E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track suspension recommendations

03-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #23
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYEGUY View Post
I'm curious as to what those are. For $2500 to $3000 what is a better option than the Ohlins R&T with Swift springs that will be liveable on the street and can perform well on track. The Ohlins R&T's are a very high level damper and with proper spring rates will out perform dampers almost double its cost

MCS Singles are over $3000 when you include springs and the other stuff needed to actually install them. Not to mention the would not hold up to DD duty as they are made of aluminum and will rust

The AST 5100's are not on the same level as the Ohlins and the 5200's are far more expensive

JRZ RS Sports are over $3000 when you throw in the springs and height adjusters and are again made of aluminum

TC Kline Singles are not on the same level as the Ohlins. The Doubles are but they are also a lot more expensive

The Only Dampers KW makes that can compete with the Ohlins are the V3 and in track they are equals for sure but on the street the 2-way V3's are not as good as the Ohlins, you would have to step up to the 3-ways which not only more expensive than the Ohlins but are also far more complex
To start, Bilstein B16 EDC is less than $3000, and there are high quality budget stuff like YCW and Fortune Auto kits that going for way less.

Seriously, Ohlins road and track is not made or engineered by Ohlins at all. It was the product of partnership with a Japanese firm that was then marketed as an Ohlins product. The so called Dual Flow Valve is nothing by a fancy term for digressive valving, plenty of other kits have that as well. At the end of the day, you are really just paying for the name. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you care. Their blue logo and iconic gold colored shocks do look good, especially on bikes.

One have to wonder though, if "Ohlins" can't even get something as simple as the spring rate correct for our cars, how do you know if they got the right damping rate with their shocks...
Appreciate 3
Taskmaster2463.00
feuer4274.50
      03-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
To start, Bilstein B16 EDC is less than $3000, and there are high quality budget stuff like YCW and Fortune Auto kits that going for way less.

Seriously, Ohlins road and track is not made or engineered by Ohlins at all. It was the product of partnership with a Japanese firm that was then marketed as an Ohlins product. The so called Dual Flow Valve is nothing by a fancy term for digressive valving, plenty of other kits have that as well. At the end of the day, you are really just paying for the name. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you care. Their blue logo and iconic gold colored shocks do look good, especially on bikes.

One have to wonder though, if "Ohlins" can't even get something as simple as the spring rate correct for our cars, how do you know if they got the right damping rate with their shocks...
Thank you!!

Why so much praise for a product that isn’t even good out of the box and costs more than comparable products. I always wondered what people quantify as ‘good’ and why.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      03-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #25
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious as to what those are. For $2500 to $3000 what is a better option than the Ohlins R&T with Swift springs that will be liveable on the street and can perform well on track. The Ohlins R&T's are a very high level damper and with proper spring rates will out perform dampers almost double its cost

MCS Singles are over $3000 when you include springs and the other stuff needed to actually install them. Not to mention the would not hold up to DD duty as they are made of aluminum and will rust

The AST 5100's are not on the same level as the Ohlins and the 5200's are far more expensive

JRZ RS Sports are over $3000 when you throw in the springs and height adjusters and are again made of aluminum

TC Kline Singles are not on the same level as the Ohlins. The Doubles are but they are also a lot more expensive

The Only Dampers KW makes that can compete with the Ohlins are the V3 and in track they are equals for sure but on the street the 2-way V3's are not as good as the Ohlins, you would have to step up to the 3-ways which not only more expensive than the Ohlins but are also far more complex
Aluminum doesn’t rust.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      03-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #26
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Glad to see people applying critical thinking lol

The spring rates are jacked up because they are matched to the damper not the chassis. You think they went out and engineered dampers with valving specific to e9x/e8x spring rates? Probably not. Same thing with KW and even high end stuff like jrz... They literally only make 2-3 dampers and all that changes from chassis to chassis is the mounting points. Then again that's all you really need to do since most dampers have a VERY wide range of damping capability. Just gotta hope you've got enough rear damping as our chassis needs to run relatively high rear rates compared to other platforms.

Last edited by bbnks2; 03-12-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
      03-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Glad to see people applying critical thinking lol

The spring rates are jacked up because they are matched to the damper not the chassis. You think they went out and engineered dampers with valving specific to e9x/e8x spring rates? Probably not. Same thing with KW and even high end stuff like jrz... They literally only make 2-3 dampers and all that changes from chassis to chassis is the mounting points. Then again that's all you really need to do since most dampers have a VERY wide range of damping capability. Just gotta hope you've got enough rear damping as our chassis needs to run relatively high rear rates compared to other platforms.
You know I really really really wish vendors or someone start publishing shock dyno data on the kits they sell. Doubt that is ever gonna happen though...
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #28
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You know I really really really wish vendors or someone start publishing shock dyno data on the kits they sell. Doubt that is ever gonna happen though...
While we are all on subject - benefit of Swift Springs?

And would you do a Brand New Fortune Auto Kit or a 300mi cheaper YCW kit? Just asking...

bbnks2
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post

And would you do a Brand New Fortune Auto Kit or a 300mi cheaper YCW kit? Just asking...

bbnks2
While on the subject I have FA500 with Swift springs for sales. All four shocks need rebuild that starts at $55 per shock.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
While on the subject I have FA500 with Swift springs for sales. All four shocks need rebuild that starts at $55 per shock.
Hmmmm, you can PM me the details.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #31
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Hmmmm, you can PM me the details.
The Ycw you were looking at need custom springs. The 4k front rate will have the car slammed even at max adjustment. But, the coilovers themselves have been great.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #32
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

bbnks2
springs are springs, there are nothing fancy about them if they don't rust and break on you.

I would go with FA, since they can be easily rebuild here in the States if you ever need to.
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
Taskmaster2463.00
      03-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #33
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
springs are springs, there are nothing fancy about them if they don't rust and break on you.

I would go with FA, since they can be easily rebuild here in the States if you ever need to.
Thank you, I'm leaning in that direction for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #34
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Why is everyone hating on the Ohlins Road and Track. I had them for two years on my E46 M3 and they where amazing and I just ordered a set for my E92. I do agree that the spring rates from the factory are less than ideal, especially for and kind of track use but once upgraded with Swift springs I would venture to say they are some of the best if not the best Coilovers at there price point.

As far as rusting goes, I live in Rhode Island where they go absolutely nuts with salt in the winter and I DD'd my car every winter and never had any problems.

I would highly recommend Ohlins R&T's with Swift springs if you're looking for a set of Coilovers.
Reaching over from the 1 series forum world but a lot of hate on the ohlins R&T which are the same for the e90 & e82. For the price point I think they are a solid setup for mix use as long as you go with swift springs, compared to all others mentioned above do your research. My first track day I dropped 3 seconds a lap from 1:19s to 1:16s at NJMP Lighting with room to spare for a faster time. The coilovers and a proper alignment do wonders.

The problem with suspension debates, no one posts solid results of improvement I.e. a vs b under the same constraints and variables yielded this result.

Someone please go buy 5-6 different coilover setups and run laps to prove what is best!
Appreciate 0