E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > E93 top leak, told touchless car wash is a NO NO

10-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #45
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

well im a tech..and i can tell you they arent suppose to leak anywhere other than by the front and rear windows right where they meet and ONLY under hard washing in a carwash. they are not suppose to leak under any circumstances anywhere else. trust me..ive replaced a hard top before and had to make sure there were no leaks...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #46
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Do some consider this a leak ?
And yes when it rains, its a constant drip, and I can not wash the car without the seats getting wet.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #47
bfung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07' e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
Do some consider this a leak ?
And yes when it rains, its a constant drip, and I can not wash the car without the seats getting wet.

dude yours def has a prob...make sure u put the top up when you're on a flat road...i only feel leakage w/ my ears but can't see it w/ my eyes....and yes i may get that amount of leakage only if i open the door rite after the wash and it's coming from the edge where the top meets the windshield seal
      10-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #48
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

That's much worse than mine. Mine only leaks a few drop s from each corner and it doesn't leak in every touchless car wash, just happens in some.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #49
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

dude! to the dealer asap! wtf ???
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #50
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
dude! to the dealer asap! wtf ???
It's at the dealers, again, for the 27th day and the 3rd time
All they say is I can not take it to a TCW, funny I know friends with the same car that do not have the waterfall issue

I am at a lose of what to do about the car, to me is seems something is very very wrong.
I am sure it goes back to me buying the car with both right rims bent and the dealer saying they did not know about it
It's leaked like this since the day I got it.

Last edited by xtremecruiser; 10-20-2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: spell check
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #51
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's at the dealers, again, for the 27th day and the 3rd time
All they say is I can not take it to a TCW, funny I know friends with the same car that do not have the waterfall issue

I am at a lose of what to do about the car, to me is seems something is very very wrong.
I am sure it goes back to me buying the car with both right rims bent and the dealer saying they did not know about it
It's leaked like this since the day I got it.
how many miles do you have on the car and when did you buy it? call BMWNA since this is your 3rd time, and see if it qualifies for the lemon law...this should NOT happen on a 60k+ car....

I have an E93 and NO leaks whatsoever!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #52
MBE93
Gold Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Vert

I ran it through one once, against my better judgement...not for fear of leaks but of the towel-wielding swirl-installers waiting for me on the other end. It did not leak, nor should it.

These cars go through pretty extreme testing and they figured at some point that some wily individual out there might hatch a crazy scheme to run one through a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #53
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
I have a E93 convertible and if I take it through a touchless car wash, well its like I am being blasted by a water hose. Stealer says its normal for it to leak with the touchless car wash ?
A buddy in TX has a E93 and not a drop comes in when he runs it through the wash ( had the live demo a few months ago )
Yes it also leaks when it rains or I blast it with my water hose at home.

So who's E93 convertible can roll through the TCW and not get soaked ?
Thanks
Due to the frameless window design coupes in general are more prone to leak in these types of car washes. My wife CLK (non-vert) leaks as well. Your convert has many potential leak points (3 on roof alone).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #54
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow...Judging from the video, that's a Flood not a leak! I wonder if they may have left some of the rubber molding seals out at the factory or if there may have been a batch of bad ones.
I'd take that video footage & show it to your SA and then let him tell you that's normal!

I've had my E93 since June "07" and it's Never leaked. We have a water ban here in Atlanta so I take it to one of the Do-It-Yourself car washes where you pull it in a bay and get out and wash the car yourself w/ a High Pressure water wand. I wash it every couple of weeks or so and water has Never come in the cabin.
Hope you get this resolved.
-Rick
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #55
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Shit that is definately no normal...its not leaking its pouring in...I would think that is major...Bring the video tape, better yet...tell them to bring it to their detailing area and do exactly what was done with the video and let the SA and the tech sit in the car and let them get their pants wet and I am sure BMW will have it fixed for you....This is not a minor problem...I have my car for two years now and not even a drip of water in the cabin when it rains..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #56
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Funny after posting the video the dealer is overnighting a new seal for the top
The car has been in the shop more than I have had it, the dealerships manager ignores me and would not make the first months payment.
All I can say is it better not leak when I get it back, I am tried of dealing with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #57
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Due to the frameless window design coupes in general are more prone to leak in these types of car washes. My wife CLK (non-vert) leaks as well. Your convert has many potential leak points (3 on roof alone).
I have been through the same TCW with other E93's without seeing a drop let alone a waterfall
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #58
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
how many miles do you have on the car and when did you buy it? call BMWNA since this is your 3rd time, and see if it qualifies for the lemon law...this should NOT happen on a 60k+ car....

I have an E93 and NO leaks whatsoever!
BMWNA says it's the dealers issue

The main seal should be in sometime tomorrow, at least thats what they said
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #59
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I have never taken mine through a touchless (or any) car wash but I have used "spray it yourself" facilities. I have driven the car in torrential rain storms in Florida and New York. No sign of any keaks.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #60
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Nowhere near what I had to deal with in my old Saab vert...

But there's no way that's an ok thing for a new car of this caliber to be doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #61
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have never taken mine through a touchless (or any) car wash but I have used "spray it yourself" facilities. I have driven the car in torrential rain storms in Florida and New York. No sign of any keaks.

CA
A buddy of mine has a new mustang GT vert, he calls mine waterfall and drip drip
His does not leak at all, Can yall tell I am a little frustrated
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #62
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Wow, watching that video was just painful. My top does not leak at all, not 1 drop, even under a pressure washer I used one time to get rid of some tar from road work. Take that thing to the dealer, it's not supposed to do that at all!

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #63
Chico
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

WTF? that's just nuts man. My car doesn't leak at all under any type of water pressure. Your dealer should check if the roof is sitting straight before replacing anything. It has to be 100% straight or you'll conitnue to have that problem. You should check if your car was in an accident or hit somehow before you bought it.

I can't believe these idiots (BMW techs) haven't figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #64
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
WTF? that's just nuts man. My car doesn't leak at all under any type of water pressure. Your dealer should check if the roof is sitting straight before replacing anything. It has to be 100% straight or you'll conitnue to have that problem. You should check if your car was in an accident or hit somehow before you bought it.

I can't believe these idiots (BMW techs) haven't figured it out.
I think they have figured it out and do not want to return my money or give me a new car.
I expect when I get it back, it will have a EXTRA thick seal
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #65
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think they have figured it out and do not want to return my money or give me a new car.
I expect when I get it back, it will have a EXTRA thick seal
well if you get it back and it isn't fixed, lemon it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #66
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

E93 cabins are NOT supposed to leak. Think about the rationale behind it - BMW performs specific and vigorous leak tests, finds that some of its cars leak, even within a certain threshold, and says "oh it's ok, people will think it's normal, deal with it, and no matter what we won't lose money over this. Pass." I really hope not. It just doesn't make sense that these cars are designed to pass inspection with leakage issues.

I'd try a different dealer as well. Some suck at sales, others suck at service. Seems like you're dealing with the latter right now.
Appreciate 0