E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil level inactive, WHY?

12-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #45
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkhorseActual View Post
Bump. Just had oil changed again and still can't reset..says I'm 12000 miles over due and no idea how much oil is in my car or anything. Highly frustrating to be honest
It seems to be the issue appears in cold weather so it may be an issue with your water pump or thermostat as the engine temperature plays a big part on the oil sensor reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #46
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad
Quote:
Bump. Just had oil changed again and still can't reset..says I'm 12000 miles over due and no idea how much oil is in my car or anything. Highly frustrating to be honest
It seems to be the issue appears in cold weather so it may be an issue with your water pump or thermostat as the engine temperature plays a big part on the oil sensor reading.
Well when the engine warms up it doesn't change. Also how can i pin point the problem without wasting money replacing parts that don't need to be replaced?

Make money, no vacation
Pay cash, don't make payments

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #47
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Well when the engine warms up it doesn't change. Also how can i pin point the problem without wasting money replacing parts that don't need to be replaced?
This is why you scan for codes to help minimize the guess work and buying and throwing parts at the problem. Your local auto parts store should be able to read the codes for free. Though their readers will not read BMW specific codes it should pull a thermostat failure code.

If not not, take a look at the coding sections to install BMW Standard tools. Instructions and all is there. You just need to purchase a cable to use. I can't tell the amount of time and money this setup has saved me.
      01-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #48
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
This is why you scan for codes to help minimize the guess work and buying and throwing parts at the problem. Your local auto parts store should be able to read the codes for free. Though their readers will not read BMW specific codes it should pull a thermostat failure code.

If not not, take a look at the coding sections to install BMW Standard tools. Instructions and all is there. You just need to purchase a cable to use. I can't tell the amount of time and money this setup has saved me.
When I had this issue and i took it into bmw for diagnostic and the computer didnt bring up a code for the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #49
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i e90

Not sure if this will help but this is what I went through. My car 2006 330i e90, the sensors read inactive when I bought it. It took me months to find the info, but the emergency power to the water pump, the oil level sensor, and the IBS all work together with the voltage regulator on the alternator.

After changing the IBS, the fuse pack on the battery, I finally traced it to the voltage regulator. The previous owner had replaced alternator with aftermarket that did not have BMW voltage regulator.

I replaced voltage regulator, has worked ever since. This might not be your issue, but might give you some things to consider looking into.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #50
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Did your car show any codes at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #51
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardr85 View Post
Did your car show any codes at all?
No it didn't show any codes which was annoying but I did find the water pump was spinning at full rpm constantly causing the sensor not to read properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #52
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My water pump was doing the same thing. I believe it was due to a DCAN communication issue which led me to changing the IBS sensor and power distribution box on the battery. You can access the diagnostics in your dash, and check your battery voltage. You will have to google how. If I recall, I was running a little over 14v while driving, which is high. That led me to the voltage regulator which I replaced. It was right at $100, and takes about 30 min to do.

The worst part is, I had my battery checked at Autozone about six months prior, and they said I had a bad voltage regulator. I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't have any battery issues, so I didn't do anything about it. Once I found the BMW training module online explaining the DCAN bus system, It led me straight to the voltage regulator.

I was not getting a code for the voltage regulator, so that was my first lesson in not throwing parts at this car before you know what the true issue is. I hope this helps, at least you can discount that it is your voltage regulator if you check your voltage and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #53
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There is a company in your neck of the woods that sells the BMW diagnostic software and cable for about $50. That is what I use. It is easy to install on your computer, and there is plenty of information on how to use it online. PM me and I will tell you where I got mine, I don't want to advertise, I am not in anyway affiliated with the company. I tried to make the free downloads work for months, but I am technically challenged when it comes to computers, so I gave in and bought this. I had it up and running within an hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #54
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest it's fine now it was a faulty water pump I had. I fixed the problem I had with mine over a year ago now. My latest one was the bloody fuel injector.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #55
hardr85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I didn't even notice the date of the post. I haven't had the pleasure of having fuel injector issues, I am sure it wont be long good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #56
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Adding to post: I just got this issue this morning . In addition to the INACTIVE reading my oil temps raise faster than usual getting to the freeway and then rose to 250*F when they would usually be 220-230. Of note- I'm running without that part of the underbelly and we just had our first big rain.

Will update when sensor is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #57
BaltE92more
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i xDrive

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just had this error over the past week or two. Got it up on the lift at a dealer and they poked around it with me and hooked up the scanner. It ended up being an issue with the vent in the rear fender next to the battery (supposed to be one-way only) apparently opened up and allowed water into the batter area. The batter was sitting in about 2" of water. I replaced the batter and the negative battery connector as there is a batter sensor that allows for comms to stuff like the water pump, oil level and a few others.

Funny thing is, it never threw any codes. The fault only came up when they tried talking through the CANS bus.

I made sure the vent was properly closed, cleaned out the water, sprayed down all of the other terminal and inspected for corrosion/rust. Once the batter and cable were re-installed and coded, I went for a quick drive and it all worked like it use to.

I will be keeping an eye on that back area for sure every time it rains...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #58
Ecss08
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi

Hi guys

So here’s my problem.
I have an 07 E9x and I’m having this issue as well
It used to read periododicly now it doesn’t read at all
I don’t think it’s a coolant issue and my oil runs around 235 240 and sea level with air temp of about 70 or 20 doesn’t matter lol usually stays in that range while driving but once I stop it goes to about 220
I do t run the car hard as it has 289K on it. But I know I burn oil and driving this car is the only way to get to work. I haven’t cleaned the connector but I did order a new sensor as how old the car is

I’m hoping it will be here soon.

Do you folks think it sounds like a cooling issue bc the car is up to temp unlike others that posted

Thank you. John
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #59
Ecss08
Rep

Okay so update put new sensor in and. Yup still inactive. Currently disconnected battery to see if that resets anything. Bc assoon as I started car it said inactive. My next thing to do if it’s still inactive, is what I should have done first and that’s scan car with inap / bmw tools

I’ll let you know

John
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #60
Ecss08
Rep

Well disconnecting battery did absolutely nothing. Off to get the lap top ughhh
You would think a car with such low miles wouldn’t be giving me such heart ache Lolol 289k
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #61
Ecss08
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Adding to post: I just got this issue this morning . In addition to the INACTIVE reading my oil temps raise faster than usual getting to the freeway and then rose to 250*F when they would usually be 220-230. Of note- I'm running without that part of the underbelly and we just had our first big rain.

Will update when sensor is replaced.
Any updates
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #62
Ecss08
Rep

Ok so some updates.
- oil temp still reads but level does not
- checked on Ipna and I have a code 27C3
Which apparently has something to do with the DME communication. I’m still hoping it’s a wire because I can read the DME, coolant temp, and oil temp just not oil level. FML LOL
Appreciate 0