E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW E91 N57 330D LCI Normal for bonnet and wiper blade to freeze after hour drive ?

01-25-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

BMW E91 N57 330D LCI Normal for bonnet and wiper blade to freeze after hour drive ?

Hi all,

New here and first winter with the E91 330D, i noticed the bonnet is still iced up and wiper blade was frozen again after 1 hour drive on the motoway ( outside temp -2/-1 which i am not sure is it normal as my normal journey with my previous car never seem to do this. Does these engine get hot at all, as i open the bonnet to check the engine it dont feel hot just warmish.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:11 AM   #2
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo123 View Post
Hi all,

New here and first winter with the E91 330D, i noticed the bonnet is still iced up and wiper blade was frozen again after 1 hour drive on the motoway ( outside temp -2/-1 which i am not sure is it normal as my normal journey with my previous car never seem to do this. Does these engine get hot at all, as i open the bonnet to check the engine it dont feel hot just warmish.

Thanks
Might be worth checking if your car is getting to operating temp. You can get to the "secret" menu and find the coolant temp option. It should be getting to around 90 degrees. See video below:

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo View Post
Might be worth checking if your car is getting to operating temp. You can get to the "secret" menu and find the coolant temp option. It should be getting to around 90 degrees. See video below:

thanks! will try get the menu up later. does these engine in general get hot though as it was strange my car was still frozen at the bonnet after an hour drive would of thought the engine would of given enough heat to heat the bonnet
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:15 AM   #4
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Which part of the engine are you touching?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:09 AM   #5
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Which part of the engine are you touching?

lift up the bonnet didnt feel much heat. the right side feels warm the left side ( air filter) cold on the engine cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
There is not a lot of waste heat from the diesel, driving at sub zero temperatures. Barely enough to keep at optimum temperature, (talking from experience), unless you are working the engine.

Worth checking the hidden menu, to ensure the engine is getting up to temperature. But don't simply make a judgement on a sub zero check, I'd be looking to see how it compares to say 5C, or higher. Both for how the temperature climbs and its running temperature.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #7
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There is not a lot of waste heat from the diesel, driving at sub zero temperatures. Barely enough to keep at optimum temperature, (talking from experience), unless you are working the engine.

Worth checking the hidden menu, to ensure the engine is getting up to temperature. But don't simply make a judgement on a sub zero check, I'd be looking to see how it compares to say 5C, or higher. Both for how the temperature climbs and its running temperature.
yeah, it was an steady 70mph drive on the motoway it was -2 outside i think but still never really had the bonnet still froze or even the wiper blades refreeze itself before until having the e91. yeah i need to figure out putting the hidden menu on and drive and see i guess never know there was one lol .

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

yeah, it was an steady 70mph drive on the motoway it was -2 outside i think but still never really had the bonnet still froze or even the wiper blades refreeze itself before until having the e91. yeah i need to figure out putting the hidden menu on and drive and see i guess never know there was one lol .

thanks
I have an N57 325d which is the same as yours basically. Mine never does this. The wipers work normally for me, never noticed snow leave the bonnet though.

As for the thermostat points. Worth checking anyway for DPF reasons but I'm sure that the thermostat reading low doesn't actually affect the temperature of your engine, therefore the ice issue, I'm sure it just reads low as the thermostat is broken but the engine is operating as normal "heat wise" just the ecu doesn't know? Correct me if I'm wrong however, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
I have an N57 325d which is the same as yours basically. Mine never does this. The wipers work normally for me, never noticed snow leave the bonnet though.

As for the thermostat points. Worth checking anyway for DPF reasons but I'm sure that the thermostat reading low doesn't actually affect the temperature of your engine, therefore the ice issue, I'm sure it just reads low as the thermostat is broken but the engine is operating as normal "heat wise" just the ecu doesn't know? Correct me if I'm wrong however, just a thought.

sorry for late reply, never got the chance to see the snow again so might have been a 1 off but was just a bit weird my bonnet was still frozen and when i lifted the bonnet there was barely any heat coming out might have just been over thinking it! still havnt got round to checking the thermosat lazy me lol
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

The bonnet on my M57 diesel often stays frozen on cold mornings on my 40 min commute to work. Dont forget there is a lot of sound deadening under the bonnet which also acts as insulation.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:39 AM   #11
Bamboo123
Private
Rep

Thanks for clearing things up
Appreciate 0