E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Back from body shop, swirls on B-pillar vinyl

07-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Back from body shop, swirls on B-pillar vinyl

Hi, so I had a minor repair done at a body shop (replaced rocker panel), and they gave me back the car with a "detail" that left very obvious swirls all up and down on the passenger side's B pillar (I have the shadowline trim) that is just horrendous. It is pretty obvious that they tried to use a machine polish or something, and ended up scratching it.

If I had known they were going to detail it and ruin it, I wouldn't have let them do it.

I am inexperienced in this matter. I want to call them out on it, but I would like some advice before doing so. No pictures right now, it is too dark. Maybe I'll take some in the morning.

What are some ways to fix this? I would preferably not have to do it myself, but I have lost faith in the body shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Pictures would really help so try to get those up. If they're deep scratches you might need to replace it. But I don't see any other way to resurface plastic...I'd think you would have to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Try some ScratchX and/or PlastX
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

I'm going to take some photos tomorrow. Honestly this is unacceptable. My car is less than a year old and they were perfectly undamaged when I left it with them, I have always carefully hand washed it each time.

I will push for them to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
I'm going to take some photos tomorrow. Honestly this is unacceptable. My car is less than a year old and they were perfectly undamaged when I left it with them, I have always carefully hand washed it each time.

I will push for them to replace it.
IMO, if you don't get it resolved on the spot then who knows if you did it or they did it. An example to share is.... I had a 2007 v6 accord full op. and I had it valet'd at some cafe, and my car the day before I gave it a handwash so I knew nothing was wrong with it. After leaving the cafe at 12:30am and coming home around 1am I parked it in my garage and saw this HUGE nasty painful scratch all UP IN MY BUMPER!

I called the cafe and told them to not let the valet guys go home and i rushed back to talk to them. By the time I returned to the cafe it was around 1:40 and the store said they had no choice but to let the valet go since they arn't their employees..... So it being like 2 in the morn and really flabergasted, I just went home and called them next morning (didnt pick up) so i called them on monday.

They gave me the same response "If you did not check and tell them on the spot, who knows for sure if it was us or it was you?"

They said I can make an insurance claim and go through with it all but they were pretty positive that they would do anything to avoid paying for it since there was no proof when it actually happened in their hands or at the place...

So, just in my experience, if you did not take pics there at the shop OR did not mention it at the spot/ or even within a day to them... It's your word against their's and... yada yada yada you know the rest.

I really hope they can be truthful about that it was their fault, and obviously nobody in their right mind (you) would make a sh*t false claim that someone else scratched the car when they didn't really do it.

best of luck OP, best of luck.