E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Throttle Sensitivity Discovery thread

05-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #23
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Strange how they added damping for INA0S, does it have heavily boosted torque request tables as standard?

I would think the shifts would be fairly unaffected on DCT/Auto, these correction tables only seem to affect pedal changes, and so if you are holding your foot down constant and flick the paddles should operate the same.

Good info regarding hunting down the 2D59 faults

From my testing, speed correction seems to do nothing except for when the car is in neutral. So this table doesn't seem to be as useful as the name implies. If you test this by throwing it in neutral while the car is at speed, the throttle response is very heavily filtered. If you do the same test at higher speeds (pop the car into neutral at 180kph) the values are lowered and you get a bit better throttle response. This speed table is left standard on the 1M, and when I zeroed this out I noticed no change except for the throttle response vs speed in neutral only.
I'm fairly sure torque request is the same bottom heavy tables as the others (50-70% pedal = ~100% torque depending on normal/sport), but haven't specifically compared. 1st gear is just tall on DCT, it's the only reason I can see and why it doesn't take much change to the corrections to pep it up past the point of traction.

There are just basic operating differences/considerations/limitations between MT, AT and DCT (and AWD) and impact on them from these tables will get fleshed out over time. I'm actually going to use the speed table to try to work out a slow response at initial pedal on the stock bin tomorrow. The pedal seems almost too much at %/RPM already, but the motor isn't very responsive to it below ~10kph, which is still heavily damped on the speed table. Same pedal/RPM after 10kph takes off like a rocket. You wouldn't notice something like that on an MT as much because it's naturally balanced by feel with accel/clutch actuation to accelerate smoothly from a stop. DCT doesn't have that luxury, the clutch is pretty much fully engaged by the time you touch the accel pedal.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #24
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Cool This is coming to MHD as a tickbox option!

I have spoken to MHD Tuning and Ken@WedgePerformance today, and sent them the defined XDF's for IJE0S and IKM0S and all information I got about the new discovery, I got a confirmation that this will be added to the V8 OTS maps. Good news everyone
      05-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #25
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

nice work guys. If you need any help with testing, I can help. Also, Id be happy to donate as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

nice ...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #27
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was able to test the ije0s tables out on my 6at 135i. So far so good. The sensitive throttle smade more of a difference than i thought.

I set all 6at tables to 0 except reverse.
Appreciate 2
RSL647.00
      05-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #28
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
I was able to test the ije0s tables out on my 6at 135i. So far so good. The sensitive throttle smade more of a difference than i thought.

Does your 6AT have a stock, Alpina or xHP flash?

Do you also use MHD to flash? If so, did you flash the linear throttle option?
From what Clemens has said, xHP can't be used with the MHD (or custom) linear throttle setting/option/map as xHP has been tuned for a stock throttle map.

From vtl's testing, these new throttle sensitivity tables work best with a linear throttle map, which seems to mean no xHP.

I'm using Alpina flash with linear throttle at the moment but wanted to change to xHP Stage 3 with custom settings but didn't want to go back to a stock (non-linear) throttle map.

Instead of zeroing our all values, did you consider using stock values for low speed, e.g. for parking?

Are you getting any torque monitoring errors/codes? I think this has only been reported to occur on I8A0S.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post

From what Clemens has said, xHP can't be used with the MHD (or custom) linear throttle setting/option/map as xHP has been tuned for a stock throttle map.

From vtl's testing, these new throttle sensitivity tables work best with a linear throttle map, which seems to mean no xHP.

I'm using Alpina flash with linear throttle at the moment but wanted to change to xHP Stage 3 with custom settings but didn't want to go back to a stock (non-linear) throttle map.

Instead of zeroing our all values, did you consider using stock values for low speed, e.g. for parking?

Are you getting any torque monitoring errors/codes? I think this has only been reported to occur on I8A0S.
I think some testing can be done for the i8aos to see where the limits are having an issue. Suspect it could be the torque loss tables.

If someone could send me the XDF - I could test this out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #30
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun View Post
I think some testing can be done for the i8aos to see where the limits are having an issue. Suspect it could be the torque loss tables.

If someone could send me the XDF - I could test this out.
vtl said you can PM him for the I8A0S XDF.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #31
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

The only 6AT option i didnt 0 out were the reverse tables. Im IJE0S on an xhp stage 3 flash. Standard throttle mapping since I hate linear.

No torque codes of any kind.

I pm'd him and peter but I guess they're busy and havent responded. im sure they'll jump in soon.

Last edited by all4bspinnin; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #32
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nothing from them so far …
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #33
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! Was interesting cos one of the other guys was saying they didn't feel much difference (was a JB4 car, not sure if that makes a difference?)

40% pedal is almost WOT with the standard throttle mappings, surprised it didn't make it very jerky!
      05-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #34
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! Was interesting cos one of the other guys was saying they didn't feel much difference (was a JB4 car, not sure if that makes a difference?)

40% pedal is almost WOT with the standard throttle mappings, surprised it didn't make it very jerky!
I'm struggling to understand why it would make it jerky.
My thinking is that it's just going back to the days when you drove the car with your foot and the car was a dumb analogue device that wasn't trying to learn and adapt around your past actions. It's one of the key criticisms I have of modem cars with drive by wire
      05-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #35
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
RE: Emailing XDF's with defined throttle fix tables

Quote:
I pm'd him and peter but I guess they're busy and havent responded. im sure they'll jump in soon.
Quote:
Nothing from them so far …
I had a very busy weekend, I just replied to all pm's.

all4bspinnin you didn't include your email in your pm to send you the XDF's. Pm your email and I'll send them tonight.

Red_Bean_Bun I emailed you the I8A0S, IJE0S and IKM0S XDF's with the new discovered tables defined.

Pete
      05-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #36
trebila
Private
France
Rep

guys, have you tried with requested torque monitor factor A & B all set to 1, to see if it fix the torque monitoring issue:

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #37
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
I had a very busy weekend, I just replied to all pm's.

all4bspinnin you didn't include your email in your pm to send you the XDF's. Pm your email and I'll send them tonight.

Red_Bean_Bun I emailed you the I8A0S, IJE0S and IKM0S XDF's with the new discovered tables defined.

Pete
Tested I8AOS AT - stock torque limiting map tables. Stock torque request tables. Stock requested torque mon A/B tables.

Basic correction AT tables Zeroed.

Clutch intervention AT table Stock.

No problems after driving for about an hour in all kinds of driving conditions - D, S, M.

The 2D59 issue - which tune is it on - Stock or ?

Last edited by Red_Bean_Bun; 05-06-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #38
Tiron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
I'm struggling to understand why it would make it jerky.
My thinking is that it's just going back to the days when you drove the car with your foot and the car was a dumb analogue device that wasn't trying to learn and adapt around your past actions. It's one of the key criticisms I have of modem cars with drive by wire
Back in the cable throttle days, 100% pedal meant 100% throttle opening. It makes it jerky now because 25 or 30% pedal is 100% throttle opening, and its all done with the turbo wastegates and VVT at pedal positions higher than that.

I have tried this on my 135i M6, IJ rom, 190 load target with stock throttle. Can confirm that throttle is very touchy, especially from a stop and in 1st gear. Could probably learn to drive around it. Linear throttle feels too slow for me, I'll probably massage the throttle table to be a bit smoother though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #39
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Tested I8AOS AT - stock torque limiting map tables. Stock torque request tables. Stock requested torque mon A/B tables.

Basic correction AT tables Zeroed.

Clutch intervention AT table Stock.

No problems after driving for about an hour in all kinds of driving conditions - D, S, M.

The 2D59 issue - which tune is it on - Stock or ?
The onlly I8A0S car that I've tried this on so far was on a single turbo car with a custom flash tune. Not the most representative of the cars here I know.

Was throwing the errors every 1-3 minutes or so, after I flashed a linear throttle it seemed like it was fixed and completed a test drive no worries.

Another thing that skews this is that we did a manual conversion on that car and the kickdown switch option was ticked as well, I removed this option along with adding the custom linear throttle at the same time.

As my friend drove home it threw the torque monitoring errors a couple times. Then since then it has not thrown the error at all, it has been 3 weeks so far.
      05-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #40
trebila
Private
France
Rep

I divided by 2 all the correction tables (except the ones for reverse gear) on my AT, using my own custom and really aggressive torque requests low/high, not jerky at all, but touchy in 1st gear, starting from a stop, really easy to break traction now, lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #41
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Thanks for making the information public

I converted all of the DCT tables into the INA0S XDF. It seems there's some differences between the 35i and 35is DCT settings so I'll be trying those out before starting to use custom values.

EDIT: XDF Added. Hopefully save people a bit of time. I only added the DCT tables as that's all I need.
Attached Files
File Type: zip INA0S with DCT Throttle Correction.zip (28.2 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by CarAbuser; 05-07-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
rjahl996.00
      05-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #42
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

Nice work guys.
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #43
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Thanks for making the information public

I converted all of the DCT tables into the INA0S XDF. It seems there's some differences between the 35i and 35is DCT settings so I'll be trying those out before starting to use custom values.
If DCT on stock rom, watch your 1st gear standing start RPM, boost mean, etc. More RPM movement is expected, but it's messy on a normal start around 25-35% pedal in sport. It's not drive off assist, already tried. I think up to around 1200rpm, it's actually clutch engagement (stock does it a bit, just not as bad), but haven't had a chance to verify. I haven't done any WOT shifts in it yet either.

Also, there are at least 2 INA0S versions. One I have is fairly pedestrian, the other already has quite a few values the same as IKM0S stock. There are a bunch more interesting things it that would be fun to get at though. I found switches to enable 1M MDrive, Sport mode, DKG, etc., but probably need at least clock spring, maybe sport switch, cluster and coding. 1M was clearly specifically set up for a DCT, I assume just in case. Makes me wonder if there are undiscovered EGS/DCT ZBs floating around for them. I think they'd almost have to set for a 2.56 or anything smaller than the M3 ZBs if there are.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #44
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Great job guys!

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0