E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hit and Run on my 335i

11-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport xDrive

Hit and Run on my 335i

Had my 2013 E92 335i rear ended today on my way to work.

I was pulling out to make a left onto a busy street. I started to roll forward when a car came around the corner into sight at a high rate of speed. I realized that I wouldn’t be able to safely pull out into the road ahead of them so I stopped quickly to let them pass. Driver behind me was expecting me to continue pulling out and didn’t stop fast enough – hit me in the rear passenger side corner of my car with his driver side front.

We both got out of our cars, I spoke to him and he acknowledged verbally that he had hit me. I asked him to pull off to the side so we could talk. He pulled off to the right and parked. I had to pull off to the left as my car was already facing that direction to let the traffic that had built up behind us pass. As soon as those cars moved between us, he took off.

Now he wasn’t outrunning my E92 in his shitty Honda Pilot so I was able to catch up to him relatively easily while I called 911. I got a chuckle at how hard he was trying to get away as I followed with no problem. I got his license plate number and the 911 operator told me to pull over so and officer could come out and make a report. I did so and unfortunately that was my mistake.

The damage to my car wasn’t severe (thankfully he just missed my Dinan exhaust and taillight). It’s not going to buff out and body work / painting is definitely needed, but it’s not like my bumper was hanging off. And apparently, at least in NY state, if the damages are less than $1500 the cops aren’t going to do much about a hit and run. Even though I have the license plate number of the person who did it, they’re not going to bust his door down and arrest him. Not worth their time I guess.

So now I’m pretty much left having to decide whether I want to deal with my own insurance company over the damage. There’s a chance that I can provide the other guy’s information to my insurance and they could track him down but I don’t have high hopes for that. I’m likely going to have to either pay out of pocket for the repair to the insurance deductible.

So, if you ever find yourself in this situation don’t make the same mistake that I did. Find the a**hole that hit you, track him down, and follow him to wherever he goes. Then have the cops come meet you there where they can ID him and write him up for hit and run. Or maybe just so you can know where to go to slash his tires, up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Let your insurance deal with it. I had a similar situation a few years ago (hit-and-run, guy was weaving, likely drunk, and his insurance company was a fly-by-night operation). My insurance company handled everything, and explicitly instructed me to not respond to anything sent by his insurance company. My insurance (State Farm) diligently followed up on the leads (found the guy's vehicle by his address, visually confirmed the damage to his vehicle, etc).

You are in a much better situation- you have the make & model of the vehicle, plus the license plate, but you also have a solid description of the driver. This should be a slam-dunk by your insurance. They pay you, and then they go after him (via subrogation). They're an 800 lb gorilla in this fight. Let them smack around this guy (and his insurance company, provided he has one!).

As for what you should pay- it should be nothing. Check if you have collision coverage and uninsured motorist coverage. If so, that should cover your deductible. The rest of the coverage centers around the fact that he hit you, and that by leaving the scene of the accident he committed a crime (misdemeanor), which does not work in his favor.

Also remember to posit the diminished value claim to your insurance.

Finally, you never know what someone will do if you start chasing them; let the insurance companies deal with him. His rates are going to be astronomical for the next 3-5 years, and they may drop him altogether as a liability.

Last edited by Thorin; 12-10-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicked8 View Post
Or maybe just so you can know where to go to slash his tires, up to you.
I would take a dump on his hood, that’ll teach him.

Pics of damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicked8 View Post
Or maybe just so you can know where to go to slash his tires, up to you.
I would take a dump on his hood, that’ll teach him.

Pics of damage?
+1 Came for the pics
      12-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

+1 on insurance, never know what that mommy lover can carry on them or what substances they are on
Appreciate 0