E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > iDrive Chrome Ring Replacement

04-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
aaroncw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

iDrive Chrome Ring Replacement

Just did a replacement on the chrome ring that surrounds the iDrive knob. Super easy. Thought I'd document it, I know it's been done other places better, but it is a fun and easy 15 min project.

Hopefully the pics tell the story.

1. Use a plastic pry tool to pry up console trim. In my case the faux wood tone plastic. I started from back near armrest.
2. You don't need the trim all the way off. Just enough to remove controller. There are six clips on each side of controller holding it to trim. Very gently use a flat tool to release the clips. The controller will pop down when all clips are released with very little force.
3. Now you can raise the trim and bring the controller out, the wire is still attached so don't yank it.
4. There are 4 tiny pegs holding the trim circle down over the knob. Just put your flat tool down under the ring and gently pry it up over the pegs. Very easy, practically zero force required.

At this point the old ring is off. Put the new ring on. Make sure it goes over pegs secure. Now just reverse procedure. Pop controller back up into trim and make sure it clips right and is solid. When putting your trim back start from the front near stereo and gentle push it back into place.

This is my first project completed. Thanks to Bimmerpost and M3 for the how to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Philip451
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Old thread, I know...
Recently purchased a beautiful 335d with 90k on the clock. One owner car in phenomenal condition, However that chrome trim ring on the idrive knob was wrinkled/bubbled. Cut the bloody hell out of my finger it last week.
Finally found one on FCS for $40 but had a hell of a time finding a part # for it.
I'll consider it $40 well spent. Thanks for the writeup.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
NoahBlue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Thanks for the post. Would there be any reason a guy couldn't take out the old one, peel all the chrome tin foil off then put a nice primer and paint on the plastic part underneath? Then put it back in?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahBlue View Post
Thanks for the post. Would there be any reason a guy couldn't take out the old one, peel all the chrome tin foil off then put a nice primer and paint on the plastic part underneath? Then put it back in?
Yeah you could definitely do that instead.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncw View Post
Just did a replacement on the chrome ring that surrounds the iDrive knob. Super easy. Thought I'd document it, I know it's been done other places better, but it is a fun and easy 15 min project.

Hopefully the pics tell the story.

1. Use a plastic pry tool to pry up console trim. In my case the faux wood tone plastic. I started from back near armrest.
2. You don't need the trim all the way off. Just enough to remove controller. There are six clips on each side of controller holding it to trim. Very gently use a flat tool to release the clips. The controller will pop down when all clips are released with very little force.
3. Now you can raise the trim and bring the controller out, the wire is still attached so don't yank it.
4. There are 4 tiny pegs holding the trim circle down over the knob. Just put your flat tool down under the ring and gently pry it up over the pegs. Very easy, practically zero force required.

At this point the old ring is off. Put the new ring on. Make sure it goes over pegs secure. Now just reverse procedure. Pop controller back up into trim and make sure it clips right and is solid. When putting your trim back start from the front near stereo and gentle push it back into place.

This is my first project completed. Thanks to Bimmerpost and M3 for the how to.
You give me a new idea for personalization,THX
Appreciate 0