E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ISO: Bushing Press Tool for Rear Suspension (LCAB & RTAB)

07-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

ISO: Bushing Press Tool for Rear Suspension (LCAB & RTAB)

Hello all,

Need a little help finding the right bushing press tool for my rear suspension overhaul. I'll be replacing the following:

Rear Lower Inner Control Arm Bushing - Replacing w/ Whiteline
Rear Outer Control Arm Bushing - Replacing w/ OEM
Rear Inner & Outer Trailing Arm Bushings - Replacing w/ Whiteline

Has anyone out there in E90 land successfully purchased and used the appropriate tool for this job? If so, I'd love some advice on which setup to buy. OR, if you have this tool set and would be open to renting it, please PM me.

I've tried some of the DIY solutions (sockets, washers, & threaded nuts) to no avail. I'd rather do this properly (and far more quickly) with the correct tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone?

I can’t be the only person that’s done this project....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PourBoi-Jay View Post
Anyone?

I can't be the only person that's done this project....
For the 4 Rear Subframe bushings & 1 large differential bushing rent this tool

https://hpashop.com/Bushing-Tool-Kit...g-tool-kit.htm

For the control arm bushings & 2 differential bushings use ;

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bav-auto...iABEgJ0cPD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

Thanks. I’ve already done the subframe bushings, and own a tool already. I’ll give the BavAuto tool a try for the trailing arm bushings, but the lower control arm bushing is a different size.

The bushing measurements are:

Trailing arm - ~44mm
Inner lower CA - ~ 49mm
Outer lower CA bushing - ~ 44mm

Have you successfully used this tool for the inner bushing?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

Thanks. I've already done the subframe bushings, and own a tool already. I'll give the BavAuto tool a try for the trailing arm bushings, but the lower control arm bushing is a different size.

The bushing measurements are:

Trailing arm - ~44mm
Inner lower CA - ~ 49mm
Outer lower CA bushing - ~ 44mm

Have you successfully used this tool for the inner bushing?
ECS tuning has a few tools. I used one that's similar to the Bav Auto one. I bought it on eBay from a guy in London.

The key is the material it's made of. SS is not really strong enough. Grade 8 is.

You can make your own with Black pipe, and grade 8 rod, washers & nuts
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

The ECS/BavAuto tool is not correct for the E90. Wish I’d done my own research before purchasing and taking the car apart. Shame on me
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quick update for the archives....

Since I’d already had the car partially disassembled, I was determined to make the BavAuto/ECS Tuning tool work for me. It doesn’t exactly fit the dimensions of the E90 (I wrote a note to ECS asking them to update the product details/fitmen5 guides to not include all 3-series), but does include some high quality items that worked well with other products I purchased from Home Depot and Autozone.

For the Inner and Outer Trailing Arm Bushings, I used a piece of 1.5” PVC for the receiving tube, and a Duralast 1-5/16 socket (has to be shaved/grinded down to fit through the bushing opening) to push out the bushings. I had some Grade 8 washers laying around the garage to help with the process. The inner bushings were a HUGE pain to access, requiring removal of the exhaust mid-section and front subframe bracket. Even then, the fuel tank is RIGHT in the way, so you’ll need to be very careful and creative to press that bushing out.

Same tools for the outer wheel carrier ball joint. After 130k miles, mine had a LOT of play in it. I highly recommend that everyone look into refreshing this bushing, as its pretty critical to rear end stability under load.

For the Lower Control Arm Bushing (Inner), I used a 2” PVC Receiving Tube, a Duralast 1-7/16 socket (no shaving needed), and several washers. This bushing was probably the most troublesome to remove, as there really isn’t a great place for the receiving tube to anchor. It made a terrible amount of noise as it painfully inched out, but be patient.

After all that, the rear end feels a LOT more solid with the updated ball joint and Whiteline products. Even though the alignment is WAY off, the rear finally feels a lot more confident. It’s an even larger, more noticeable improvement than the Whiteline subframe bushings I installed earlier this year

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures, but I’m here if anyone needs guidance on tackling this project.

I’ll report back after my alignment and new tires
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quick update for the archives....

Since I'd already had the car partially disassembled, I was determined to make the BavAuto/ECS Tuning tool work for me. It doesn't exactly fit the dimensions of the E90 (I wrote a note to ECS asking them to update the product details/fitmen5 guides to not include all 3-series), but does include some high quality items that worked well with other products I purchased from Home Depot and Autozone.

For the Inner and Outer Trailing Arm Bushings, I used a piece of 1.5" PVC for the receiving tube, and a Duralast 1-5/16 socket (has to be shaved/grinded down to fit through the bushing opening) to push out the bushings. I had some Grade 8 washers laying around the garage to help with the process. The inner bushings were a HUGE pain to access, requiring removal of the exhaust mid-section and front subframe bracket. Even then, the fuel tank is RIGHT in the way, so you'll need to be very careful and creative to press that bushing out.

Same tools for the outer wheel carrier ball joint. After 130k miles, mine had a LOT of play in it. I highly recommend that everyone look into refreshing this bushing, as its pretty critical to rear end stability under load.

For the Lower Control Arm Bushing (Inner), I used a 2" PVC Receiving Tube, a Duralast 1-7/16 socket (no shaving needed), and several washers. This bushing was probably the most troublesome to remove, as there really isn't a great place for the receiving tube to anchor. It made a terrible amount of noise as it painfully inched out, but be patient.

After all that, the rear end feels a LOT more solid with the updated ball joint and Whiteline products. Even though the alignment is WAY off, the rear finally feels a lot more confident. It's an even larger, more noticeable improvement than the Whiteline subframe bushings I installed earlier this year

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but I'm here if anyone needs guidance on tackling this project.

I'll report back after my alignment and new tires
Why not just take the subframe off the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:34 AM   #9
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dropping the whole rear subframe wasn’t a feasible option for me
Appreciate 0