E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need help troubleshooting comfort access (FIXED - Resolution Post #11)

10-14-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Need help troubleshooting comfort access (FIXED - Resolution Post #11)

Posted this also in the "navigation" forum, maybe it is the wrong one, and this is the right one, so here it goes:

I purchased the car not too long ago (2011 335is) and the comfort access didn't work since day 1 I purchased it.
Now I want to make it work, so i hooked ISTAD and I have the following code: S0159: "No communication possible with comfort access"
ISTAD also prompted that: "Junction box A4010 (glove compartment fuse box) has deactivated relay terminal 30g-f"
Now I started first by checking the fuses, and I found fuse #61 toast (5Amp).

I replaced the fuse so as to be able to maybe go a step further with my ISTAD diagnostic, but it was the same message. I checked the fuse #61 again, and it was again toasted. So I have a short somewhere I believe.

Not sure where to start. I looked up the diagrams in Bentley, but when it comes to electrical & electronic stuff, I'm not the best, as opposed to mechanical skills (not the best either probably, but my BMW's were serviced strictly by me for quite some time now).

I would really appreciate some hints, head-ups or any help.

Thanks
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)

Last edited by doru; 06-01-2017 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Solution found
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI these might help.

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU

CA described in second pdf starting at page 35.
What does your fuse map say the blown fuse is.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-14-2015 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

Stuff deleted

What does your fuse map say the blown fuse is.
First, thanks for your time. I had the first 2 documents (links you provided), missed the 3d. Thanks. Here are some pics I took. The first 2 are the fuse map. Fuse #61 shows it activates the door locks and something else (a black rectangle):

These here below are from Bentley - they show the fuse #61 wiring diagram. First pic is the whole thing, but hard to read. the next ones are details, maybe there is a way to figure this out?

e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Got to find the source of the fuse blowing

Got to find the source of the fuse blowing.
I would start disconnecting those 4 modules until the
fuse doesn't blow. I would probably start with the
Ca Module in the trunk area . Had this car ever been in
an accident?

Its funny the ideogram for fuse 61 doesn't suggest CA to me
but the schematic can't lie .

Did you try the DIY and maintenance sub forums .
There will at least be some procedures for removing the door
panels there.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-14-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got to find the source of the fuse blowing.
I would start disconnecting those 4 modules until the
fuse doesn't blow. I would probably start with the
Ca Module in the trunk area . Had this car ever been in
an accident?

Its funny the ideogram for fuse 61 doesn't suggest CA to me
but the schematic can't lie .

Did you try the DIY and maintenance sub forums .
There will at least be some procedures for removing the door
panels there.
No accidents as far as I know.
had a small dent on the trunk lid, went to PDR, and the guy told me it looks like the car might had some hail damage - he showed me where somebody pulled the trim (trunk) and didn't do a very good job. That's all I know. If this is true, then he might have dislodged/frayed some wires, maybe?
e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think the CA module is off to the side

I think the CA module is off to the side above the battery but that
receiver might be in the middle trunk area.

Where did you get your istad program and do you have it working on a k+dcan cable?
I am trying to set that up I have an old version of dis57 under vmware working and a old version of the
Inpa edbias ncsexpert working on an old xp laptop but would like to get things going
on a win 10 system without the VM's

I looked at the diagram on page 35 of the second document .(supplied electrical pdf)
It looks like you can unplug all the things that are attached to the CA module at the
module so you wouldn't have to take the door apart .(Well maybe not if the power is direct
like the schematic shows) It looks like one of the antenna's
goes to the trunk area but even if it was shorted I can't see an antenna blowing
a fuse as its a low current device.
Saw a couple of threads about the door modules going bad but that is pretty much it.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-14-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think the CA module is off to the side above the battery but that
receiver might be in the middle trunk area.

Where did you get your istad program and do you have it working on a k+dcan cable?
I am trying to set that up I have an old version of dis57 under vmware working and a old version of the
Inpa edbias ncsexpert working on an old xp laptop but would like to get things going
on a win 10 system without the VM's

I looked at the diagram on page 35 of the second document .(supplied electrical pdf)
It looks like you can unplug all the things that are attached to the CA module at the
module so you wouldn't have to take the door apart .(Well maybe not if the power is direct
like the schematic shows) It looks like one of the antenna's
goes to the trunk area but even if it was shorted I can't see an antenna blowing
a fuse as its a low current device.
Saw a couple of threads about the door modules going bad but that is pretty much it.
The BMW diagnostic & programming software I got it from here
It's a Romanian fellow, and I also have some older software (GT1) from him which I used and use on my e39, e46 & e53. You just need a laptop (used) which runs Win7 32 or 64 bit. It can be had for around 100 bucks in good shape (need at least 50G HD free & at least 4G memory).
The Romanian soft installs automatically and you don't need to fiddle with the obnoxious VMware, etc. All you need is to connect the K+DCAN cable (follow the simple instruction) and you're all set.
The faster the chip ($$), the faster the program runs - very important.
Also, if coding, you want a good power supply, which aren't cheap to be had. Up until 2006 a 40 amp was OK, now I need 70 amp, and the newer F series need 80 amp.
I had good results with a batt charger (not recommended - you can brick the car modules), but it had an option to run steady 14amp - not much but on the older BMW's it was able to keep up, and the voltage never dropped below 12.8

this electronic troubleshooting is killing me....never liked electronics in high school or university, but it seems I always stumble on these darn things....
e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do you have an ohm/voltmeter

Do you have an ohm/voltmeter

Measure the resistance across the fuse holder
It should be real low if there is short .

Disconnect stuff from CA Module measuring the resistance each
time . If it suddenly becomes much more resistive that is the
bad module or circuit.
Electronics is what I used to do for a living in the days in which everything
wasn't on one chip or in some module you just tossed when it went bad
though I did work in that era to. I found troubleshooting circuits pretty enjoyable
in the old days.
Depending on if the power goes through the cable to the CA module or directly to
the various modules you may have to pull the plug right at the module.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-14-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

PM sent

Thanks
e83 N52
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same boat.

My Problem : I can unlock and lock the car with they key fob no problem, all 4 doors work. But the comfort access and keyless start do not. I ALSO get an error that says "CAS Bus error" when I use my ICarly or error reporting prog.

Fuse 61 for me also keeps blowing so I tried teh following so far.
0. I replaced the fuse ( car started once with keyless but then next try, fuse blew - I'm guessing when I tried CA door handle)
1. I put in a new passive go module to test if it was that. Fuse blew.
2. I unplugged both door handles and tried each separately (and the start button with key in pocket. Nothing worked. (fuse blew)
3. I'm going to unplug both door handles and try that tonight, see if the fuse goes.

Could this be the actuator problem? Even if the doors are locking and unlocking with the key fob?

I have a thread somewhere documenting everything.

Last edited by thestimp; 01-07-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Issue fixed.
It was apparently a capacitor that shorted out in the driver's door handle. Had the car a friend of mine (ex-BMW master tech) and he has a special device for this comfort access thing, that actually pinpoints the problem. Taking out the door handle is a 2 minutes job, and he just plugged in that device both door handles, the driver side giving the error right away. Costly fix (new door handle prepainted and apparently has to be coded for the car's vin straight from Germany).

To sum it up:
If CA doesn't work, you get the code S0159: "No communication possible with comfort access" and fuse #61 (5 Amp) is blown, then one of the door handles has the circuitry shot. In my case it was a shortened out capacitor.
e83 N52
Appreciate 1
BMWNTHZST193.50
      09-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #12
Krivero9
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Issue fixed.
It was apparently a capacitor that shorted out in the driver's door handle. Had the car a friend of mine (ex-BMW master tech) and he has a special device for this comfort access thing, that actually pinpoints the problem. Taking out the door handle is a 2 minutes job, and he just plugged in that device both door handles, the driver side giving the error right away. Costly fix (new door handle prepainted and apparently has to be coded for the car's vin straight from Germany).

To sum it up:
If CA doesn't work, you get the code S0159: "No communication possible with comfort access" and fuse #61 (5 Amp) is blown, then one of the door handles has the circuitry shot. In my case it was a shortened out capacitor.
Wanted to add to this by saying this too was my issue. Pulled both doors handles off and plugged them in to see which blew the fuse and it ended up being the passenger handle. So leaving it disconnected CA works now like normal except on the passenger side. Have yet to get a new handle for now.
Appreciate 0