E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why Don't People Floss Their Teeth and Go to the Dentist?

07-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #45
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The biggest contributing factor around here is lack of education. Maintaining healthy teeth isn't important to most rural people (it's expensive and tedious) so it's not emphasized in the culture. The other side of this is that they just don't know any better. Diet is a big part of it in adults but we see a lot of 2-4 year olds come in needing 16 crowns because the parents put them to bed with coke to drink, or even worse, milk, because nobody ever told them that was bad.

Lots of it is fear of the dentist too. I can't tell you how many people come in covered head to toe in tattoos but just about pass out when you try to give them a lidocaine injection. There's a guy who works for the CIA who used to come in and he'd be on the floor praying, panting, sweating and shit as soon as he saw the chair. I was like shit, if this guy ever gets captured all they have to do is say they're taking him to the dentist and he'll tell them everything. I never understood why dentists are so thoroughly feared but it is a VERY common phobia to have.
I think mouth pain is just more painful than that a lot of other stuff. Like a simple injection at the dr office is no big deal, hurts for a second and that's it. However an injection in your gums forget about it. At least for me it's horrible and hurts for days.

That being said I'm not afraid of dentists and go every 6 months for my cleaning (cleanings don't hurt at all). Knock on cyber wood I've never had a cavity but did have my wisdom teeth removed and broke a tooth once and had to get a cap put on (that's when they did the injection).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #46
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I think mouth pain is just more painful than that a lot of other stuff. Like a simple injection at the dr office is no big deal, hurts for a second and that's it. However an injection in your gums forget about it. At least for me it's horrible and hurts for days.

That being said I'm not afraid of dentists and go every 6 months for my cleaning (cleanings don't hurt at all). Knock on cyber wood I've never had a cavity but did have my wisdom teeth removed and broke a tooth once and had to get a cap put on (that's when they did the injection).
That's true, it's painful at times. The mouth is also very much in one's personal space so they feel very violated, and helpless to a degree since they can't close it or talk properly while the work is being done.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #47
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Yeah, I had all 4 of mine removed at once. Wasn't so bad.

Then again, I've got a high tolerance for stuff.
I did as well, I will agree, the procedure isn't bad, but the days after were terrible... two days later, massive pain started that hydrocodone barely helped and I bled for like 5 days straight... believe it or not tea bags on my jaws were the only thing to stop that.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #48
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Is there actual data that shows flossing or going to the hygienist prevents more serious problems? I am sure most dentists insist there is but do they insist it to their family/friends (i.e. People they don't expect to be paid from).

Sounds like a placebo effect and marketing ploy. Some people get problems depending on the genetics, diet, eating habits, tobacco etc and some people don't. Know of people almost 70 yrs old who haven't done more than brush their teeth once a day and haven't had any teeth issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #49
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Haha, nice sob story but if they are at my company, they make plenty of money to take care of their grill and should develop new habits if their shitty ones don't have them going to the dentist regularly.

I know more about poor than you do, guaranteed. I've traveled extensively to poor countries, donated probably your yearly salary, and have very close ties with some of the poorest countries on Earth. Separate issue.
Irony.
      07-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #50
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Irony.
The thread refers to Americans with limitless opportunity and people who actually make 7 figures annually and yet still don't go to the dentist regularly or floss..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #51
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I did as well, I will agree, the procedure isn't bad, but the days after were terrible... two days later, massive pain started that hydrocodone barely helped and I bled for like 5 days straight... believe it or not tea bags on my jaws were the only thing to stop that.
The congealed blood was the worst. It was like blood jelly.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #52
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Irony.
The thread refers to Americans with limitless opportunity and people who actually make 7 figures annually and yet still don't go to the dentist regularly or floss..
I bet fear of dentist stops about 70% of ppl going the rest is probably economic/ignorance.
No doubt about it....dentists suck.....even ask the dentist,these guys are like a root canal...imagine the nastiness these guys put up with....plus they have one of the highest suicide rates in almost any profession.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #53
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
My parents cheaped out when I was kid and never fixed my crooked ass teeth, which I now have to deal with/pay for.

Luckily, there's Invisalign (invisible braces)

But still, $7,500 for 70 pieces of plastic
Wow, that's how much they cost, huh? I still remember, mine cost $1,650, and my parents paid over 24 mos., no interest, imagine that.

I was already in 9th grade so by the time I got them off I was 20. Back in the day all the dental assistants were hot, so I asked one out and she said yes. She was 23 and I was so into it, holy **** I got a date with a hot 23 yo.

It went well, so I asked her for another date, and she stood me up!! No sexting and cells back then. I was crushed and my 20 y.o. ball**' lifestyle came crashing down!
Props for the date, I salute you sir!

I got checked up on my first visit with a decent looking assistant, but she jammed a rod pipe in my ear during some sort of routine and made me temporarily deaf, so now I only go to the male assistants who have some working knowledge of how to perform a routine check up :

Had she not done that, would've loved to bend her sweet little Armenian butt over the chair and eat grapes out of her asshole
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #54
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Sonicare + Floss + Mouth Rinse everyday.

I need to combat all the Red Wine and Espresso that i let into my body.

Although, i need to get better about wearing that damn night guard. Apparently i grind my teeth pretty horribly

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #55
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Props for the date, I salute you sir!

I got checked up on my first visit with a decent looking assistant, but she jammed a rod pipe in my ear during some sort of routine and made me temporarily deaf, so now I only go to the male assistants who have some working knowledge of how to perform a routine check up :

Had she not done that, would've loved to bend her sweet little Armenian butt over the chair and eat grapes out of her asshole
Something has really changed over the years....I used to look forward to getting my haircut, as all the stylists tended to be stunning (not the case today?). Then, it seemed quite appropriate to ask for the same "stylist." I remember waiting a long time for Michelle. Some dude goes, "John, I can take you now." I replied, "Thanks, but I'm waiting for Michelle." He goes, "Gee Michelle, you must really give a good haircut." Yes she did....
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #56
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Sonicare twice-a-day is really all I do. Floss every once in awhile. I abhor going to the dentist just to have my gums pricked with a bunch of sharp instruments.

Bad genes mean my teeth are hypo-calcified so I'm fighting a losing battle anyways, they've been splotchy since they came in. I'm just gonna wait until I can afford it and go the cosmetic route.
      07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #57
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

View post on imgur.com

Plus flossing is for the poors, Waterpik or bust.
Appreciate 0