E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Leak/ Adventure / Wtf

07-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

Oil Leak/ Adventure / Wtf

Had some minor work done underneath my car at an Indy a couple years ago. Works on Porsche, Ferrari, most foreign cars. Says leak might be from rear main seal and just to look to see if that’s what it was would be costly so I don’t bother. Do all my own oil changes and the car usually hangs at the 3/4 mark on dash oil level display. It’s def a mess underneath and I’ll clean it every so often. Just recently after about 1,500 miles after a change I start to get some spots on the driveway/garage. Cars due for inspection so I take it someplace else due to the close location and because of the corona. They mention the leak and say maybe to start with the sensor and see if that’s it because it was pretty wet. I’m not throwing codes for the sensor and not getting any displays on the dash for it so I tell them to just do the gasket for the oil level sensor and they say ok. Drop it off and then they end up calling me saying it’s not the gasket and that my sensor is cracked. They didn’t mention that the first time and the second time the guy said they didn’t even take it apart because they already knew what part I needed. Hmm that’s interesting. Had I known that I’d have just ordered the sensor and done it myself or had them do it depending on how busy I was. After this shadyness I decide to take it to the dealer. Diagnosed as an oil pan leak which I kind of thought it would be because it appeared to come from the upper part and not the sensor location. That and I already had the VCG done by dealer for free. Dealer fixes oil pan gasket, replaces axle seals, oil change obviously. Pick up the car and check the oil level while driving after I’ve been driving for 10mins in the highway in 90 degree weather. Oil level sensor is showing the level to be half full. The oil change interval had been reset as well. Even when I change mine and just let the car idle for a reading it doesn’t read that low. With all that being said and the dealer not saying anything was wrong with the sensor should I assume that all 7qts did not get put into my car at the dealer? With no mention of any sensor problems and then replacing the axle seals, oil pan gasket and oil level sensor gasket I can’t imagine why it’s only reading as half full
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
The sensor reading doesn't show the contents of the sump (i.e 0-6litres or whatever) but min to max on the display is only 1 litre. So your sump is not 3.5 quarts down, but 0.5 litre.

Hope that helps.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0