E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - retrofit paddle shifters

07-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #199
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg555 View Post
What do I do if the 6 pin connector at the clock spring has all the wires in it?

Looks like both paddles go thru the switches.

Steering wheel was out of 09 335
Go back and read my post on the second part. I mention what to do with pin #2 and #4.
Read it multiple time, until you memorize it
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #200
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
Alright. Thanks to all the info here, I was able to finish this early this week.
Haven't had the chance to post the steps I took.

The bottom line, regardless if you bought a whole steering wheel with paddles and multi function buttons from a wreck etc. or if you collected parts and put them together; you will need to modify the steering wheel wiring.
It's not just the modification to the plug at the bottom of the clockspring that needs to be modified. Again, the steering wheel wiring needs to be adjusted as it was posted by Zaphood earlier. And no need for $100 USD harness, unless you don't want to cut any wires.

So here it is:
  1. Remove front trim. To do so, remove the three torx screws in the back
  2. Once removed you will have easy access to each paddle shifter plug that connects to each multi function button
  3. Grab a towel/microfiber towel and pliers so you don't damage the plug
  4. Remove the paddle plugs from the multi function buttons
  5. Remove pin #6 on the multi function plug that connects to the clockspring. I only needed to remove this one
  6. You can now follow the diagram for the wiring, but here is the description:
  7. Each paddle plug has 3 pins, forget pin #1
  8. Make a connection from one paddle pin #2 to the other paddle #2 and connect another one in the middle -or something. basically a T wiring (sorry not sure what it's called)
  9. Connect this to the airbag ground
  10. Do the same T wiring to pin #3 on the paddles and connect this to pin #6 on the multi function plug
  11. This wiring concludes the part on the steering wheel

Next is the connection from the clockspring to the gear shifter
  1. Take out the plug at the bottom of the clockspring
  2. Find pins #2 & #4
  3. If they are filled; then remove them (I don't like cutting if I can avoid it)
  4. Insert around 1 meter long wire in each pin (2 & 4)
  5. Tap one to the purple wire on the shifter harness and the other to the blue one

That's it. Huge thanks to everyone for their posts, comments, and help.
I'm confused as here your saying you just need to tap into #6 on the multi switch connector but then in earlier posts they say you need to tap into #4 and #6? Furthermore I've also read some people saying to tap into #3 and #6.....? Can someone please clarify which is correct????
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #201
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
I'm confused as here your saying you just need to tap into #6 on the multi switch connector but then in earlier posts they say you need to tap into #4 and #6? Furthermore I've also read some people saying to tap into #3 and #6.....? Can someone please clarify which is correct????
I believe if you do one other pin on the multifunction connector going into the clockspring; then each paddle will only do one thing, either shifts up or down regardless if you push or pull.

Right now for me; when I pull on the right; it shifts up, and then I push on the right it shifts down. And the reverse for left.

I still don't know why I can't shift down while driving, but I can if I'm at stand still in D.
Could it be my GM transmission? I doubt, might connect to the other pin and see what happens.

Last edited by gamesfrager; 09-29-2019 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #202
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Sooo, if the lock harness on the back of the clock spring HAS the 2 yellow wires, what do they go to? I don’t want to remove them and lose something. OR does it mean I’m already pre wired?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #203
bateray
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Hi,
I have installed the paddles and the worked only in DS mode. Is there a solution for this, to work in D mode. My car is 2006 330i N52
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #204
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateray View Post
Hi,
I have installed the paddles and the worked only in DS mode. Is there a solution for this, to work in D mode. My car is 2006 330i N52
Hi, can I ask which steering wheel you used? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #205
bateray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post
Hi, can I ask which steering wheel you used? thanks
Pre LCI steering wheel with SSG paddles push/pull
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:11 AM   #206
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateray View Post
Hi,
That's generally how it's supposed to work. Paddles should shift in D but automatic will take back control if you're not actively shifting. DS you remain in control (with paddles) but car will downshift automatically as you lose revs (downshift to M2 at stop). Will also not let you damage the tranny by shifting for you if you hit redline.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #207
bateray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
That's generally how it's supposed to work. Paddles should shift in D but automatic will take back control if you're not actively shifting. DS you remain in control (with paddles) but car will downshift automatically as you lose revs (downshift to M2 at stop). Will also not let you damage the tranny by shifting for you if you hit redline.
I know this, but mine does not work in D at all. Only in DS.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #208
Utututu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e28/e30/g80

Hello.

I wanted to find out what I was doing wrong.

so bmw x1 2011 year 2.3xdrive, i bought a ssg steering wheel.

I took two wires from the gear selector to the steering wheel, removed the two yellow wires # 2 # 4 out, then connected the in steering wheel # 2 wires together to the ground, # 3 connected together and connected to the exit 6 of the ring.

when starting a car nothing happens, the problem is that the D is on the gear selector and M / S light is on, I can't change the speed with the steering wheel, are there any other things I can do?

I dont have paddle shiffters buttons with nummber 61319123287 but some other nummbers, with 6 pin.

Last edited by Utututu; 03-18-2020 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #209
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Hello,

I have a 2006 330i with a N52B30. Transmission 6 speed auto with EGS Module GKE11P.C02 Wheel I have has the SSG Paddles and came with the the multi function buttons with all 6 wires and behind the slip ring I had the 2 yellow wires.

Problem:
I cannot down shift manually but it will downshift on its own when hitting a certain RPM. The odd thing is it will not go to M1 on its own unless I use the shifter to manually shift up and down, I can then go into M1.

What I have tried:

-I have wired everything as the diagram is shown from the slip ring to the transmission connector two times. Second time was using larger gauge wire.
- Re wired the paddles ( these have 3 connections. one is up one is down and one is negative. Tried different routes on the paddles and bypassed the multi function directly to the slip ring connector. I know both paddles function properly.
- I have added $2XA to the VO for CAS and NFRM with NCSExpert
- I have default coded the EGS module to factory settings after adding the VO

I understand how the shifting grounds the connection out when in DS mode. and that the paddles essentially are just switches to do the same thing. I can manually shit up and down using the shifter but not the paddles?
Anyone have ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #210
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Hello,

I have a 2006 330i with a N52B30. Transmission 6 speed auto with EGS Module GKE11P.C02 Wheel I have has the SSG Paddles and came with the the multi function buttons with all 6 wires and behind the slip ring I had the 2 yellow wires.

Problem:
I cannot down shift manually but it will downshift on its own when hitting a certain RPM. The odd thing is it will not go to M1 on its own unless I use the shifter to manually shift up and down, I can then go into M1.

What I have tried:

-I have wired everything as the diagram is shown from the slip ring to the transmission connector two times. Second time was using larger gauge wire.
- Re wired the paddles ( these have 3 connections. one is up one is down and one is negative. Tried different routes on the paddles and bypassed the multi function directly to the slip ring connector. I know both paddles function properly.
- I have added $2XA to the VO for CAS and NFRM with NCSExpert
- I have default coded the EGS module to factory settings after adding the VO

I understand how the shifting grounds the connection out when in DS mode. and that the paddles essentially are just switches to do the same thing. I can manually shit up and down using the shifter but not the paddles?
Anyone have ideas?
Not sure about the rewire, but when it downshifts on its own it will only go down to M2 (sorta like how you might treat a manual). M1 is only by downshift by the paddle. So that's sorta normal, other than you not being able to downshift normally. I would have said check the actual wiring by the shifter as they crack but that would prevent you from driving in DS at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #211
dumapuma
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Hi. Does anyone know if it would be possible to fit a SSG (Pre-LCI) paddle shifting steering wheel on a LCI 2009 328i? I am not sure if I need to get the LCI shift paddles. The SSG shifters are cheaper and more abundant.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #212
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It shouldn't matter, you could do it. You just have to check the wiring as it has more to do with the connection to the control buttons. In some ways it might be easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #213
skrtsebasxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Cant really tell you cuz i dont see your wiring...etc

Make sure the homemade pins are properly connected

Do you have dct paddles or regular?

What year is your car?

Did you shift to DS mode and then shift?
i was done making my own pins the same way you did and went and tried to connect them but noticed those extra slots on mine are already takin would you have any idea what else i can possibly do ? my steering wheel is off of a 2008 bmw 335i and my car is a bmw 328i 2009 Any ideas ?? anyone
Attached Images

07-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #214
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

My experience, hope this helps someone with the same variation of car and wheel;

Car-2009 335i xDrive-non sport package, premium package, cold weather package.

Wheel- M Sport perforated wheel from a 2011 335i M sport. Wheel came with multifunction buttons.

Since the wheel came with multifunction buttons it had the 6 pin connector that plugs into the ring behind the airbag so didn’t need to do anything to get the paddles to connect to the ring.

The paddles tho had to have the “resistor mod” done to them in order for them to act as right side + and left side -. Now I am not an experienced in soldering whatsoever and the directions from BMS say to use a small piece of wire to “short out” the two connectors on the paddles AFTER removing the 2 resistors on each paddle. I tried it this way at first with flux and it was incredibly difficult.

So, instead of using a small piece of wire, I just used a blob of solder to connect the two connections to create the short. This was much easier to do and it has the same effect of a small piece of wire.

Lastly, in terms of the rear connector behind the ring hidden by the bottom plastics is the connection you have to make from there to the shifter assembly at the center console. My car had the 2 yellow wires in pin slots 2 and 4 so I removed those, taped up each of them.

Next I took 2 pins from another spare plug I had laying around, soldered about a foot and a half of wiring to each one and spliced each of them into the two middle wires of the blue plug at the shifter.

Everything is working well, all multifunction buttons work, I can be in just D along with DS and still use the paddles and didn’t have to buy a $100+ plug and play harness.

I was planning all along to just buy the BMS paddle retrofit harness but with it being out of stock for some time now I went this route and I’m glad I did. Hope this helps people wondering the same questions about an e90 lci non paddle car that wants to use an lci m sport +/- wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #215
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnhogue7 View Post
My experience, hope this helps someone with the same variation of car and wheel;

Wheel- M Sport perforated wheel from a 2011 335i M sport. Wheel came with multifunction buttons.

Since the wheel came with multifunction buttons it had the 6 pin connector that plugs into the ring behind the airbag so didn’t need to do anything to get the paddles to connect to the ring.

The paddles tho had to have the “resistor mod” done to them in order for them to act as right side + and left side -. Now I am not an experienced in soldering whatsoever and the directions from BMS say to use a small piece of wire to “short out” the two connectors on the paddles AFTER removing the 2 resistors on each paddle. I tried it this way at first with flux and it was incredibly difficult.

So, instead of using a small piece of wire, I just used a blob of solder to connect the two connections to create the short. This was much easier to do and it has the same effect of a small piece of wire.

Lastly, in terms of the rear connector behind the ring hidden by the bottom plastics is the connection you have to make from there to the shifter assembly at the center console. My car had the 2 yellow wires in pin slots 2 and 4 so I removed those, taped up each of them.

Next I took 2 pins from another spare plug I had laying around, soldered about a foot and a half of wiring to each one and spliced each of them into the two middle wires of the blue plug at the shifter.

Everything is working well, all multifunction buttons work, I can be in just D along with DS and still use the paddles and didn’t have to buy a $100+ plug and play harness.

I was planning all along to just buy the BMS paddle retrofit harness but with it being out of stock for some time now I went this route and I’m glad I did. Hope this helps people wondering the same questions about an e90 lci non paddle car that wants to use an lci m sport +/- wheel.
Nice. Pictures would help the next gen doing this.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #216
dumapuma
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnhogue7 View Post

Since the wheel came with multifunction buttons it had the 6 pin connector that plugs into the ring behind the airbag so didn't need to do anything to get the paddles to connect to the ring.

The paddles tho had to have the "resistor mod" done to them in order for them to act as right side + and left side -. Now I am not an experienced in soldering whatsoever and the directions from BMS say to use a small piece of wire to "short out" the two connectors on the paddles AFTER removing the 2 resistors on each paddle. I tried it this way at first with flux and it was incredibly difficult.

Everything is working well, all multifunction buttons work, I can be in just D along with DS and still use the paddles and didn't have to buy a $100+ plug and play harness.

I was planning all along to just buy the BMS paddle retrofit harness but with it being out of stock for some time now I went this route and I'm glad I did. Hope this helps people wondering the same questions about an e90 lci non paddle car that wants to use an lci m sport +/- wheel.
So you did not have to do anny custom wiring before the slip ring? Someone said earlier that it was needed. I suppose I can try and report back if thats the case with this specific configuration (swaping a 2011 msport wheel to a 2009 lci car)

Edit - still have to do the wiring modification before the slipping. Not sure how the poster I quoted did it
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #217
W4HG0N
Padawan
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E91 Auto

Garage List
Hey All bringing this back from the dead.... wanted to ask if anyone by chance have photos of the front and back of the LCI paddle circuit boards? so far, i've only located/seen the top part (where the resistors sat) not the back/bottom part... trying to figure out the path the current travels...trying to do a retrofit but not using an e90 steering wheel..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #218
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Just did a paddle retrofit today using multifunction buttons from a DCT 335i.
Turns out these multifunction buttons are different to the usual - they include resistor dividers internally to convert the upshift/downshift signals from the paddles to the paddle-shifter voltage input the DCT expects.

I was initially very perplexed when I put everything together, triple-checked my wiring, and the paddles didn't work.

Ended up taking the multifunction buttons apart and modifying them to the standard type. Before/after photos below. I just needed to remove a few resistors and add some bridges. I suppose this is also useful for any madmen retrofitting a DCT into their 335i with SSG paddles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RealJ221037.50
      12-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #219
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
You can also retrofit by adding to wires from Junction Box Module to the Transmission Plug behind the fuse box where the cables are.

Then adding $7XA to VO (CAS and NFRM) and default coding EGS.

Requirements:
- Paddles
- the right mutlifunction buttons
- the right steering wheel

Or you can cut your steering wheel. I made a perfect line up template to cut the steering wheel.

If someone need I can send a pm !
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #220
hb arab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Bringing this thread back from the dead in hopes of someone being able to provide me some help and guidance…

Background:
I purchased a 2007 (late '06 build) E90 335. The car came from the factory with the sport steering wheel and paddle shifters (option S2XAA). Over the span of the car's existence, one of the car's owners swapped on an M-Performance steering wheel without the LED screen and with paddles, so no additional wiring changes were required. This owner then ended up selling the M-Perf steering wheel and swapped back to a 6MT steering wheel with no paddles, which is how i purchased the car.

Fast forward to today:
I've purchased a used complete sport steering wheel with SSG paddles and MF buttons - I've also made some modifications to the paddles and installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles with the re-wire (left pull downshift/right pull up shift). But no matter what i do, i cannot seem to get the paddles to work. MF buttons all work with no issues, paddles have no function. The car goes into DS and i can manually shift up/down from the shifter with no issues.

I don't think it's a coding issue - i don't see why the original owner would bother to remove the coding after swapping on the 6MT steering wheel.

PLEASE HELP! I'm losing my mind. The MF button connector has all 6 wires, that's how i purchased it. Would removing the existing connector wires and replacing them like ZapHood mentioned solve my issue? Is it potentially a bad clockspring connector? Is it possible resistors in the MF buttons like mentioned?

I really appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0