E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > E91s For Sale



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #1145
ramp
Private
14
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: E91, Lemans Blue
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Looks like good history.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #1146
tlow98
Colonel
860
Rep
2,710
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh11385 View Post
Yeah, E46 M3 wagons are popular these days and are great if you have the ability to build one - but I just don't love that gen (too much time porting around abused service loaners maybe), while always enjoyed the E90s more. I also didn't want to deal with S54 rod bearings or even a N54, especially after having two BMW V8s which are not fun to maintain, so a simple N52 like my S52 was preferred.

For a daily, reliable tank is nice and then throw on a few bits to make it slightly better. It's hard to find something as useful for <$20K that is as enjoyable to drive and is pretty modern without losing hydraulic steering and a NA I6 like the newer ones have done. I absolutely hated a F30 328 I drove and while a 340 was fast, I'd not sign up to own one outside of warranty.



Yes - getting 80% of my X5's usefulness and even just 60% of the fun of my E36 M3 was a good recipe for a daily. If I want better handling, I still have the M3 but it isn't the most comfortable car to take every day (and don't want to winter it). So I'll take a soft, slow car and refine as necessary. I got a low mileage one and plan to have it for a while. But wasn't in the market for a unicorn, nor would I have spent double what I did on one either. If I wanted power, a turbo engine would fit but no matter how much fun that could be it's not really the intent of the car and fast dailies don't help if you spend a lot of time in traffic (and even dailying a CTS-V on the highway can get old). So in the end, while they might not be amazing to some - I think E91s are a pretty good overall car if you find them for a reasonable price.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I agree with pretty much everything you say here which is why I bought the car. I jsut find the price premium for 'unicorns' to be laughably unsustainable. Look at the value of 100k+ mile E46 wagons. The E91 will be valued similarly, I believe.

I have plans, too - mostly suspension related. This thing needs the most help in that department. The nice thing is that they are a great starting point for improvements!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #1147
M_Dennis87
Private First Class
M_Dennis87's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Touring
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Someone better hop on this one...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=328I

2011 71k miles, rwd, 6MT, $15k

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #1148
ubersteuer
e36 Addict
ubersteuer's Avatar
United_States
205
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: e36, e82, e91
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [4.75]
1992 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Yup. Can't hurt. Just to be clear I paid $12k for my E91 (it was higher mileage but in great shape). I capped my budget at $8k for whatever aftermarket work I plan to do, including the swap. Always want to have a little buffer just in case because cost overruns are common.

Obligatory disclaimer: it can be a pain in the ass. I'm doing it because I wanted a project, and I'm comfortable taking on the cost. You have to be prepared if things to go wrong. If it were any other car I'd sell it in a heartbeat and buy a 6MT.
The costs make sense if you can snag a cheap donor. I figured it would be $15k for something in decent shape. Then $10k for the M3 front end conversion done right (new parts painted and assembled at a high end shop). Odd and ends like wheels, suspension, and mods would be another $5k.

So you're doing a trans + complete M sport swap for $8k? The trans, diff, driveshaft, pedal box, etc... are around $2k in second hand parts. Labor is free as I'm assuming it'll be a home garage swap. The M Sport exterior bits are another $2k + $1k in paint. Interior might get expensive unless you can source things used or cheaply. You'll need sport seats, steering wheel + airbag, headliner, most likely trim unless you already have non-wood. Then wheels and any mods.

I'd ballpark it at closer to $10k to have it *done right* Corners can be cut and costs lowered if you find used bumpers and DIY paint or get it done at a lower end paint shop. Either way have fun, I'm on the same journey with my E36 so I'm in no position to judge! Costs always seem to creep up with "while I'm in there" parts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh11385 View Post
Yes - getting 80% of my X5's usefulness and even just 60% of the fun of my E36 M3 was a good recipe for a daily. If I want better handling, I still have the M3 but it isn't the most comfortable car to take every day (and don't want to winter it). So I'll take a soft, slow car and refine as necessary. I got a low mileage one and plan to have it for a while. But wasn't in the market for a unicorn, nor would I have spent double what I did on one either. If I wanted power, a turbo engine would fit but no matter how much fun that could be it's not really the intent of the car and fast dailies don't help if you spend a lot of time in traffic (and even dailying a CTS-V on the highway can get old). So in the end, while they might not be amazing to some - I think E91s are a pretty good overall car if you find them for a reasonable price.
Totally agreed. I'm a long time E36 addict as well!

E91's are the perfect compromise daily, yet they don't really compromise much. As with 99% of BMW's, suspension and tires really wake the chassis up. I could live without the PE and 3IM but they're nice to have. Suspension is a must, especially as these cars age.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #1149
yuiou
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

alpine white on red-brown in Toronto:
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20.../19_10731591_/
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #1150
Thorin
Private First Class
39
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: e91 6MT, Saab 9-3 Aero
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfaust View Post
2012 M Sport Auto AWD, Black on Oyster for $19k at Carmax
https://www.carmax.com/car/15944995
M-Sport... Automatic?!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #1151
4 Doors
First Lieutenant
4 Doors's Avatar
70
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiou View Post
alpine white on red-brown in Toronto:
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20.../19_10731591_/
Dang. $9800?! This could be a great one for a conversion!
__________________
Instagram: 4doors

Current: 2008 E90 335xi Sport (Stock for now!)
Past: 1996 E36 328i Sport (bought in 2007)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #1152
sempaipaul
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2006 E91 Manual
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

iTrader: (0)

Hi folks!

Selling my e91. 6 speed! Check it out:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...619421164.html

Thanks,
Paul
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #1153
nfaust
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: E46 ZHP; E36 M3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Dang. $9800?! This could be a great one for a conversion!
Any one know how difficult it would be to import one? I've read mixed reviews on the process in general, but nothing specific for E9X's / modern BMW's
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #1154
bigD77
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ME

iTrader: (0)

07 328I w/sport package

This one looks interesting and the price is right, even though it's an automatic.

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...644274622.html
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #1155
sturgeongeneral
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
The costs make sense if you can snag a cheap donor. I figured it would be $15k for something in decent shape. Then $10k for the M3 front end conversion done right (new parts painted and assembled at a high end shop). Odd and ends like wheels, suspension, and mods would be another $5k.

So you're doing a trans + complete M sport swap for $8k? The trans, diff, driveshaft, pedal box, etc... are around $2k in second hand parts. Labor is free as I'm assuming it'll be a home garage swap. The M Sport exterior bits are another $2k + $1k in paint. Interior might get expensive unless you can source things used or cheaply. You'll need sport seats, steering wheel + airbag, headliner, most likely trim unless you already have non-wood. Then wheels and any mods..

I'd ballpark it at closer to $10k to have it *done right* Corners can be cut and costs lowered if you find used bumpers and DIY paint or get it done at a lower end paint shop. Either way have fun, I'm on the same journey with my E36 so I'm in no position to judge! Costs always seem to creep up with "while I'm in there" parts.
To be clear I capped my budget somewhat arbitrarily at $8k because I don't feel like spending any more on a higher-mileage car that will become my "beater." I grant that $10k is probably a more accurate estimate. I'm still not sure if I'll do a complete M-Sport conversion. I might just do the bang-for-your-buck items like the front bumper and wheels. My main goal with this project is the tranny swap, but even that is looking like it'll cost a lot less than I thought.

I know what you mean about cutting corners but it all depends on what you're after. I much prefer to pick up parts used when possible. Buying parts new doesn't make much sense to me when there are typically plenty of good used ones out there (I know, it depends on the part). The wheels I can certainly pick up used. I've seen some good deals out there on sets with minor scuffs and dings that even with rehab will cost a fraction of what you'd pay for a new set. I already picked up the trans, driveshaft and pedal assembly for about $1k (pulled from a salvage car w/ 120k miles). My E91 already has the sport package. I'll probably keep the steering wheel since it's heated. I picked up the trim used for ~$300. I may pick up the M-Sport shift knob or just go with something else.

But yeah, costs can certainly balloon, hence the budget. At the end of the day it is a project and a bit of an experiment, and I'm curious to see how it'll come together.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #1156
Tedmondsjr
New Member
11
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2010 328i (e91)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Another New England e91 (AWD, manual, bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue):

https://www.championmotorsnh.com/mob...?vid=271702839
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #1157
CSI
Private First Class
United_States
35
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 09e92m3 & 02e39m5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

LCI 6mt non-sport xdrive in NH

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/2012-bmw-328i-xdrive-wagon/6641489720.html
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #1158
Beemer_Dreamer_MMM
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 1989 325i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Wagon with a warranty

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...1-bmw-328i-e91
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #1159
makke
New Member
11
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i, 182K and counting
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Geez, we are starting to get into the 1M price territory with these. 33 large buys a very nice e9X M3, for crying out loud! By the way, that $40K wagon at EAG...., yeah, it's sold...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #1160
Mr._E
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: Looking
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Wis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmondsjr View Post
Another New England e91 (AWD, manual, bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue):

https://www.championmotorsnh.com/mob...?vid=271702839
Gotta love the blue
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #1161
CSBM5
Lieutenant Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
810
Rep
1,791
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makke View Post
Geez, we are starting to get into the 1M price territory with these. 33 large buys a very nice e9X M3, for crying out loud! By the way, that $40K wagon at EAG...., yeah, it's sold...
It's truly insane. I have a 37k miles 2011 E90 M3 6MT slicktop garaged 24/7 since new, etc, beast that I often drive on the same day as the E91. These cars couldn't be further apart in the driving experience. I've done suspension, wheel and tire mods to the E91 also, but it can't hold a candle to my M3. There is nothing that fantastically special about a 6MT N52 as I have one of those too (since new) in the form of an E90 330i.

Anyone looking to sell a 6MT E91, especially if it is low miles and late model -- SELL NOW! Strike while the iron is white hot.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2006 E90 330i 6MT Electric Red, ZSP (M2C will replace this one )
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #1162
Duck360198
Major
103
Rep
1,466
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makke View Post
By the way, that $40K wagon at EAG...., yeah, it's sold...
Really? Sold? At that "laughable" price? Shocking!

Arguably one of the best m sports available in quite some time. I'm surprised it didn't sell sooner.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #1163
Echoninety
Second Lieutenant
Echoninety's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i e90 Sport 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makke View Post
Geez, we are starting to get into the 1M price territory with these. 33 large buys a very nice e9X M3, for crying out loud! By the way, that $40K wagon at EAG...., yeah, it's sold...
Go figure.
__________________
2006 330i Sparkling Graphite Metallic #SaveTheManuals
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #1164
4 Doors
First Lieutenant
4 Doors's Avatar
70
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
I might as well buy an E91 off some local old guy on Craigslist. Maybe 140,000 miles for $8000 then sell it on BaT for let's say $20,000...

__________________
Instagram: 4doors

Current: 2008 E90 335xi Sport (Stock for now!)
Past: 1996 E36 328i Sport (bought in 2007)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #1165
Duck360198
Major
103
Rep
1,466
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
It's truly insane. I have a 37k miles 2011 E90 M3 6MT slicktop garaged 24/7 since new, etc, beast that I often drive on the same day as the E91. These cars couldn't be further apart in the driving experience. I've done suspension, wheel and tire mods to the E91 also, but it can't hold a candle to my M3. There is nothing that fantastically special about a 6MT N52 as I have one of those too (since new) in the form of an E90 330i.

Anyone looking to sell a 6MT E91, especially if it is low miles and late model -- SELL NOW! Strike while the iron is white hot.
Why is it insane? Because it's not an M car? It doesn't have to be a powerhouse to be special. It's extremely functional, looks great compared to many other comparable wagons, has RWD and AWD variants, 6 speed option, a good engine, etc. production numbers alone on 6MT M Sports are enough to keep prices aggressive. As long as EAG has an interest in the E91, the prices will continue to slowly rise...much like nearly every other series in their inventory.

Anyone with a low mileage, late model, 6mt, RWD variant are sitting on a sought after gold mine. Yes they'd do well on the sale today, but they'll do even better in the future...especially with an m sport. It's not time to sell...it's time to buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #1166
ubersteuer
e36 Addict
ubersteuer's Avatar
United_States
205
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: e36, e82, e91
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [4.75]
1992 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
Why is it insane? Because it's not an M car? It doesn't have to be a powerhouse to be special. It's extremely functional, looks great compared to many other comparable wagons, has RWD and AWD variants, 6 speed option, a good engine, etc. production numbers alone on 6MT M Sports are enough to keep prices aggressive. As long as EAG has an interest in the E91, the prices will continue to slowly rise...much like nearly every other series in their inventory.

Anyone with a low mileage, late model, 6mt, RWD variant are sitting on a sought after gold mine. Yes they'd do well on the sale today, but they'll do even better in the future...especially with an m sport. It's not time to sell...it's time to buy.
I agree. There is no newer replacement (in 6MT RWD) which means prices will stay flat or continue to climb as long as the economy is strong. My wallet felt a little lighter as mine ticked over the 60k mark last week.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST