E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Has anyone done the hXP transmission flash on their N52?

03-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
michollock
Rep
Drives: 330i

Has anyone done the hXP transmission flash on their N52?

Looks like these guys have made a transmission tune for the N52, even the 2006 330i. There is an official thread for them but not a lot of N52 info on it. Wanted to see if anyone on here has done this and their thoughts? I have an 06 330i I would be very interested if this a good solution for what feels like a bit of an outdated auto box.

here is their site https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

here is the general thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347613

Thank you all!
Michael
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Where does it say it supports the N52?

Rjahl has a tune for the 330i - we haven't released it to anyone yet though. The interesting thing on the 330i and 325i is we can sign the files like they were stock BMW, so WinKFP will flash it without complaints or needing to alter boot code.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
michollock
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Where does it say it supports the N52?

Rjahl has a tune for the 330i - we haven't released it to anyone yet though. The interesting thing on the 330i and 325i is we can sign the files like they were stock BMW, so WinKFP will flash it without complaints or needing to alter boot code.
On their site under supported vehicles I put in 3 series, sedan, 2006, 330i, 258hp, US and it shows stages 1 through 3.

Sounds amazing... hopefully not too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michollock View Post
On their site under supported vehicles I put in 3 series, sedan, 2006, 330i, 258hp, US and it shows stages 1 through 3.

Sounds amazing... hopefully not too good to be true.
The First Generation 6HP19 has a lot more to give than the factory setup/tune.

I did all of the tuning myself, way before Xhp had anything for this gearbox. I think they just released this tune.

I like the tune approach we have taken with this tune as it does not apply any trickery to the TCU programs. It's a simple 'signed' calibration file that the TCU treats as a OEM tune. There is no need to read back up files or keep registrations on hand held devices.

I was surprised by how much faster you can get this gearbox to shift. The Torque Converter lock up points are pretty fun to adjust as well. With my old E85, the stock shift points were pretty good. I only needed to move up the max RPMs to 7,050 or so pending on the gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
michollock
Rep

I reached out xHP and they said they just released the N52 tune about a month ago.

Rjhal sounds like you have some experience with tuning this TCU. When you speed up the shifts is the transmission still smooth when driving at partial loads. Also on their stage III they said they have throttle blips on downshifts in M and S modes. Any thoughts on this? I am very interested but not sure if I want to be the first to do this here on my daily.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo954.50
      03-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

I just made the purchase today!

Let me tell you night and day difference.

I was very hesitant about spending that kinda money on an app flash but man...
It was worth every dollar seriously.

But if you purchase it get the Super License for the money its the only way to go.
I jumped straight to Stage 3
Download easy
Stock back up easy
Flash easy
The hardest part is cruising around for 50 miles waiting to see if you spent money on nothing or if the flash really did something to your car worth $269.99

Seriously getting a flash done so easily with a cell phone blows my mind lol
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo954.50
      03-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
michollock
Rep

Nice Madskillz... can you give your impressions on the night and day difference? Is it really blipping on downshifts? Any negatives so far?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ill keep you guys updated Michollock
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo954.50
      03-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michollock View Post
I reached out xHP and they said they just released the N52 tune about a month ago.

Rjhal sounds like you have some experience with tuning this TCU. When you speed up the shifts is the transmission still smooth when driving at partial loads. Also on their stage III they said they have throttle blips on downshifts in M and S modes. Any thoughts on this? I am very interested but not sure if I want to be the first to do this here on my daily.
I've never driven a car with an Xhp tune so I can't say specifically what they have done. I do know that it can be difficult developing a canned tune without making compromises either to the product or to marketing forces. The Multiple stages / tunes make me giggle.

The shifting speeds are driven by shift pressures and shift times. Both are mapped as a function of torque and RPM. So it is possible to leave the low toque values alone and only "heat" things up when you step on the throttle. I made smaller changes to the "D" mode maps and got really aggressive with the "Sport" mode maps.

Sport mode was something that I never used much until I "fixed" that stupid delay in "hold gear during turns" nonsense.

I did the throttle blip thing, Did not like it. I used the paddle shifts/manual mode a lot and the throttle blip seems too slow for me.

I also tweaked the TCC maps, The base logic for BMW was "no bumps" or rough spots that the owner might think is a fault. So first gear never locked up and even 6th gear TCC lock up was something like 70-75 MPH. Even manual mode had strange values. Getting the TCC to lock up early goes a long way towards removing the slipping/sliding feeling when driving an automatic. Aggressive TCC lock up in manual mode is the way to go. Not as good as my current DCT but it was 1,000 times better then stock.

I did very little to my shift maps, RPM to throttle. Factory settings for the E85 were pretty good.

One area that I know I took a different approach than Xhp is the manual mode up shifts. I chose to raise the shift points to an RPM that made sense to me, while Xhp will turn off the automatic up shifts. Probably because no two owners would agree on the value. I did remove the downshift switch when running in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Interesting... subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Okay, Gents I do have an auto XI model so I am sure you RWD guys will have a bit of a different feel than me.

Yes, the flash does throttle Blip on downshifts. michollock
and it does it nicely.

I do notice that the shifting is a whole lot more aggressive it shifts harder.
I am trying to figure out where this thing wants me to shift for smooth fast shifting in each gear. (Manual mode) because if you shift to early you feel it kick back.

Now if you currently have that good ol come to a stop then your car likes to jerk forward like you got rear-ended. Yea that stupid issue. Well, it just got harder with the flash, typically in drive mode.

I plan on taking a drive up to the curvy mountain roads and seeing how this flash handles my style of driving. I will be doing both stage 3 and stage 2 when I hit the twisties. Then I will touch base again.

My around town private straight roads do not give me a full taste of this flash.
I am a mountain carver type driver not a pedal to the floor straight away lol.

Stay tuned...
Also chime in if you have purchased the flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:44 PM   #12
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillzE90 View Post
Okay, Gents I do have an auto XI model so I am sure you RWD guys will have a bit of a different feel than me.

Yes, the flash does throttle Blip on downshifts. michollock
and it does it nicely.

I do notice that the shifting is a whole lot more aggressive it shifts harder.
I am trying to figure out where this thing wants me to shift for smooth fast shifting in each gear. (Manual mode) because if you shift to early you feel it kick back.

Now if you currently have that good ol come to a stop then your car likes to jerk forward like you got rear-ended. Yea that stupid issue. Well, it just got harder with the flash, typically in drive mode.

I plan on taking a drive up to the curvy mountain roads and seeing how this flash handles my style of driving. I will be doing both stage 3 and stage 2 when I hit the twisties. Then I will touch base again.

My around town private straight roads do not give me a full taste of this flash.
I am a mountain carver type driver not a pedal to the floor straight away lol.

Stay tuned...
Also chime in if you have purchased the flash.
I also have a XI auto, been debating getting this tune or BPC.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post

I did all of the tuning myself, way before Xhp had anything for this gearbox. I think they just released this tune.

I like the tune approach we have taken with this tune as it does not apply any trickery to the TCU programs. It's a simple 'signed' calibration file that the TCU treats as a OEM tune. There is no need to read back up files or keep registrations on hand held devices.

I was surprised by how much faster you can get this gearbox to shift. The Torque Converter lock up points are pretty fun to adjust as well. With my old E85, the stock shift points were pretty good. I only needed to move up the max RPMs to 7,050 or so pending on the gear.
How did you do it? Did you edit some bin files extracted manually from the tcu or edited some daten files?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Quote:

How did you do it? Did you edit some bin files extracted manually from the tcu or edited some daten files?
Lots of research, I edited the Bin. You can work with the 0da file as well. Bummer labs has the tools to create a properly "signed" 0da file from you custom tunes. Just flash when your done.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Lots of research, I edited the Bin. You can work with the 0da file as well. Bummer labs has the tools to create a properly "signed" 0da file from you custom tunes. Just flash when your done.
Lol, I can't, I have a 6 speed manual. Just being curious, I think I just saw one of your threads where you tuned your gearbox's maps step by step. Fascinating read but a little hard to understand without being familiar with all the tools and lingo. I think I might try to find that thread with diesel owners trying to tune their second gen 6hp just to educate myself more. anyway, awesome work. I've got a lot to learn about BMW coding and flashing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
Silp3
Rep
Drives: e46, FRS, Silverado, e90

What’s the feedback from a launch perspective. Does the converter lock up quicker for more of an immediate thrust - similar to aggressive launch/dumping a manual transmission clutch?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silp3 View Post
What’s the feedback from a launch perspective. Does the converter lock up quicker for more of an immediate thrust - similar to aggressive launch/dumping a manual transmission clutch?
That's not how a torque converter works, with or without a clutch.

When the car is stationary the fluid section will hook up and prevent the engine RPMs from exceeding stall speed. About 2,00 RPMs.

The TCC logic clamps the TCC as RPMs build. There is no logic to clamp based on brake signal or an RPM target like that used in the DCTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
8trance8
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

So you pay $270 USD for faster shifts? How much is that even worth it? Is there any video of it in regards.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trance8 View Post
So you pay $270 USD for faster shifts? How much is that even worth it? Is there any video of it in regards.
Night and day difference, the stock BMW 6 speed ZF transmission is lame at best. A good gearbox tune will change the car, even more than an moderate engine tune.

My 2-3 up shifts could take 800 milliseconds and most of that time the gearbox commands a reduced output from the engine. with a tune, that can drop to 300-500 milliseconds.

Do the math. 0-60 acceleration, 1/2 a second per shift with 50% power reduction. Don't forget the recovery time required for the engine to regain full output.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #20
8trance8
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Quote:
Night and day difference, the stock BMW 6 speed ZF transmission is lame at best. A good gearbox tune will change the car, even more than an moderate engine tune.

My 2-3 up shifts could take 800 milliseconds and most of that time the gearbox commands a reduced output from the engine. with a tune, that can drop to 300-500 milliseconds.

Do the math. 0-60 acceleration, 1/2 a second per shift with 50% power reduction. Don't forget the recovery time required for the engine to regain full output.
Do you have any videos of it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #21
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Search Xhp transmission tune on youtube, plenty of vids.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #22
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
No videos of my car, I used data logs.