E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake/Rotor Recommendations

09-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #45
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH4X View Post
ATE Low Dust Ceramic pads have been very satisfying when it comes to the dust levels.

Yes there is a price-tag to it (at least here in Europe), but it has outdone all of the other brands I've tried so far that are so called 'Low Dust'.
Is there a part number or website for these by chance? I can't seem to find them here in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #46
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH4X View Post
ATE Low Dust Ceramic pads have been very satisfying when it comes to the dust levels.

Yes there is a price-tag to it (at least here in Europe), but it has outdone all of the other brands I've tried so far that are so called 'Low Dust'.
Is there a part number or website for these by chance? I can't seem to find them here in the USA.
Rock auto recently started to sell Akebono brake pads for our cars for a really competitive price. I highly suggest anyone looking for akebono pads to check them out. I've tried TRW, textar , Pagid, OEM BMW, and akebono by far have the least amount of brake dust with the lightest colour so it's not as noticeable. Also, I recently tried the Brembo UV-coated rotors on the fronts and I am very happy with them for their looks and performance. I think from now on I will go with them over Zimmerman.

Only downside is the initial bite of akebono's, especially when cold in the morning is a little less than OEM, but the car still stops the same IMO when you push the pedal hard, like in an emergency situation. After two weeks I don't notice the difference in bite, but I do notice that my wheels are still clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #47
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
If going no dust, Akebono is best option.
Personally, I think they are absolute garbage performance wise, but if ultimate goal is turning BMW to Camry, Akebono is way to go.
I've only had to replace the pads on my 335i once so far and did so w/Akebono pads and OEM rotors (that were just turned when the pads were installed). The pads give off absolutely NO dust and still stop extremely well "performance wise" (hard firm stops) in my 335i.

However, when I put Akebono pads and Brembo rotors on the 2000 911 C4 Cab that I sold recently, there was no dust BUT the brakes felt "soft" and did not stop as well as on my 335i.

Everything in the 911's brake system (pads/rotors/lines & master cylinder) was replaced at the same time and the system was bled mulitiple times w/o noticeable effect.

Tried to figure out the "problem" before I sold the car but never did. The only other thing that could have been done was to entirely rebuild the calipers which I suggested the buyer do if he want to try to improve the brake feel. Don't know if he ever did.

So, your experience w/Akebono pads may vary.

Last edited by SSW; 09-30-2021 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 04:46 PM   #48
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
This is the level of dust I am getting of the new TRW pads from FCP. In defense of TRW, I have zero issue with stopping performance. The problem is is that these are ceramic pads that are supposed to have low/no dust, and that is clearly not the case here.
They have been on the E93 for two weeks, and I just detailed the car this weekend. I'll give it another couple weeks/few hundred miles just to confirm what I am seeing before throwing in the towel. My Plan B is probably the Akebonos.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm brake pad shopping now for my E93 and trying to figure out what to buy.

What did you end up doing with the TRW pads? I read a few complaints of the same issue, lots of dust from the allegedly 'low dust' ceramic pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 04:41 PM   #49
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm brake pad shopping now for my E93 and trying to figure out what to buy.

What did you end up doing with the TRW pads? I read a few complaints of the same issue, lots of dust from the allegedly 'low dust' ceramic pads.
The dust abated somewhat, but I just ended up dealing with it. I’m still not happy with the routine cleaning that my rims still require. I’m gonna be replacing the pads shortly with the Akibonos mentioned above. I’ve heard repeated good things about their stopping performance and lack of dust, so going with that next time.