E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i all warning lights on after warming up

05-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Dr777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
335i all warning lights on after warming up

Hello
this is my first post been around looking at the forums for a while and found some useful info on here.
I'm having the strangest problem with my 335i which i believe may be the DME failing. On cold starts the car runs fine no warning lights nothing after about 10 minutes of the engine idling i get a message on my idrive saying that there is a "Malfunction in drive" shorty after the "P" indicator for the transmission starts flickering like its loosing com and you can here the locking pin for the gear selector locking and unlocking without pushing the brake followed by another message saying something along the lines of gears can be changed without pushing the brake somewhere here the CEL will turn on. after a minute the rpms will drop to 0 like its loosing com there too it wont stay at 0 it kinda flickers like the transmission. The brake and traction control lights come on too during this the CEL light will start to flicker then eventually the airbag light comes on. But the engine? never skips a beat at least not what i can notice there are codes for misfires but i didn't hear any unless i was to focused on what was going on. the engine has only stalled once the past couple of times I've replicated it and whenever i do shut off the car sometimes the car will not start until the CEL light comes back on and the windshield wipers will turn on like it does when the DME is disconnected

What i have tried:
re-seat the connectors for the DME
I did a quick check but not a full check of the wires to see if any were burnt or frayed
changed the crankshaft sensor since i was having problems with it while this was going on (brake and traction light were on when starting and limp mode)

i bought the car back in January with a blown engine did the engine swap myself and it ran great for 700 miles only mods i know about are silicone inlets which i did myself the car is not tuned to my knowledge. i suspect the engine blew due to overheating since the water pump was bad when i got the car and did not blow due to tuning which i believe isn't

here are the codes i pulled from the DME
CD99 torque requirement EGSelectronic gear control
CDA8 Status KOMBI, 1B4
Unbekannter fehlerort (unknown error)
Unbekannter fehlerort (unknown error) (not a typo it popped up twice uh oh)
29D3 (might typo for another cylinder misfire have to check dont have a laptop with me atm)
29CF Cylinder 3 misfire
29CC several misfires
CDAD requirement road wheel torque drive line, BF
CDA1 DOG sensor flying angle, way error
CD9E gear box date 2, 1A2
CE9D Message (engine torque 1, 0x0A8) faulty, receiver active steering, transmitter DME-DDE

battery is a little over a month old
my cars production date is 02/08 and i believe it could be my mosfets that have gone honesty i dont know anymore and i am on the verge of just swapping the computer any help would be appreciated thanks

UPDATE:
29d3 is actually 29d2 cylinder 6 misfire
turns out i cant pull codes with the ignition on only with the key in which is weird but i got some more codes the only codes that stayed are the ones for the misfires all the other ones are no longer there
these descriptions are from bmwfault.codes BTW
CD9D Message (transmission data, 0xBA) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/HIM/SMG/DCT

CD95 Message (operation, cruise control/ACC, 0x194) incorrect, receiver DME, transmitter ACC

CDA0 Message error (terminal status, 0x130), DME receiver, CAS transmitter

2DC3 DME: Monitoring, terminal 15

CDB0 Message error (display, transmission data, 0x1D2), DME receiver, ETC / HIM / SMG / DCT transmitter

2AAF DME: Fuel pump, plausibility

CD87 DME: PT-CAN communication fault

2E8E BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing

2F80 DME: Engine shutdown time, plausibility

2AB4 DME: DME, internal fault: RAM checksum

2F6C DME: Exhaust-gas flap, activation

Update:
problem is solved. turns out the wiring harness for the transmission was damaged by the exhaust (probably fell over while installing the trans and engine) i replaced the wires and ran the harness under the driver side, cleared the codes and ran the car for about 20 minutes and no errors i will take it on a drive tomorrow morning

Last edited by Dr777; 06-01-2019 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0