E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 or ESS

06-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 79’ 528i | 03’ 325i| 07’ 335i

Jb4 or ESS

I recently purchased a n54/ single owner. Old lady driven with 93k. I recently did a coolant flush along with a oil change and changed the oil filter housing gasket along with the expansion tank. I have VRSF downpipes and DCI's and was curious as to which tune to run. I don't want a CEL and i heard JB4 stacked with MHD would take care of it. I also heard ESS would aswell. Most importantly... i want reliability.. all input is welcome being that i am knew and could use the knowledge
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The back end flash maps loaded via MHD turns off the CEL. The JB4 is an awesome tuning tool and the free maps provided are top notch. JB4+MHD is the best N54 tuning solution and these days pretty inexpensive too. The MHD flash license for JB4 maps is only $79.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey335i View Post
I recently purchased a n54/ single owner. Old lady driven with 93k. I recently did a coolant flush along with a oil change and changed the oil filter housing gasket along with the expansion tank. I have VRSF downpipes and DCI's and was curious as to which tune to run. I don't want a CEL and i heard JB4 stacked with MHD would take care of it. I also heard ESS would aswell. Most importantly... i want reliability.. all input is welcome being that i am knew and could use the knowledge
These days, there is no reason to run anything other than mhd, speaking as someone who still has cobb.

Also no reason for a back end jb4, unless there is a specific feature that you need it for because you are running a more complex meth setup or something that might benefit from it.

Mhd is inexpensive, tons of support, and still being updated, and easy install. Will also suppress your dp code.
      06-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
These days, there is no reason to run anything other than mhd, speaking as someone who still has cobb.

Also no reason for a back end jb4, unless there is a specific feature that you need it for because you are running a more complex meth setup or something that might benefit from it.

Mhd is inexpensive, tons of support, and still being updated, and easy install. Will also suppress your dp code.
+1

No need for a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So MHD It is then, going to look into it now. Anyone that is familiar with it please feel free to throw some info
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
So MHD It is then, going to look into it now. Anyone that is familiar with it please feel free to throw some info
Just flash stage 2 and call it a day. MHD is awesome. You'll probably need to do all 6 coils and plugs otherwise it'll misfire.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Quote:
Just flash stage 2 and call it a day. MHD is awesome. You'll probably need to do all 6 coils and plugs otherwise it'll misfire.
Coils are new
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:

2STEP, anti-lag, on the fly map changes, VALET map, protection from key cloning, auto tuning for E85 mixtures, advanced safety systems, logging wirelessly to your phone, etc, etc. The biggest thing though really is the free maps. At the end of the day the JB4 doens't cost much more since you're not having to buy individual MHD maps, custom tuning support, logging app, etc, etc, and just pay the one time $79 load a back end flash fee.
Appreciate 1
b92539.50
      06-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

did you say reliability too??
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:

2STEP, anti-lag, on the fly map changes, VALET map, protection from key cloning, auto tuning for E85 mixtures, advanced safety systems, logging wirelessly to your phone, etc, etc. The biggest thing though really is the free maps. At the end of the day the JB4 doens't cost much more since you're not having to buy individual MHD maps, custom tuning support, logging app, etc, etc, and just pay the one time $79 load a back end flash fee.
Thanks fuel it, though all features I don't need. With my 6mt, Give me a flash tune with a quality customized map for my hardware and I'm ready to rip. While map switching sounds nice in theory, I've never in 10 years of n54 ownership needed it, and valets don't touch the car. Maybe if I Used higher amounts if e85 though and kept changing it up...
      06-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks fuel it, though all features I don't need. With my 6mt, Give me a flash tune with a quality customized map for my hardware and I'm ready to rip. While map switching sounds nice in theory, I've never in 10 years of n54 ownership needed it, and valets don't touch the car. Maybe if I Used higher amounts if e85 though and kept changing it up...
There is no one size solution it just comes down to what you need, what you might benefit, and what the extra cost/headache is between the two.

For example one feature that JB4 customers tell me they love is the ability to see boost and timing values displayed in dash gauges whenever they race around the car. No need to connect app or do anything the data is always right there in front of you. If you have a Fuel-IT E85 kit installed then you can also view the E85 mixture every time you start the car on the speedo so you know. It's all really easy. Just a few of the simple but really useful features people like.

Last edited by Fuel-It!; 06-18-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      06-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

You can use Motiv's Flex Fuel with MHD.No need to buy a JB4 for auto tuning with ethanol mixtures.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You can use Motiv's Flex Fuel with MHD.No need to buy a JB4 for auto tuning with ethanol mixtures.
Yes but then you spend an extra $200 or whatever which is 1/2 the cost of a JB4 anyway. And it's still not going to flash E85 mixture on the speedo at startup and allow the same level of dynamic flexibility and safety.

Sometimes it's different strokes for different folks and there is more than one way to do things. But just because you can get something done one way doesn't mean it's the best or easiest way for everyone. Need to be open minded to different approaches and their benefits.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #14
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Yes but then you spend an extra $200 or whatever which is 1/2 the cost of a JB4 anyway. And it's still not going to flash E85 mixture on the speedo at startup and allow the same level of dynamic flexibility and safety.

Sometimes it's different strokes for different folks and there is more than one way to do things. But just because you can get something done one way doesn't mean it's the best or easiest way for everyone. Need to be open minded to different approaches and their benefits.
Yes need to be open minded.

What do you have to gain from jb4?
      06-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #15
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post

Here is part of the FAQ:

Quote:
What are the benefits of running a JB4 with a flash rather than flash only for tuning?

While it's possible to tune an N54 without a JB4 doing so comes with many disadvantages.

1) The JB4 includes more robust safety systems than are possible via flash only. Starting with fundamental safety systems like reverting to a safety map if boost exceeds your safety setting, if the air/fuel ratio in either bank turns dangerously lean, or if fuel pressure drops below a safe level. While you might think the DME alone can handle these basic safety systems surprisingly it's not the case. The DME will happily let you run along at full power and a 18:1 AFR, with boost pegged if a WG line drops off, and the only fuel pressure safety provided is when fuel pressure drops down so low fuel injection itself has to be suspended. In addition to these basic safety systems the JB4 offers layered advanced safety systems. For example it monitors fuel trims bank to bank and reverts to safety if they exceed more than a 15% variance indicating a possible fuel distribution or o2 sensor issue. Port injection and WMI add extra failure points and the JB4 control provides advanced safety systems for them as well. The port injection FAQ covers the basics.

2) The JB4 boost control system is programmed as absolute meaning you'll always target a specific boost level. Unlike the DME which naturally implements a LOAD control system where boost levels go down when it's cold and go up when its warm. The opposite of what you generally want for turbocharged performance. In addition the JB4 is quick and easily adaptable to a wide range of setups eliminating the need for expensive custom boost tuning and the risks that come with repeated logs on systems that are not yet setup. It's not uncommon for engine damage to occur while a new setup is initially being dialed in. The JB4 automatically tunes wastegate dutycycle, fuel trims, and other important tuning criteria full time in the background greatly simplifying the tuning process. In addition the JB4 auto-tuning map can self tune for various ethanol mixtures without the need of an expensive and difficult to install flex fuel sensor. Pedal to boost mapping, spool aggression, boost by gear, and other critical factors can be easily adjusted in dash on the fly to suit the needs for the particular track or racing situation.

3) On the fly changes. Whether it's changing the boost/power level, boost by gear setting (including being able to disable it on the fly for burn outs or if traction turns out to be better than expected), pedal input, 2STEP RPM, or what gauges are shown in dash, the JB4 allows a wide range of user adjustment real time from the drivers seat without having to use a 3rd party device or risk programming the DME between runs. You're able to make the changes while out on the track where you need to make them.

4) The JB4 allows for much better real time feedback to the driver. User adjustable in dash gauges allow you to keep a constant eye on boost, timing, knock, meth flow, and/or AFR, all selectable and changeable on the fly from the drivers seat. A user adjustable shift light can be triggered making rowing through the gears easier. JB4 Mobile allows wireless bluetooth logging via your Android or Apple phone without a cable locked in your OBDII port. In addition you can select map0 on the fly to allow OBDII port logging and diagnostics when needed for vehicle service. The JB4 default logging set includes all relevant data required for tuning including boost, timing cylinders 1-6, AFR and fuel trims in both banks, high and low fuel pressure, load, calculated torque, trans temperature, and many other parameters. The JB4 provides a simple to use but incredibly robust data logging system eliminating the need to select what parameters to record before each run and providing instant on the fly charting without the need of 3rd party internet programs. We routinely add parameters to the JB4 logging set based on customer feedback and evolving tuning requirements. The JB4 samples boost and analog sensors 250 times per second and CANbus specific data like air, fuel ratio, fuel trims, and timing advance 10 times per second.

5) Integrated JB4 features such as no lift shift, 2step, anti-lag, port injection control, flex fuel sensor, and progressive water/meth (WMI) control eliminate the need for independent add on boxes that are more difficult to install and technically unable to communicate with each other. Integration allows these extra features to share information for a smooth and cohesive tuning solution. For example with the JB4 NLS and JB4 port injection control when you press the clutch in for NLS your port injection flow is momentarily suspended to avoid huge backfires that have been known to blow out o2 sensors and in extreme cases blow up intake manifolds. When the DME requests a torque drop due to traction or stability control the JB4, WMI, and PI systems all respond accordingly. JB4 anti-lag has a dedicated user adjustable boost limiter to avoid unnecessary engine stress while engaged. WMI integration is able to hold boost levels low UNTIL fluid is flowing adequately to prevent spool up and transitional knock, adjust your boost target if the fluid being injected turns out not to be as potent as was expected or required to prevent knock, and in the event of a fail-safe depending on the severity of the situation either lower your boost target partially OR instantly dump boost out the diverters/close the throttle/cut timing. These are just some of the many examples of why having add on boxes an features all integrated through a single system is advantageous.

6) The JB4 is widely used and widely supported including free unlocked back end flash maps and custom mapping support from BMS via the n54tech support forum. BMS sponsors and attends several 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile races per year continuously improving the JB4 base maps and features based on real world experience and feedback. These updates are provided free of charge to JB4 customers via n54tech firmware posts.

7) The JB4 hardware is robust, reliable, highly developed, and upgradable, with many thousands of systems in use since 2008 when it was first released. The key to the JB4’s success is that it DOES NOT replace the factory engine computer or DME. The JB4 simply adds on to functionality already provided by the DME. As a result the DME remains in full control of your engine at all times with the JB4 dynamically making small but impactful adjustments to add in extra safety systems and features and dramatically improve performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #16
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Mhd alone should suffice. Jb4 just adds for more stuff to go wrong.
Appreciate 2
Jklad421.00
      06-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #17
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post

Him personally? A paycheck. lol
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 1
CarAbuser467.50
      06-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Him personally? A paycheck. lol
That's kinda what I was asking. Nothing wrong with it.
type-dRew641.00