel filters have a heater integrated which warms up the fuel. When diesel is cold it's very viscous due to paraffin crystals. So the heater helps it get through the filter and through the injection system. But of course worth clearing codes and seeing if that one pops up again
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #28
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeh i've got exact same EGR codes hahaa. So annoying. I haven't yet been able to install ISTA and need a cable to connect the car to my laptop anyway.

Regarding fuel filter heater, sounds like you need a new fuel filter. I think the diesel fuel filters have a heater integrated which warms up the fuel. When diesel is cold it's very viscous due to paraffin crystals. So the heater helps it get through the filter and through the injection system. But of course worth clearing codes and seeing if that one pops up again
Haha well we both have new EGR's and the same codes... that has to be a clue!

Ahh okay. I did reset them yesterday and then scanned when I drove home and they were the ones that had reappeared. There was 18 codes stored before I cleared them.

Sounds like a should tackle the glow plugs and fuel filter then there is only the EGR to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:43 AM   #29
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

clean egr,,then test to see if the valve moves,,,or get it closed and mapped out
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:16 AM   #30
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Have you checked to see if there are any open recalls for your car? I seem to remember there was one for the preheater.

Agree with sorting the glow plugs etc anyhow. You can have a poke about the egr while you're in there, and see if anything obvious is defective.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:48 AM   #31
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

The EGR is new < 2 months old. I am fairly certain it is fine as well as before I replaced it you could feel it sticking, slight stutter to no response from the accelerator were the symptoms. Everything runs perfectly now suggesting (to me atleast) that the EGR is working correctly. I am still of the mindset that the adaptations need resetting and haven't been:

https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...kANAAzADAANAA=

see bottom it says:

Service Notes
If the exhaust-gas recirculation valve has been replaced, the following service function must be carried out: Delete adaptations, air mass system.

That same service note exists on about 3 of my 4 EGR codes.

As for open recalls. There are none I have checked. Mine was in for the recall in 2018 for a fan heater or something? I don't remember now. All I know is BMW managed to stop my front windows auto up'ing or opening with a long press of the key since taking it in. Then refused to fix it without me paying up front on the promise of a refund should they find themselves at fault...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #32
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

If I were you, I'd get bimmergeeks protool. It's not cheap, but I bet it'll pay for itself if you keep the car for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #33
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So finally got round to sorting out ISTA D on my laptop. Took a bit of fiddling about but it seems to work. You were right, ISTA tells you that when changing the EGR valve you have to reset the adaptions.

I tried to reset mine but this is the message i get:

So i've not even been able to reset anything. I tried resetting all adaptations but I can't seem to find that function. If anyone has any ideas do let me know.

After deleting all fault codes, i switched engine on and got the EGR errors pretty much straight away.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 05:17 AM   #34
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Tried using inpa instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #35
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So finally got round to sorting out ISTA D on my laptop. Took a bit of fiddling about but it seems to work. You were right, ISTA tells you that when changing the EGR valve you have to reset the adaptions.

I tried to reset mine but this is the message i get:

So i've not even been able to reset anything. I tried resetting all adaptations but I can't seem to find that function. If anyone has any ideas do let me know.

After deleting all fault codes, i switched engine on and got the EGR errors pretty much straight away.
Interesting, I wonder why it won't allow it? Keep me in the loop it sounds like you may be on the way to a solution. I am still the same as you, EGR codes straight away even if they don't bring up the CEL they are still flagged up as soon as you clear and then restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #36
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Tried using inpa instead?
I'll have a go with that tonight, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #37
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D

I'm in the same situation with mine.

I had codes for a while then finally a CEL so I replaced the EGR. no CEL but still get the codes, two for position signal plus MAF (could be due to EGR , unmetered air possibly) and swirls(separate issue but could could cause MAF code I guess) I've done as above with Ista-d and still the same. I can post some pics of codes if anybody interested!

I also get the no adaption required as well

I'm out of ideas other than an outside chance that my inlet manifold is bunged up and it's causing all the codes.

P.S. I have noticed the commanded EGR reading is all over the place when using the Torque app. I can understand the how this causes the codes so that probably rules out my theory above.

There's a very online regarding this unless I'm looking in the wrong places!
Appreciate 0