E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > n54 335i - new to tuning: custom tune or do it myself?

12-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

n54 335i - new to tuning: custom tune or do it myself?

Hi forum, this is my first post. I recently purchased my 2nd BMW 335i. My first BMW was a 2001 330ci, my last one was a 2011 335i coupe with all of the packages, including M Sport. I loved the couple but I wanted a convertible. I now own a 2008 335i convertible automatic, one owner, excellent condition, 92k miles.

This is a 2nd car, not my primary, driven on weekends for fun only. I am mechanical but these European engines are new to me. I grew up in the 70s and 80s working on small and big block chevy engines. We turned wrenches back then, no computers :-)

I want to add some HP and want smoother/quicker acceleration. I am not going to race the car. I just want to keep that big grin on my face every time I step on the gas pedal :-)

I've read a lot of forum posts on different ways to tune. From my readings I did some research on the Cobb Accessport. I contacted a local tuning shop to talk about this.

They recommended the following instead:

- Custom dyno tune calibration using MHD software - 93 octane
- cp-e cold-air intakes

They'd like to tune the engine to perform better on 93 octane fuel.

Their quote is $1029. The Cobb Accessport is $650 and looks straight forward to install.

When I asked the shop about Cobb versus MHD and them doing the tune versus me doing the tune they said:

"- Cobb and MHD both offer off the shelf (OTS) map packs
- OTS maps are very generic maps that are not optimized for your specific vehicle, how it responds to those tuning changes, and are not guaranteed for functionality

The comparison I made last for you was between a purchasing a Cobb device, flashing the OTS map yourself, and us getting an MHD custom dyno tune done using the bare minimum. Getting you all the pros of custom tuning (knowing its safe, knowing a pro is looking at the car and optimizing it for our barometric pressure zone, getting a dyno video, getting power results on paper, etc.). I did this to showcase for the same cost of you purchasing a Cobb device and going through the hassle of learning how to flash it yourself, as well as a bunch of features you’d likely never need, you could have the car custom dyno tuned using MHD. Having been the Cobb direction on my own car, listening to how you plan on using the car, and the financial investment range you’re interested in… MHD custom tune would be your best back for buck in a lot of ways.

Can you just purchase a super license and flash on an MHD map? Yes, but again you’d be purchasing a bunch of features and solutions you’d never use. You’d also have to buy an MHD Wifi adapter, and KDCan cable which would be overkill for your use.

My recommendation? Go MHD basic license for custom tuning (~$100 depending on currency exchange at the time) and let Vlad handle the custom dyno tune procedure for you. It costs the same as an OTS map, is better than an OTS map, you don’t waste features, and it takes the hassle out of your hands. And should you want more power, bolt-ons and a retune fee is all you need for a return visit. License fee taken care of, and you still don’t have to buy a cable, or software device."

I followed up asking them how much the retune charge is if I want to bring the car back in. They said $300 depending on the tune.

Should I go MHD custom, or go with Cobb and do it myself? Or another solution?

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I went with MHD on my previous car. I was able to use my existing android phone. I had to buy a $40 cable, and a few licenses on MHD. Before they redid the licensing structure, I bought $99 flasher, $69(i think?) monitor, and stage 2 map pack $49. All in, this was $270 if i did my math right. While I left power on the table, I was able to make 455whp/500wtq with the OTS e60 tune safely (note, I had bolt-ons installed). I ran the car like this for nearly two years. Note, owning the cable is incredibly valuable so you can read codes and monitor engine values if there's an issue and want to do any diagnostics yourself. If you want to go back to a shop or this tuner for any issue or misfire codes, then let them do it all.

For me, reading AFRs, boost levels, timing pulls, fuel rail pressure, etc. are very nice to help direct my attention to any problem areas. I found and fixed several issues using this.

Later on, I got custom email tunes from a two reputable tuners both in the $2-400 range until it was dialed in via street pulls and logging; you only need one, but the first one I worked with was slow to respond so I got a new tuner. This required additionally the MBoost license ($50? so I could run 18+ psi on my upgraded turbos). With the modern license structure on MHD, you get everything for $230 iirc. So all in with custom tuning, yes, I was probably close to a $1000 but this was done over the course of years and it was never dialed in on a dyno.

Also, I would put COBB out of your mind as it is quite out of date. MHD and JB4 are the primary tuning tools used on this platform and are both frequently updated.
      12-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Dont even bother with cobb it is old out of date tuning software that is no longer even supported.

Depending on your mods if there is any. Unless youre looking to squeeze every hp out of your car you will be fine with an OTS MHD tune. Thousands upon thousands of cars are running them and it is very safe. You can also datalog and monitor yourself to make sure it is running fine. Being able to tune and use your phone is incredibly convenient. The MHD tune is also very cost effective. Basically $200 for a solid tune with multiple maps and the ability to monitor your car.

If you still want a custom tune there are many tuners that will tune you remotely for much less money and they focus solely on these BMW engines. Unless that shop is offering a dyno tune and is willing to offer free revisions i would look into other options. Again though unless youre full bolt on or aftermarket turbo/s a custom tune isnt gonna be that much of a difference on a tune only car
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

I got the MHD Flasher/Monitor ($69 each IIRC) and a custom tune with a year's support/adjustments was $350. I do feel like I got a lot more value and peace of mind than an OTS map.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
chr1smorris
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N54

I agree, the monitoring software MHD offers is very useful. I would go down the route of a custom map from a reputable tuner however.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #6
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
Hi forum, this is my first post. I recently purchased my 2nd BMW 335i. My first BMW was a 2001 330ci, my last one was a 2011 335i coupe with all of the packages, including M Sport. I loved the couple but I wanted a convertible. I now own a 2008 335i convertible automatic, one owner, excellent condition, 92k miles.

This is a 2nd car, not my primary, driven on weekends for fun only. I am mechanical but these European engines are new to me. I grew up in the 70s and 80s working on small and big block chevy engines. We turned wrenches back then, no computers :-)

I want to add some HP and want smoother/quicker acceleration. I am not going to race the car. I just want to keep that big grin on my face every time I step on the gas pedal :-)

I've read a lot of forum posts on different ways to tune. From my readings I did some research on the Cobb Accessport. I contacted a local tuning shop to talk about this.

They recommended the following instead:

- Custom dyno tune calibration using MHD software - 93 octane
- cp-e cold-air intakes

They'd like to tune the engine to perform better on 93 octane fuel.

Their quote is $1029. The Cobb Accessport is $650 and looks straight forward to install.

When I asked the shop about Cobb versus MHD and them doing the tune versus me doing the tune they said:

"- Cobb and MHD both offer off the shelf (OTS) map packs
- OTS maps are very generic maps that are not optimized for your specific vehicle, how it responds to those tuning changes, and are not guaranteed for functionality

The comparison I made last for you was between a purchasing a Cobb device, flashing the OTS map yourself, and us getting an MHD custom dyno tune done using the bare minimum. Getting you all the pros of custom tuning (knowing its safe, knowing a pro is looking at the car and optimizing it for our barometric pressure zone, getting a dyno video, getting power results on paper, etc.). I did this to showcase for the same cost of you purchasing a Cobb device and going through the hassle of learning how to flash it yourself, as well as a bunch of features you’d likely never need, you could have the car custom dyno tuned using MHD. Having been the Cobb direction on my own car, listening to how you plan on using the car, and the financial investment range you’re interested in… MHD custom tune would be your best back for buck in a lot of ways.

Can you just purchase a super license and flash on an MHD map? Yes, but again you’d be purchasing a bunch of features and solutions you’d never use. You’d also have to buy an MHD Wifi adapter, and KDCan cable which would be overkill for your use.

My recommendation? Go MHD basic license for custom tuning (~$100 depending on currency exchange at the time) and let Vlad handle the custom dyno tune procedure for you. It costs the same as an OTS map, is better than an OTS map, you don’t waste features, and it takes the hassle out of your hands. And should you want more power, bolt-ons and a retune fee is all you need for a return visit. License fee taken care of, and you still don’t have to buy a cable, or software device."

I followed up asking them how much the retune charge is if I want to bring the car back in. They said $300 depending on the tune.

Should I go MHD custom, or go with Cobb and do it myself? Or another solution?

Thanks,

Greg
Buy the MHD super license pack ~ $308 ( OTS tune to the stage you want with supporting mods, on 93oct fuel.

Make sure you have done all maintenance fixed all leaks, upgrade the charge pipe to a metal one and do plugs and coils.

I wouldn't bother with getting a custom tune. Unless you plan on pushing over 18psi boost or have stage 2 turbos or Inlets etc

Stage 1+ with a FMIC upgrade is a good daily tune. Should get you about 390bhp at the crank and about 600nm torque.

Last edited by Saif2018; 12-11-2020 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Boosted12a
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x

Don't forget about a trans tune. Xhp makes things a lot more fun too. I'm running mhd stage 2 OTS with an upgraded ic, dci and the xhp flash. Car is a lot of fun and reliable. I've walked many s4 audis and tons of mustangs. If you are just going for fun save the $ and get the ots map.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Appreciate 0